Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Texas (Dallas or Houston) or Florida (Tampa Area or Orlando Area)
Texas (Dallas Area) 2 7.69%
Texas (Houston Area) 3 11.54%
Florida (Tampa Area) 5 19.23%
Florida (Orlando Area) 5 19.23%
Florida (general) 8 30.77%
Texas (general) 3 11.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 12:26 AM

14 posts, read 19,176 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move to Florida (Tampa area to Orlando) or Texas (Dallas or Houston). I am more curious about the enjoyment of day to day life; opinions as to which place was most enjoyable to live. I would like to see posts from people who have lived in, at least, two of the locations listed. Just seeking opinions in regard to which place they liked the best (and maybe a short blurb why). Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 05:31 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,984,073 times
There isn't much of a comparison between your choices. Houston and Dallas are the 4th and 9th largest cities in the US, Tampa is 53rd (neighboring St Petersburg is 78th) and Orlando is 77th. Houston is by far the least expensive of the four and your dollar would go furthest (as well as salary), while Tampa, Orlando and Dallas are about equal in terms of cost of living (salaries will be highest in Dallas and Houston). The job market will be better in both Houston and Dallas versus Tampa and Orlando although unemployment rates are similar, with deeper and more diverse employment options.

Old 08-24-2013, 04:57 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,888,780 times
Default This is a EVIL Poll

Shame on you! there is so many pluses and Minus of Florida and Texas! I had to go with the home.

Old 05-31-2015, 02:06 PM

779 posts, read 928,338 times
I'm surprised that this thread didn't get more participation.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:48 PM

8,074 posts, read 4,749,870 times
I tend not to participate in these increasingly-frequent "Tell me where I should move/live" threads, mostly because the people who originate such threads seem to want total internet strangers to give them life-changing recommendations based on...well, very little, other than their personal opinions. I can only hope that the person is actually just seeking validation of a plan they already intend to act upon, and not really just throwing the dice with their lives the way the posts often sound. Whatever the case, I don't feel comfortable sending a total stranger down the proverbial primrose path.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:03 PM

779 posts, read 928,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
I tend not to participate in these increasingly-frequent "Tell me where I should move/live" threads, mostly because the people who originate such threads seem to want total internet strangers to give them life-changing recommendations based on...well, very little, other than their personal opinions. I can only hope that the person is actually just seeking validation of a plan they already intend to act upon, and not really just throwing the dice with their lives the way the posts often sound. Whatever the case, I don't feel comfortable sending a total stranger down the proverbial primrose path.
Getting the opinion(s) of complete strangers who have lived where you're looking to move is a hell of a lot cheaper than just up in moving there or even buying a ticket, flying there, and staying at a hotel for a week or two. For the most part, a person can get a decent idea of what a place will be like from reading hundreds of posts about a city. I've lived in 7 states and have visited a few dozen cities in the U.S., the cities that are hated on CD are usually well deserving of hate.

Old 05-31-2015, 08:48 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,847,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
Very true, especially when the OPs don't bother to say anything about their own wants and needs. Are they people who hate to wear shoes or people who need the symphony and opera nearby? I wouldn't want to take the time to relate everything I know about beaches, bars and restaurants if the poster wanted only to be near extensive shopping.

Nothing about the importance of work, school, or traffic, what are they really interested in?

Old 06-01-2015, 05:58 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,984,073 times
Not to mention they're asking which is better in the Florida Forum which won't exactly elicit the most objective response in comparison to Texas.

Old 06-03-2015, 02:25 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,345,540 times
"people who originate such threads seem to want total internet strangers to give them life-changing recommendations based on...well, very little, other than their personal opinions".

I've come to think exactly the same thing. While its helpful to hear others experiences, everyone has a different experience. It's THEIR experience only. In fact, I find it more confusing this way. If someone needs a specific answer to a specific question, that's a little different, but there is honestly no substitute for making an extended visit before you move someplace. Not that its required. A lot may depend on timing.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:39 AM

8,074 posts, read 4,749,870 times
Not to mention the disposition of the person offering the advice/opinion. One who loves heat will speak in glowing terms about the 90-degree summers, while a cold-natured person will rant about it getting above 90 for four or five months a year. Same conditions, but very different commentary.

So often, such threads as these end up with "A" saying something like "Oh, there are bugs and lizards everywhere!", followed by "B" saying "I've never seen bugs or lizards where I live," followed by "A" insisting that the creepy-crawlies are unbearable, while "B" digs in their heels insisting they are not a problem. In both cases, they are correct--in their individual experiences. You can't generalize when discussing such a varied place, filled with people who all have differing experiences. But some folks take those differing experiences as a challenge to argue, as if you are accusing them of lying or misrepresenting the situation. Thus the thread asking for general advice ends up a series of sniping, catty posts about something very individualized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida