Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 04:53 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,214,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Florida has a large population of obese people. States up north/in the midwest have healthier people. In a way, Florida's humidity provides an excuse for people to not get out there and exercise.
Actually, Florida is number 37 out of 51 for obesity according to the most recent data. In other words, the 15th skinniest state.

Adult Obesity in the United States: The State of Obesity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 07:45 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,150,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Minnesota, Iowa and Wisconsin are some of the healthiest states in the country and they are all in super cold climates, I don't think its the state its more the individual person and their age/in they choose to stay fit.
Minnesotans are indeed very healthy, it surprised me. But it's not from any outdoor activities like they try to claim.

I never seen a busy LA fitness as the one in Roseville in the winter. I first thought Minnesotans just loved the gym, but I noticed in the summer the crowds thinned out to normal levels. In the winter they just go to the gym and stay there, so Minnesotans are healthy in spite of their weather not due to it.

Wisconsinites and Iowans are not particularly healthy.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:30 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,509,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Actually, Florida is number 37 out of 51 for obesity according to the most recent data. In other words, the 15th skinniest state.

That figures.
In a state with so many elderly people the chances of finding an old,obese person are comparative slim,so to speak.
I do feel sorry for really fat people who must find it difficult in the heat but,having said that,it's rare to see overweight people actually out on the sidewalk in the evening getting some exercise.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:57 PM

623 posts, read 965,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post

Its good to see someone produce facts to back their statements rather than people badmouthing Florida just on their say so

Old 02-25-2015, 03:16 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,221,289 times
With the exception of Hawaii, the healthiest states seem to be cold weather ones.

The 10 Healthiest States, and 10 Least-Healthy States - Health.com

Florida ranks in at number 32 with Hawaii being number 1 and Mississippi being number 50.

2014 - Americas Health Rankings report - State Health Statistics brought to you by AmericasHealthRankings.org.

Some Northern state might have more fatties than Florida but apparently they're healthy and active.

Old 02-25-2015, 11:36 PM

239 posts, read 326,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I don't think it comes down to weather necessarily as much as it does for urban infrastructure. People who live in places where the automobile isn't overwhelmingly the primary mode of transportation tend to be more active and healthy.
It just shows.. the state that promotes healthy alternative living has the most people driving cars. California. Its a very hypocritical place in that regard and many others.

Old 02-25-2015, 11:44 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,465,929 times
What is wrong with being large, I am not fat I am just big boned I am 6'2 235lbs lol

Old 02-25-2015, 11:47 PM

239 posts, read 326,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
What you mentioned is my usual sandwich, especially when I'm having difficulty finding healthy eats. I asked for the grilled chicken sandwich twice in restaurants in Mississippi, and only one would offer it to me. However if I wanted Fried or BBQ they had it on their menu.
Jim, when I go out to eat I like getting something I cant make at home as easily. That being most of the fattening foods that take a ton of extensive labor at home to make the right way such as fried chicken, bbq, eggplant or chicken parm done right. I try to avoid Mcdonalds or BK. But even in Oregon where you lived (you talked to me before) people loved fatty food as evident to all their eateries and foodtrucks with lots of greasy food. Also Portland area was not as fit as people liked to make it especially once you got outside the city area.

But ya a grilled chicken sandwich is real good, but its something even I can make at home here and I don't even have a kitchen but was blessed with 2 bbq grills if I take the time to set them up.

Old 02-25-2015, 11:56 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,509,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InGateway View Post
Jim, when I go out to eat I like getting something I cant make at home as easily. That being most of the fattening foods that take a ton of extensive labor at home to make the right way such as fried chicken, bbq, eggplant or chicken parm done right. I try to avoid Mcdonalds or BK. But even in Oregon where you lived (you talked to me before) people loved fatty food as evident to all their eateries and foodtrucks with lots of greasy food. Also Portland area was not as fit as people liked to make it especially once you got outside the city area.

But ya a grilled chicken sandwich is real good, but its something even I can make at home here and I don't even have a kitchen but was blessed with 2 bbq grills if I take the time to set them up.
Here's one quick way not to gain weight wherever and whatever you eat out in the US - eat half the portion and throw the rest away.You'll still be eating sufficient for your needs.

Old 02-26-2015, 03:59 AM

86 posts, read 222,009 times
I guess it all depends on how much you like to go out in the cold weather. I know that here in Buffalo we have had the coldest February on record. Even my dog doesn't want to go outside. As I have stated before, to each there own. For me, it is much easier and enjoyable going out for a morning walk in warm weather than in 20 degree weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida