Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 07:51 AM

156 posts, read 710,874 times

Advertisements

My husband and I relocated to Florida from Long Island one year ago, we love it, but the cost is just as much. On Long Island, you can expect to get a home for $500,000 that needs work, taxes of about $7,000 a year, cheap homeowners insurance, but still pay all of the state taxes on your paycheck. One of my friends pays $12,000 a year in taxes. Your oil bills in the winter can go as high as $400 a month, with electric bills also very high in the summer over $400. Florida is not perfect, neither is NY, you just have to be happy where you live. Our home cost $146,000 in 1992, and we sold it for $500,000 a mere 13 years later. Costs have inflated EVERYWHERE!!
They are driving the middle class away, I feel for young people and my kids and that generation also.

Old 11-27-2006, 08:10 AM

291 posts, read 1,113,483 times
Default Very interesting...

First let me say that I'm not siding with the so-called "whiners" or with those who disagree with them for that matter. Rather just responding to the quote below and stating that Florida is just one state that is suffering from many of the same issues that residents of so many other states are facing these days.

"Our property taxes are almost as much as our house payment. Our insurance went up as well this year. Affordable housing is a joke, young people cannot afford to buy a house, older people on fixed incomes are getting taxed out of their homes."

I'm born and bred in New Jersey and we are looking to leave for some of the very same complaints I'm hearing from Floridians. As I am not from Florida and don't have any friends or relatives currently buying homes there, I don't presume to know all the problems that exist, but I will say that for me personally, all of these same problems exist up North with the exception of hurricanes. Foreclosures are reaching an all time high, NJ has the highest property tax in the nation, auto insurance is high, housing prices have gone up so much that it is nearly impossible for a young couple to realize the dream of owning their own home. My husband and I both make a very good living and we do not foresee the ability to purchase a home here. Perhaps that is the case in Florida also. We would not be moving to Florida thinking that we will escape these problems or will not face many of the same issues. There are simply things that Florida offers that Jersey certainly does not, things that we like about Florida which are strictly a matter of individual preference and so we feel like the price of living there, although not necessarily more affordable, will be more bearable given the quality of life we hope to enjoy. I could be wrong, but you take a chance and hope for the best...that's life, right?

Old 11-27-2006, 08:21 AM

208 posts, read 974,559 times
Buying a home is never a poor decision, but obviously timing it right could be the biggest decision of your life.

Bambi the best thing you can do is try to start saving up for a good down payment. You're right, there's no way you can swing a 200k house on 40k/year. I'll tell you what I did but then again I'll probably hear a lot from the peanut gallery about how dumb I am. I decided to take out a 30 year Interest Only fixed loan. What that does for me is give me a low payment for 10 years, and also allows me to lock in a decent rate (I got 6%) for the whole term. My thinking is that when the principal comes into play in 10 years, I'll hopefully be making more money to cover the added principal amount. However, I have other options at that time. I can either refinance, if the rates are at a decent level, or I can sell and move on. Despite the negativity of the current market, I'm fairly confident that I'll have some equity built up on the house within 10 years.

Old 11-27-2006, 05:08 PM

44 posts, read 154,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
Your honesty is not everyone's honesty. What may be true for you may not be true for all Floridians.

I love my brand new affordable home, my affordable insurance, and my property taxes are a bargain. I'd be hard pressed to go anywhere else in this nation and find a $500,000 home with property taxes as reasonable as I have now. My a/c bill is a drop in the bucket compared to what my heating costs would be up north. I don't pay state income tax. I guess my honesty is different.
Must be nice to afford a $500,000 house and insurance and taxes. Where did you say you live? We are struggling to raise two kids, my husband and I both work at good jobs. I am a teacher and he is a firefighter. With taxes, insurance and trying to save money for college and retirement there isnt much left. Your ac is a drop in the bucket? Are you sure you live in Florida? Yes your honesty is different, you are not the one affected by the high cost of living. It isnt just Florida, it is all over. So walk in someones shoes who is struggling and then you can talk about your $500,000 house.

Old 11-27-2006, 06:26 PM

598 posts, read 2,268,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchgrl View Post
So walk in someones shoes who is struggling and then you can talk about your $500,000 house.

Frankly I'd rather listen to the whining than the boasting...
At least the "whiners" have empathy for people going through difficult times.

Old 11-27-2006, 06:35 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,571,381 times
America as a whole is having major major problems. It is not just Florida, NY, NJ, Mass, etc. it is everywhere. What this country has to do is stop sending money to foreign countries and start taking care of it's own people!!!!
So it shall be written, so it shall be done!

Old 11-27-2006, 06:39 PM

44 posts, read 154,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboosmom View Post
America as a whole is having major major problems. It is not just Florida, NY, NJ, Mass, etc. it is everywhere. What this country has to do is stop sending money to foreign countries and start taking care of it's own people!!!!
So it shall be written, so it shall be done!
Amen bamboosmom!!!!!

Old 11-27-2006, 06:49 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,571,381 times
Default Goodness if we as Americans can't get along I feel sorry for all of us

Quote:
Amen bamboosmom!!!!!
We really need to start thinking with our heads and hearts. We all are fellow Americans aren't we??? Why do we all hate so much? What is wrong with us?
Wake up people. Stop hating so much and start thinking about the values of life. I am so tired hearing all this bickering on these forums. It it terrible that we all can't come together and start thinking of the children. If we as adults act this way, what is this showing our children???
It is like what the children of Bagdad see everyday,- hate, killing and violence.
Is that a good example for children? I don't think so.
So, as AMERICANS, why not start acting with some compassion for each other? Our country can come together and be stronger. It takes only one smile, one kind gesture. Pass it on. Maybe in a few years we will make this country a better place for all. It can all start here on our city-data forums. PLEASE PASS IT ON.
Let's see if we all can be kinder to each other right here.
Happy Holidays to all!

Old 11-27-2006, 09:32 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,154,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboosmom View Post
We really need to start thinking with our heads and hearts. We all are fellow Americans aren't we??? Why do we all hate so much? What is wrong with us?
Wake up people. Stop hating so much and start thinking about the values of life. I am so tired hearing all this bickering on these forums. It it terrible that we all can't come together and start thinking of the children. If we as adults act this way, what is this showing our children???
It is like what the children of Bagdad see everyday,- hate, killing and violence.
Is that a good example for children? I don't think so.
So, as AMERICANS, why not start acting with some compassion for each other? Our country can come together and be stronger. It takes only one smile, one kind gesture. Pass it on. Maybe in a few years we will make this country a better place for all. It can all start here on our city-data forums. PLEASE PASS IT ON.
Let's see if we all can be kinder to each other right here.
Happy Holidays to all!

You hit the nail on the head again!!!! For many is easy to complain just to get the steam out. IF as you posted: Our country can come together and be stronger. We can overcome anything in front of us. Maybe, just maybe the Florida forum will be a more friendly and positive place to post.

Old 11-28-2006, 05:26 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,363,197 times
Quote:
Must be nice to afford a $500,000 house and insurance and taxes. Where did you say you live? We are struggling to raise two kids, my husband and I both work at good jobs. I am a teacher and he is a firefighter. With taxes, insurance and trying to save money for college and retirement there isnt much left. Your ac is a drop in the bucket? Are you sure you live in Florida? Yes your honesty is different, you are not the one affected by the high cost of living. It isnt just Florida, it is all over. So walk in someones shoes who is struggling and then you can talk about your $500,000 house.
Bchgrl, as my name suggests, I live in Vero Beach. And as a teacher and a firefighter, you make considerably more money than we do. We're living on an $80,000 (before deductions) annual pension. We drive old cars and watch our spending. It's not how much money you make but how you live. And yes, my a/c is a drop in the bucket. My electric bill isn't even half of what it use to cost us up north for our electric and gas. Our property taxes are protected under the homestead at just over $4,500. Florida is a bargain!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida