Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 04:39 AM

3,417 posts, read 7,785,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLFCPA View Post
So let me get this straight. My new property taxes will be 2% of my purchase price? Is it the same for new construction? If I buy in a mature area, I could end up paying 3 or 4 times the property taxes as my neighbor?
Yes.

First there is the 25K homestaed exemption which shaves 25K off the taxable value. You have to be a full time resident to get that.

Second there is the Save Our Homes cap which limits tax increases to 3% no matter what the value of your house.

If I sold my house for the assesed value of 600K then the buyer would pay taxes on 600K-not the 284K that I pay because of these exemptions.

There is a vote coming up this month to radically change this system so if it passes the numbers will be different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 06:09 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,258,336 times
As far as the school system goes, when we lived in Kentucky we had occasion to have dinner with the parents of a major executive in a well known corporation. The wife mentioned that they moved from Florida to Kentucky because the schools were so bad in Florida, they wanted to get their boys in better schools. I was taken aback thinking that Florida would have better schools than Kentucky. But no, apparently it didn't. I have frankly never seen more illiterates and poorly spoken people come out of school than I do in Florida.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:21 AM

43 posts, read 162,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
Yes.

First there is the 25K homestaed exemption which shaves 25K off the taxable value. You have to be a full time resident to get that.

Second there is the Save Our Homes cap which limits tax increases to 3% no matter what the value of your house.

If I sold my house for the assesed value of 600K then the buyer would pay taxes on 600K-not the 284K that I pay because of these exemptions.

There is a vote coming up this month to radically change this system so if it passes the numbers will be different.
The Homestead exemption doesn't seem to do a whole lot - maybe it saves you $500, I guess - and the Save Our Homes thing only helps out going forward. Does the proposed changes being voted on make it more or less beneficial to someone purchasing?

Old 01-15-2008, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
As far as the school system goes, when we lived in Kentucky we had occasion to have dinner with the parents of a major executive in a well known corporation. The wife mentioned that they moved from Florida to Kentucky because the schools were so bad in Florida, they wanted to get their boys in better schools. I was taken aback thinking that Florida would have better schools than Kentucky. But no, apparently it didn't. I have frankly never seen more illiterates and poorly spoken people come out of school than I do in Florida.
That's about as strong a negative statement as I've seen about the Florida schools. But it is very general. There have to be exceptions to the rule, don't there? I mean, some of these school systems must be turning out a decent product. It's just a matter of finding out which ones are the better or best of the lot, no?

Old 01-15-2008, 10:10 AM

1,006 posts, read 2,660,003 times
If this helps, I moved to FL in 2003 and moved back in 2006. Vacationing for 2 weeks and living there are two different things. Everyone says that. But I didn't have my own business and worked for other people. I was also hit by a major hurricane and was without power for two weeks. The only thing I miss is the warm ocean water. Everything else--professional opportunities and even weather--is better here, IMO.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:16 PM

156 posts, read 710,896 times
We live in St Augustine, moved from Long Island and we love it! The weather up here is significantly less humid and warm than in South florida, we have not had an electric bill higher than $130 for three months now! The schools are wonderful, they just built a brand new middle school with the latest amenities and activities for the kids. Nease High School was ranked in the top 100 of the entire usa by Money Magazine in 2007, so that tells you something. I would not move back to NY for anything, the pace of life here, pleasant weather, and overall lifestyle is so much more wonderful for my kids. they play outside every day, even when it's hot, it's easier to get away from the heat with a pool or the beach, as opposed to getting stuck inside for five months, I know exactly how you feel.
If you come with the right attitude, you will not be sorry. Many things are different here, but nothing you cannot deal with if you have a good attitude. Feel free to pm me for more info. Good luck!

Old 01-15-2008, 07:02 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
First off - thanks for your very relevant reply. Secondly...$9000!!!??? That approaches Westchester levels. I didn't see one property listed online that quoted anywhere near that amount of property taxes. How could it be that high?

Also, just curious, but how much is the private schooling costing you?
The property listings list the current owner's taxes. Your taxes will be based on the value of the home when you purchase it and will NOT be the same as the current property owner's taxes.

Taxes around here (SW Broward) cost around 1.75% (mill rates vary by city) of the assessed value of the home. The assessed value of the home is usually pretty close to the market value. Our property taxes in Broward were only slightly less than our taxes in Westchester when we moved here. Briarcliff is in Ossining and I recall that the taxes in Ossining were higher than those in Cortlandt so you may see a bigger difference in property taxes if you move. There is no state income tax here in FL, so there would be a savings there.

Our kids to to a non religious private school and it costs around $15K a year. Religious private schools are less costly.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:05 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
So let me get this straight. My new property taxes will be 2% of my purchase price? Is it the same for new construction? If I buy in a mature area, I could end up paying 3 or 4 times the property taxes as my neighbor?
Absolutely. We bought our house in 2000 for $387K. A house in my neighborhood recently sold for $775K. My taxes are currently around $7K a year. My new neighbor pays around $14K a year.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Our kids to to a non religious private school and it costs around $15K a year. Religious private schools are less costly.
I assume thats for the 2 kids. It's not that bad. At least it's nice to know we have that as an option, if it turns out we're really disappointed with the public schools. Plus, everyone seems to thing the colleges are great and they're pretty cheap for residents...........

I'm pretty bummed about the property tax thing. I was thinking $3k-$4k...way cool!! $9k, however, is quite sobering.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:22 PM

61 posts, read 267,801 times
When you think of the taxes as they plug into the COL remember there is NO income tax and there is NO tax on cars and boats and that is a big savings. Also we run a lot of AC here but most places are pretty efficient with the AC and we don't heat much. Heating can be much more costly. So when you add it up...maybe it isn't so much different in FL. Different areas of FL offer very different lifestyles and you just have to know where to go to get what you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida