Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you move out of FL if you could?
Yes 74 47.44%
No 82 52.56%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 08:41 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Wasn't there a major one in San Francisco area in 1989 and just last year didn't the Napa Valley have a 6.0, too? It is sort of like the hurricanes....you tend to underplay them unless you happened to be there and have damage caused by them.
I wasborn and raised in CA. A 6.0 earthquake was not a big deal. I was right near the epicenter of a 7.2 and that shook things up a bit to say the least and did a lot of damage, but 6.0 is a wake up call. Can't count the number of 6 and under I experienced as a child on up. No big deal, unless of course you aren't used to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 07:44 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
I could, but I don't want to!

That being said, one of our ten-year-or-so goals is to purchase a condo in New England so we could spend summers up north.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:26 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,620,914 times
Gosh I couldn't wait to move out of Florida!!! Trash, homeless everywhere, crime, a revolving door -no thanks!
So I moved back to Denver-thank you!!!

Oh yeah...Denver...trash, homeless people everywhere, crime, a revolving door and oh the smell of pot everywhere....
I'm admitting it right here....huge mistake. Once I finish school (3 classes) I will probably consider moving back to the Tampa area (Palm Harbor or Denedin). I made more $ in Florida than I do in Denver. Florida may have it's problems but having a crap economy is not one of them

Old 05-08-2015, 03:50 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,657,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
Oh yeah...Denver...trash, homeless people everywhere, crime, a revolving door and oh the smell of pot everywhere....

Denver-Boulder is one of the most highly educated, highest-income, healthiest, safest major metropolitan areas in the entire country.

Also, while Denver may be home to many transplants, they're usually much better educated, higher-income, and better-traveled than transplants in just about city in Florida, especially Tampa. Transplants who fit that profile tend to be less transient and more unsettled than those who are low-income, uneducated and/or unskilled, and want to live near the beach/theme parks (i.e., most transplants who move to Florida).

Also, most people move to the Denver area for educational and/or professional pursuits *and* to take advantage of the many outdoor recreational opportunities easily accessible to residents of the metro area; people don't move to Denver in retirement, to work in the hospitality sector for $10/hour with no benefits, or because they're running from someone or something in their past or previous place of residence, so it's a lot less "revolving-door" than most cities in Florida and certainly Tampa.

That's not to mention that most Colorado natives are deeply "dyed-in-the-wool" and are fiercely proud and defensive of their state. Most wouldn't live elsewhere, especially in a flat, buggy, humid, swampy place like Florida, rent-free with paid utilities.

Florida, OTOH, is home to more apathetic natives who are often prouder to be the children of transplants from elsewhere than to be from Florida. I just highlighted an example of this on C-D with Rabflmom not too long ago. Florida natives don't seem too thrilled to be living in Florida, either, and most would probably move out, if given the opportunity. I feel like I met more native Floridians in Colorado than I ever did in the 12 years I actually lived in Florida.

Furthermore, most transplants in Florida are there because they want to live near the beach with warm weather and sunshine for [relatively] cheap or because they just want a bigger/newer/cheaper home, not because they *love* Florida or even particularly care for it. Most transplants in Florida, especially those from the Northeast, complain ad nauseum about the state and all purportedly doesn't offer. Please.

I don't understand the homeless comment, either, especially since Tampa has a much larger homeless population than Denver due to it's much less harsh climate. However, unless you live and work in an urban area or are homeless yourself, the latter of which I highly doubt if you're a frequent poster on City-Data.com, then it's truly a non-issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
Florida may have it's problems but having a crap economy is not one of them
However, this is where you really lose all credibility.

Florida has, perhaps, one of the worst economies of any state in the entire country. For such a populous state, Florida has a comparatively low GDP, mostly due to it's service-oriented economy with a strong hospitality and tourism orientation and a very limited corporate presence.

As the economic center or "hub city" of the Intermountain West region, Denver serves as the regional headquarters of many national and even multinational corporations, so there are far more regional offices and a much larger corporate presence in general in Denver than Tampa. In the Southeast US, Atlanta serves this function, not Tampa.

I'll also mention that Denver is a very highly educated city and tends to attract top talent from Colorado, the Intermountain West region, and even the entire US to work in the tech, oil & gas, higher education and, to a lesser extent, finance--all industries that are represented by a highly educated, talented workforce. Not to mention the local talent coming out of UC-Boulder or UC-Denver is, far and away, better educated and more talented than any graduate coming out of a ghetto, glorified community college like USF.

In contrast, Florida mostly offers low-wage service-sector jobs that pay anywhere in the range of $9-$15/hour. Low-to-mid-skill and associate-level jobs are probably the most adversely affected types of jobs by the disproportionate salaries in Florida. If you have a bachelor's degree and don't work in healthcare, be prepared to work in financial services, insurance or real estate (FIRE) for average compensation of $35k/year.

The Florida RTW laws fosters low participation in laborers' unions. With limited union representation, the collective bargaining that fosters competitive salaries and wages is largely absent from the Florida economy. This means that largely unionized employees such as teachers, nurses, medical assistants, et al. are often less competitively compensated in Florida than in many other states, especially in the North and West.

The lack of collective bargaining also affects non-wage benefits as well, which are often more limited and less comprehensive in Florida than elsewhere. Prior to the Employer Mandate of the ACA, many employers in Florida offered their employees no health insurance. When I first moved to Florida from Rhode Island in the mid-90's, I was shocked to learn that many office workers in Florida had no health benefits. Even more shocking, many health care workers such as CNA's and home health aides, who expose themselves to disease and illness every single day, had no health insurance.

I estimate that at least 1/4 of the US population has seriously considered moving Florida at some point or another as well as many people from all over the [third] world because of the warm weather and the generally low COL. Coupled with the burgeoning population of around 20 million residents and general lack of abundant [quality] employment in many sectors such as tech, finance, manufacturing, trade and oil & gas to name a handful, competition for employment in Florida in all sectors and at all levels of the food chain is very fierce. Therefore, the economy of Florida is, in essence, a monopsony, where employers can "have their pick of the litter."

Question for you: Why are you moving back to Florida specifically? I've never met someone who lived in Florida, moved away and then moved back, unless they grew up there. Honestly, it would be more worth your while to move to another Southeastern state like Georgia or North Carolina that offer economies with more breadth and depth and salaries and wages that are more proportionate to COL.

Old 05-08-2015, 04:04 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Question for you: Why are you moving back to Florida specifically? I've never met someone who lived in Florida, moved away and then moved back, unless they grew up there. Honestly, it would be more worth your while to move to another Southeastern state like Georgia or North Carolina that offer economies with more breadth and depth and salaries and wages that are more proportionate to COL.
You really don't like Florida, huh? I'm not sure I've seen you say a positive thing about the state.

Old 05-08-2015, 04:32 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
20 million people in FL, more coming.

Anyone who compares an entire state to one city or metro area is missing a few slices from their loaf.

Perhaps a little dose of reality will help. Florida - May 2014 OES State Occupational Employment and Wage Estimates

Very few occupations pay less than $35k a year. The unemployment rate in FL was 5.5% in March 2015.

People dont leave places where they are doing well to relocate anywhere, People relocate for a better lifestyle and opportunity. That is why FL continues to grow.

Those who couldnt make it in FL are those who would not make it anywhere.

Old 05-08-2015, 04:33 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
You really don't like Florida, huh? I'm not sure I've seen you say a positive thing about the state.
He knows all there is to know about FL but none of it is factual.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:14 PM

242 posts, read 346,345 times
Quote:
Denver-Boulder is one of the most highly educated, highest-income, healthiest, safest major metropolitan areas in the entire country.

Also, while Denver may be home to many transplants, they're usually much better educated, higher-income, and better-traveled than transplants in just about city in Florida, especially Tampa. Transplants who fit that profile tend to be less transient and more unsettled than those who are low-income, uneducated and/or unskilled, and want to live near the beach/theme parks (i.e., most transplants who move to Florida).

Also, most people move to the Denver area for educational and/or professional pursuits *and* to take advantage of the many outdoor recreational opportunities easily accessible to residents of the metro area; people don't move to Denver in retirement, to work in the hospitality sector for $10/hour with no benefits, or because they're running from someone or something in their past or previous place of residence, so it's a lot less "revolving-door" than most cities in Florida and certainly Tampa.

That's not to mention that most Colorado natives are deeply "dyed-in-the-wool" and are fiercely proud and defensive of their state. Most wouldn't live elsewhere, especially in a flat, buggy, humid, swampy place like Florida, rent-free with paid utilities.

Florida, OTOH, is home to more apathetic natives who are often prouder to be the children of transplants from elsewhere than to be from Florida. I just highlighted an example of this on C-D with Rabflmom not too long ago. Florida natives don't seem too thrilled to be living in Florida, either, and most would probably move out, if given the opportunity. I feel like I met more native Floridians in Colorado than I ever did in the 12 years I actually lived in Florida.

Furthermore, most transplants in Florida are there because they want to live near the beach with warm weather and sunshine for [relatively] cheap or because they just want a bigger/newer/cheaper home, not because they *love* Florida or even particularly care for it. Most transplants in Florida, especially those from the Northeast, complain ad nauseum about the state and all purportedly doesn't offer. Please.

I don't understand the homeless comment, either, especially since Tampa has a much larger homeless population than Denver due to it's much less harsh climate. However, unless you live and work in an urban area or are homeless yourself, the latter of which I highly doubt if you're a frequent poster on City-Data.com, then it's truly a non-issue.

Florida has, perhaps, one of the worst economies of any state in the entire country. For such a populous state, Florida has a comparatively low GDP, mostly due to it's service-oriented economy with a strong hospitality and tourism orientation and a very limited corporate presence.

As the economic center or "hub city" of the Intermountain West region, Denver serves as the regional headquarters of many national and even multinational corporations, so there are far more regional offices and a much larger corporate presence in general in Denver than Tampa. In the Southeast US, Atlanta serves this function, not Tampa.

I'll also mention that Denver is a very highly educated city and tends to attract top talent from Colorado, the Intermountain West region, and even the entire US to work in the tech, oil & gas, higher education and, to a lesser extent, finance--all industries that are represented by a highly educated, talented workforce. Not to mention the local talent coming out of UC-Boulder or UC-Denver is, far and away, better educated and more talented than any graduate coming out of a ghetto, glorified community college like USF.

In contrast, Florida mostly offers low-wage service-sector jobs that pay anywhere in the range of $9-$15/hour. Low-to-mid-skill and associate-level jobs are probably the most adversely affected types of jobs by the disproportionate salaries in Florida. If you have a bachelor's degree and don't work in healthcare, be prepared to work in financial services, insurance or real estate (FIRE) for average compensation of $35k/year.

The Florida RTW laws fosters low participation in laborers' unions. With limited union representation, the collective bargaining that fosters competitive salaries and wages is largely absent from the Florida economy. This means that largely unionized employees such as teachers, nurses, medical assistants, et al. are often less competitively compensated in Florida than in many other states, especially in the North and West.

The lack of collective bargaining also affects non-wage benefits as well, which are often more limited and less comprehensive in Florida than elsewhere. Prior to the Employer Mandate of the ACA, many employers in Florida offered their employees no health insurance. When I first moved to Florida from Rhode Island in the mid-90's, I was shocked to learn that many office workers in Florida had no health benefits. Even more shocking, many health care workers such as CNA's and home health aides, who expose themselves to disease and illness every single day, had no health insurance.

I estimate that at least 1/4 of the US population has seriously considered moving Florida at some point or another as well as many people from all over the [third] world because of the warm weather and the generally low COL. Coupled with the burgeoning population of around 20 million residents and general lack of abundant [quality] employment in many sectors such as tech, finance, manufacturing, trade and oil & gas to name a handful, competition for employment in Florida in all sectors and at all levels of the food chain is very fierce. Therefore, the economy of Florida is, in essence, a monopsony, where employers can "have their pick of the litter."

As a nativo for 54 years all of this is sadly true!

Old 05-09-2015, 07:49 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,620,914 times
Quote:

I lose all credibility??? Oh well you must be from the Denver chamber of commerce?? Wow sorry....I'm just here making 40% LESS than I was making in Florida (Tampa)-

Guess what since Denver is a mecca of educated people....Denver's wages are not keeping up!!! And the COL is ridiculus-the average home price is 402k.
I am about to graduate with a second bachelor degree in accounting (I'm in my last 2 classes)-I have HR expereince and accounting experience (which I received in Florida) and I have been searching for a job for almost 2 years! I make less than 40k and I also have terrible benefits. I have networked, gone to job fairs and met with recruiters (which I'm told Denver has the second highest population of accounting employees) and I was told...with a laugh...ha that line forms to the left.
I have been recruited for accounting positions where??? Oh Tampa...paying 15k MORE than here....

I left Florida because of a relationship ending and I own a home here (which is a saving grace since the average rent here is almost 1400 a month).

So since you know so much about Denver please tell me how to obtain a better paying position...and yes I am looking at other states as well because being in my prime earning years $19.84 an hour isn't cutting it.

Old 05-10-2015, 06:05 AM

1,976 posts, read 2,353,168 times
Quote:

Well-put. Florida is politically devoted to poverty and corporate welfare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida