Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 05:13 AM

2,919 posts, read 3,165,414 times

Advertisements

Just curious, as I have family and some friends in FL, and have not been there for years, since I been out west most my years. Been looking at Marion, and the Citrus county areas of FL, everywhere else in FL, well, to be honest, scares me a bit. Just curious, and the only areas I can think of, that I would like, might be Marion and Citrus counties. And it seems like many people seem to hate FL and get out after a few years. Any nice small rural areas left in FL to retire to that are clean, nice and safe???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 06:53 AM

26,836 posts, read 43,315,276 times
There are many clean, nice and safe areas in Florida. What is your perception that scares you about much of the state?

Old 03-03-2015, 05:19 PM

Crime, poverty, crowds, hurricane's....and seediness, and other oddities,...seems I got that feeling when in FL, some years ago. I can think that maybe 30 years ago might have been the choice time to relocate to FL. Seems like a lots of 3rd world country type aspects to FL nowadays, Im just used to the clean, mostly middle class open spaces of the Pacific northwest...seems like I read a lot of disdain for FL after some folks have lived there for a time, and cant wait to get out. We don't have many eyesores and really run down sections here in the PNW, don't know if I want to see such places again in my lifetime, or live near any, to be honest. I guess I am going on what I have been reading about FL here on CD from others.

Old 03-03-2015, 05:38 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,744,041 times
There seems to be something about CD Florida Forums (and a couple of others) that attract naysayers. I'm thinking that it is because most people are looking for positive input ... while others are just on CD to 'rain on their parade.' Go figure???

Statistically, Florida is now #2 or #3 state in the country in population. Over 75 million people visit Florida annually and over 350K people move here from out-of-state every year. More significant hurricanes have hit Omaha, Nebraska over the past 10-years, than have hit Florida. Prior to that, we lived directly on the Central East Coast of Florida, which prior to 2004, had not been directly hit by a hurricane in 25-years! (Of course, the media still hypes Florida hurricanes as though one hit here every year, but, how credible is the media ... really (?)

There are probably more small to mid-size, safe, family-friendly towns in Florida than in most states, due to the higher number of small to mid-size cities. There are also 8-10 significant job markets (as compared with 2-4 in most states.

Bottom line, Don't believe all the negative opinions you read on CD about Florida (or anything else). Ask people who really know and can speak from experience.

Old 03-03-2015, 05:49 PM

I am just researching at this point some. Can you recommend any affordable nice small cities, or large towns? Ocala?, Dunnellon?, Stuart? Inverness? Sebring?....looking for a little acreage with a house...has to have at least 1 acre of land....prefer rural, and not too backwoods. I like backwoods in the northwest, but backwoods in the south, may be a different animal altogether I am assuming. I can easily reside in the backwoods of northern Idaho, cause it is still very conservative libertarian, and folks accept you easily. I would not want to live near any crime zones, and run down ghettos. Just being honest.

Old 03-03-2015, 05:53 PM

172 posts, read 237,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folkguitarist555 View Post
Crime, poverty, crowds, hurricane's....and seediness, and other oddities,...seems I got that feeling when in FL, some years ago. I can think that maybe 30 years ago might have been the choice time to relocate to FL. Seems like a lots of 3rd world country type aspects to FL nowadays, Im just used to the clean, mostly middle class open spaces of the Pacific northwest...seems like I read a lot of disdain for FL after some folks have lived there for a time, and cant wait to get out. We don't have many eyesores and really run down sections here in the PNW, don't know if I want to see such places again in my lifetime, or live near any, to be honest. I guess I am going on what I have been reading about FL here on CD from others.
Its because you very apparently don't understand that Florida is a Southern state. "Small town Florida" is usually synonymous with "Rural Florida" which goes hand in hand with all manner of things that are inescapably concomitant with the rural South (and "Rural Most Everywhere", these days. There ain't no escaping meth). Parts of Rural FL look like Rural Alabama or Rural Mississippi or Rural Louisiana.

BUT MUH IDEALISM! WHUDABOUT MUH IDEALISM! I WUNT MUH IDYLLIC SMALL TOWN WHERE ITS WARM YEAR ROUND AND AIN'T NOTHIN' EVER WRONG!

Well write a book about it because here in reality, it doesn't exist.

There are all manner of places in Florida that are wonderful, but City-Data is middle earth for itinerant kooks in search of a magical geographic panacea. No matter where they wind up, they are due for a letdown.

And lets just say for a minute that FL natives, like myself, knew of a place or two that fit the bill. What are the odds that we would even tell anyone? We watched helplessly as the locusts descended on everyplace else and ruined it. What possible incentive could someone have, who has discovered such a place, to tell anyone else and open the floodgate?

I read somewhere that ancient Vikings named Greenland "Greenland" and Iceland "Iceland" to trick people into avoiding the latter and moving to the former, which was really barren and awful. There's a little place in FL where I have some property and I intend to one day retire. Slowly but surely, I've been salting the internet with bits and pieces of extremely derogatory information about it. None of its true, mind you, but you wouldn't know it if you're some clueless foreigner deciding where to live based on internet research. Indeed, page 1 of Google belongs all to be for my sleepy little hamlet. Its all very alarming stuff and I'd have it no other way.

I watched you jagoffs destroy St Augustine. You won't be getting this place

Old 03-03-2015, 06:18 PM

seems like FL is now a part of Cuba, on one half, then then the rest of the state belongs to the Northeast and the Midwest....looks like it aint southern anymore imo.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:21 PM

12 posts, read 13,542 times
We are military and live in NW Florida in a small town called Niceville. It is one of the safest communities in Florida. It is relatively small. Has an active retirement community. It is a little bit cooler than other parts of Florida. There are hurricanes, but they tend not to hit us-- there hasn't been a hurricane near this area since Ivan (which was almost 10 years ago).

Old 03-03-2015, 06:34 PM

172 posts, read 237,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folkguitarist555 View Post
seems like FL is now a part of Cuba, on one half, then then the rest of the state belongs to the Northeast and the Midwest....looks like it aint southern anymore imo.
Ahh, I see.

"IMO". And just what, pray tell, do you base that "O" on?

Old 03-03-2015, 06:49 PM

From what I hear and read from others. I read that there are still like over 300,000 people a year moving to FL....wont be no room to breathe down there soon it seems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida