Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Relocated from Long Island to Florida, Quality schools in Florida, Florida schools get a bad rap; children and neighbors all think Florida schools are quality

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 10:11 AM

991 posts, read 4,618,901 times

Advertisements

Hi I relocated from LI to Spring Hill Fla, I really think that the schools are fine. 8 out of 10 of my neighbors have relocated from LI and like the schools also. My children also say that the children are a lot nicer here. Please someone else come froward!!!!

Old 01-12-2008, 10:35 AM

278 posts, read 910,500 times
I grew up in Florida, my mom was a teacher, and my kids have always attended school here. I don't think the problems some of the schools have, such as over-crowding or violence, is specific only to Florida. Many cities simply need more high schools....such as Jacksonville, FL. I ended up moving to enroll my youngest son in a more rural high school that had less problems associated to it.

Other than that, I feel much like you. People diss Florida schools and it just isn't a fair. We have great schools with wonderful curriculum and faculty.

Old 01-12-2008, 10:39 AM

991 posts, read 4,618,901 times
Thanks for something positive I was starting to think I was losin it!

Old 01-12-2008, 10:52 AM

847 posts, read 3,520,828 times
I live and work in education in Collier County, one of the wealthies counties in the state, from what I hear. I grew up and went to school and worked in Fairfax County, Virginia. Again, one of the wealthiest counties in the country and one of the best school districts in the country. This is my comparison. I have seen what can be when a state, county, etc. take on the responsibility to make the schools good.
I am horrified on a day to day basis at work at what the state of education is here. I constantly hear my colleagues laughing at what a joke the school district is and what a poor state of education is present, overall in Florida. One easy fact to look at is that money spent per student. It is very low compared to other states and less money means less opportunities. The teachers are very poorly paid in Florida, I took a $12,000 pay cut and met a lady the other day who came from PA and took a $20,000 paycut. Poorly paid teachers are often unhappy teachers and, well, you do the math.

Did you know that in Florida, all that is required to become certified in a certain area to teach is to take a test? For example, I am a guidance counselor, certified and licensed in guidance and counseling ONLY. I have never take a teaching course in my life. But, if I take a test in say, middle school science, and pass, BOOM I now have an endorsement in science and can teach it! Can you believe that? I have actually been told by higher powers to look into alternative endorsement as it might help with job security. I mean, these are only examples, but the things that are happening in the schools here are a joke.
Again, of course there are good schools in Florida and people can have good experiences at bad schools but overall, having been where I have been, I know there is better out there.

Old 01-12-2008, 10:55 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,491,224 times
I agree with ara bess, I went to school in florida my entire life, I had great experiences, as did my sister and both my brothers. There are bad schools everywhere you go, mostly the people who are unhappy where they are living in Fla and have nothing positive to say anyways seem to be the ones saying nothing positive about the school systems either. You have schools that are graded an A - and F.... Parents must be involved with their childs schooling to help their child get the best opportunity they can out of their schooling. I'm tired of people blaming EVERYTHING on horrible schooling in Florida. Be a parent and parent your children. Anyone can send a kid to school and when their child does bad say on the schools suck. It takes an actual parent to look over what is going on and make the right choices.

Everyones always comparing their old town schools to Florida schools. The fact of the matter is you don't live in NY or Cali or Ga anymore.. You live in Fla.. THAT is what Fl has to offer, and if its not enough I suggest private schooling, homeschooling or moving. There are other options than complaining constantly about what you had and what Fl doesn' have to offer you.

Old 01-12-2008, 11:03 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,491,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novanative75 View Post
I live and work in education in Collier County, one of the wealthies counties in the state, from what I hear. I grew up and went to school and worked in Fairfax County, Virginia. Again, one of the wealthiest counties in the country and one of the best school districts in the country. This is my comparison. I have seen what can be when a state, county, etc. take on the responsibility to make the schools good.
I am horrified on a day to day basis at work at what the state of education is here. I constantly hear my colleagues laughing at what a joke the school district is and what a poor state of education is present, overall in Florida. One easy fact to look at is that money spent per student. It is very low compared to other states and less money means less opportunities. The teachers are very poorly paid in Florida, I took a $12,000 pay cut and met a lady the other day who came from PA and took a $20,000 paycut. Poorly paid teachers are often unhappy teachers and, well, you do the math.

Did you know that in Florida, all that is required to become certified in a certain area to teach is to take a test? For example, I am a guidance counselor, certified and licensed in guidance and counseling ONLY. I have never take a teaching course in my life. But, if I take a test in say, middle school science, and pass, BOOM I now have an endorsement in science and can teach it! Can you believe that? I have actually been told by higher powers to look into alternative endorsement as it might help with job security. I mean, these are only examples, but the things that are happening in the schools here are a joke.
Again, of course there are good schools in Florida and people can have good experiences at bad schools but overall, having been where I have been, I know there is better out there.

Paycuts are everywhere not just teachers, my husband took a $20,000 a year paycut moving from Collier county to up here in NH.. that doesn't make him a bad cop. Collier (Naples) has so much money the county doesn't know what to do with it all. Barron Collier highschool has outragous amounts of money! They have designer benches in the hallways, astro turf on the football field that costs millions of dollars, murals on the walls inside the school specifying each wing, they recently had all new tiles up on the floors, security cameras, 2 gyms, like 20 lunch lines offering vegetarian, mexican, subway, Barnes coffee, pizza, cambells soups. They send the kids yearly to countrys around the world for band and orchestra, they have so many clubs it would make your head spin.. The kids are so spoiled they're gonna be dissapointed when they get to college.

Its not as bad as you make it out to be.

As I said above
Everyones always comparing their old town schools to Florida schools. The fact of the matter is you don't live in NY or Cali or Ga anymore.. You live in Fla.. THAT is what Fl has to offer, and if its not enough I suggest private schooling, homeschooling or moving. There are other options than complaining constantly about what you had and what Fl doesn' have to offer you.

Old 01-12-2008, 11:39 AM

195 posts, read 1,168,454 times
Default Degreed teachers are gods???

Just because a teacher has a degree from (insert uppity university name here) doesn't make them a teacher. There are plenty of degreed teachers out there that really SHOULD NOT teach. Likewise I have known many teachers they were not degreed (but in school for it) that were amazing. No, the difference wasn't that they were paid more, or that the schools had more supplies or what have you, they simply loved to teach. While I believe they need to be trained to teach and not just take a test and be certified, I also think that this country puts waaaay too much emphasis on a degree. A degree is a piece of paper stating that you went to school for x amount of hours and studied x amount of subjects. It doesn't mean you're ready to teach kids or even be able to connect with them so they can learn through you. Teaching isn't an easy 'cushy' career. Nor can you (or should you) expect to get 'rich' at it. Maybe if more teachers went into the career of teaching to ACTUALLY teach our children instead of finding a career that gives you summers off and is great when you have kids, we'd have teachers that were happier with their chosen career and less likely to whine which would make better experiences for kids in their classroom.

Some teacher's are always whining about not getting paid enough. HELLO? Since when has teaching been listed as the top ten jobs to make you rich? Teacher's put up with a lot of cr*p (ummm, it goes with the job??). They give a lot, take alot and most times don't really get rewarded or recognized for it...almost like...a parent...gee...
Becoming a teacher and complaining about salary (especially in place where you KNOW they pay less) is as silly as becoming a priest and complaining about not having Sunday's off.

I'm willing to wager there are plenty of people that grew up in the Florida school system and people raising kids now in it that are very happy.

My advice? Don't ask a teacher what she thinks about the school system there. Ask a parent how they feel it is for their child. That's your best judgement.

And before you ask, I AM a teacher.

You want to know the quality of my teaching? Ask my students and parents.
Don't look at my 'degree'.

Old 01-12-2008, 11:42 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,909,323 times
I went to school in the "crappy part" of the state and I came out fine, didn't see any insane violence, didn't even do drugs.

Old 01-12-2008, 11:51 AM

1,999 posts, read 1,663,930 times
Parents involvement in your childs schooling is vital. No matter what school your child is in, you have to be involved.
DW in head room mother, volunteers all the time and sees first hand the kids who are not doing well are from those families that the parents are not involved. She can also see those same kids struggle socially with the other kids.
Kids, parents and teacher all have to work to make click, take one out of the equation and the kid suffers.
One if not the most important issue for us to move to Florida is the schooling. We are monitoring certain schools to see how they are doing, improving or going downwards. I have also sent letters to a several principles asking them several questions and have received some responses already.

Old 01-12-2008, 01:31 PM

195 posts, read 1,168,454 times
Default Very true!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post
Parents involvement in your childs schooling is vital. No matter what school your child is in, you have to be involved.
DW in head room mother, volunteers all the time and sees first hand the kids who are not doing well are from those families that the parents are not involved. She can also see those same kids struggle socially with the other kids.
Kids, parents and teacher all have to work to make click, take one out of the equation and the kid suffers.
One if not the most important issue for us to move to Florida is the schooling. We are monitoring certain schools to see how they are doing, improving or going downwards. I have also sent letters to a several principles asking them several questions and have received some responses already.
I agree 100%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida