Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best city in Florida for relocation?
Fort Lauderdale 2 4.65%
Fort Myers/Cape Coral 1 2.33%
Jacksonville 13 30.23%
Miami 3 6.98%
Naples 0 0%
Orlando 6 13.95%
Port St. Lucie 0 0%
Sarasota 0 0%
Tallahassee 2 4.65%
Tampa Bay 13 30.23%
West Palm Beach 3 6.98%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 08:33 AM

469 posts, read 576,732 times

Advertisements

Somebody picked West Palm Beach as the best city in Florida in a poll that focuses on cost of living. Wow, just wow. I'm at a loss here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 08:46 AM

855 posts, read 1,172,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvtraveler View Post
Somebody picked West Palm Beach as the best city in Florida in a poll that focuses on cost of living. Wow, just wow. I'm at a loss here.
I guess it depends on where you're from. If you're from NYC or DC, WPB has a much better COL if your position is in IT or mid-level corporate.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:52 AM

27,202 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chariega View Post
I guess it depends on where you're from. If you're from NYC or DC, WPB has a much better COL if your position is in IT or mid-level corporate.
As well as potential salary. Lost on many is that a large percentage of those living in "high cost" areas live a fairly high standard of living as well due to higher salaries. Moving someplace that's less expensive does not automatically equate to a higher standard of living.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:01 AM

469 posts, read 576,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
As well as potential salary. Lost on many is that a large percentage of those living in "high cost" areas live a fairly high standard of living as well due to higher salaries. Moving someplace that's less expensive does not automatically equate to a higher standard of living.
In the case of WPB though, the salaries really aren't any better than they are in say, Jacksonville, but the COL is way higher. Forbes did an article ranking the 100 most overpriced cities in the US and the formula they used involved housing affordability, cost of living index in general, as well as median salary; West Palm ranked 6 overall.

Introduction To The Most Overpriced Cities - In Photos: America's Most Overpriced Cities - Forbes

I understand what you're saying about the higher salaries in the more expensive areas, I've heard that was the case in a lot of West Coast cities as well as some place in the Northeast, I just don't think it applies to WPB.

Old 04-14-2015, 06:14 AM

27,202 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvtraveler View Post
In the case of WPB though, the salaries really aren't any better than they are in say, Jacksonville, but the COL is way higher. Forbes did an article ranking the 100 most overpriced cities in the US and the formula they used involved housing affordability, cost of living index in general, as well as median salary; West Palm ranked 6 overall.

Introduction To The Most Overpriced Cities - In Photos: America's Most Overpriced Cities - Forbes

I understand what you're saying about the higher salaries in the more expensive areas, I've heard that was the case in a lot of West Coast cities as well as some place in the Northeast, I just don't think it applies to WPB.
I would guess that ranking is a bit skewed by statistics that incorporate areas like Palm Beach where those 1% demographics would make the results a bit higher than what the overall reality dictates. West Palm Beach proper, Palm Beach Gardens, Boca Raton, Boynton Beach and Delray Beach are not "expensive" and it certainly isn't in terms of the number one expenditure of housing, with plenty of inventory (over 700 in the link attached) in the very approachable 200K-300K price bracket for a 3/2 single family home. That compares very favorably with cities in FL where salaries are even lower and have similar priced housing (Orlando and Tampa for example).

West Palm Beach 3 bedrooms 2 bathrooms Single-Family Homes For Sale | Trulia.com

Old 04-14-2015, 06:21 AM

33 posts, read 50,587 times
Orlando

Old 04-14-2015, 10:48 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,448,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
I think this kind of question is really misleading - the answer is dependent on WHAT you do for a living, and on what kind of lifestyle you have. Not all job markets are the same, and not everything costs the same.
THIS!
It depends on what you do for a living.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:02 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
Very generally I'd say Jacksonville or Tampa.
But really very much depends on your industry and role.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:52 PM

242 posts, read 346,265 times
Honestly the local Floridianos like me are fed up with migrants moving to our beloved state and causing problems, havoc and a general apathetic attitude, even bums and homeless! Our job market is terrible frankly and if I were a young person today I would be out western U.S. like SF area or Seattle. Florida is all filled up. We have no jobs hardly and the jobs pay peanuts. Don't come here unless you have a job ALREADY lined up netting six figures annually.

Good luck

Old 04-17-2015, 04:10 PM

779 posts, read 927,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebn78 View Post
Honestly the local Floridianos like me are fed up with migrants moving to our beloved state and causing problems, havoc and a general apathetic attitude, even bums and homeless! Our job market is terrible frankly and if I were a young person today I would be out western U.S. like SF area or Seattle. Florida is all filled up. We have no jobs hardly and the jobs pay peanuts. Don't come here unless you have a job ALREADY lined up netting six figures annually.

Good luck
Why not embrace the expats? Are simply trying to talk me out of moving to Florida by saying that the jobs pay peanuts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida