Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 07:16 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,517,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Yes, I'm sure you "get everything". Florida's loss is Georgia's gain...

Oranges and Grapefruits are cheaper "up north" because they're purchased in large quantity by grocery chains and distribution houses. What's left, comparatively speaking is much less in quantity and subsequently higher in price. In terms of comparing grocery chains in the Northeast versus South Florida you don't seem to get the transportation logistics of what happens to food after it's produced, which adds a hefty premium to the original cost. Did it ever occur to you why uber-popular national grocery retailers like Whole Foods and Trader Joe's were slow/reluctant to enter the Florida market, which is counter-intuitive given we're the fourth most-populated state? Transportation costs and supply-line logistics is why given their heightened cost. It's also why Whole Foods has very little "locally grown" produce in their stores here in Florida. First off there isn't a whole lot relative to population and the bid process is daunting with other large chains like Publix, Wegman's, Kroger, Safeway, WalMart, Target and others bidding on what's available. Hence the large quantities of produce seen here from places like California, Mexico, South America and even Canada....which are far away geographically, and from a distribution standpoint.
This where I get off the bus.

I'm not going to debate someone who thinks everything "is as it should be" in the Sunshine State. More power to you. Thank God this country has 50 states to choose from.

And yes, it's Florida's loss and Georgia's gain - you bet. FYI, Atlanta is Number One in job growth among large metro areas at the moment.

Georgia rocks while Florida drops...lol. (just gotta get one more jab in...lol.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 07:25 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
This where I get off the bus.

I'm not going to debate someone who thinks everything "is as it should be" in the Sunshine State. More power to you. Thank God this country has 50 states to choose from.

And yes, it's Florida's loss and Georgia's gain - you bet. FYI, Atlanta is Number One in job growth among large metro areas at the moment.

Georgia rocks while Florida drops...lol. (just gotta get one more jab in...lol.)
^^^ Whatever...bye! But before you go...

Here's one more example of your failure of an argument...Fort Lauderdale residents (for example) on average pay over $1000 less than the national average for annual grocery expenditures.

Calculator: How Does Your Food Spending Stack Up? | Mother Jones

Old 04-19-2015, 07:27 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,688,785 times
When we visited Sarasota area last year I noticed most items were priced pretty much the same as what were used to. Maybe some things that were regular price was tad higher but sale prices were spot on with sale prices back home. I didnt notice a difference overall.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:55 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemodeled View Post
When we visited Sarasota area last year I noticed most items were priced pretty much the same as what were used to. Maybe some things that were regular price was tad higher but sale prices were spot on with sale prices back home. I didnt notice a difference overall.
I live in Sarasota and we have tons of places to shop, at all price points. I am really spoiled with the choices I have. For produce we have a beautiful huge new Amish-owned farmer grocery, with lots of local and organic produce, and all very reasonably priced. I have been to other states and found most food prices similar, and in some cases even more expensive, but nothing that outrageously different.

Old 04-19-2015, 09:00 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Florida has very little home-grown agriculture like other states which means it has to be transported long distances, which adds considerably to the cost of the original item.
What are you talking about? Florida is one of the top ten states in agriculture. The top ten states account for about half of all agriculture in the US.

Old 04-19-2015, 01:37 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,964,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
I'm in Broward, southeast Florida and grocery prices are high here.

and have they just gone up everywhere?

even Walmart has high prices on meats, fish, beef and pork, and it's often cheaper to buy them at local supermarkets that run sales.
It's been all over the news, beef prices are going up.

I don't see any differences between the prices I see in Tampa, Orlando, Jax or Miami. Even when I went to Georgia I didn't see any difference. What I see sometimes is that ethnic supermarkets tend to have cheaper produce but their frozen food is more expensive.

Some products for example are more expensive and never on special in some supermarket chains. Supermarkets like Winn Dixie and Publix tend to have always the same brands on sale. For example I love Klondike bars and they are never on special at Winn Dixie while in Publix you see them buy one get one free very often. I also like pre-packaged salads and I have a hard time finding a good special in Publix while at Winn Dixie I find a larger selection and B1G1 specials very often. Sedanos and Presidente are good for produce but it's not convenient for me to shop there(too far) Walmart has very good specials on certain brands but it's too far from me. Walmart has good prices on dried cat food because Winn Dixie and Publix prices are ridiculous. I buy wet cat food at Amazon. In other words you just have to know where to buy some products.

The only thing that I noticed is cheaper are gas prices in Tampa(the cheapest) and I believe some areas of Ft Myers. Naples and Sarasota tend to have higher gas prices than Miami.

Old 04-19-2015, 01:48 PM

8,005 posts, read 7,209,687 times
Quote:
Actually Florida ranks 2nd in the "value of vegetable production", which is related to the premium paid for winter fruits and vegetables. That's completely different from quantity produced.
Not here to argue with you. I was responding to your claim that "Florida has very little home grown agriculture". That is simply not true. Care to document your "premium paid" claim? If quantity is what matters to you what states other than Cali produce higher quantities of vegetables?

Old 04-19-2015, 02:51 PM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
[quote=1insider;39283851]Not here to argue with you. I was responding to your claim that "Florida has very little home grown agriculture". That is simply not true. Care to document your "premium paid" claim? If quantity is what matters to you what states other than Cali produce higher quantities of vegetables?[/QUOTE

#17 includes our massive share of citrus production. Minus that out and see where we stand.

States That Produce The Most Food (Ranking 1 to 50)

Old 04-19-2015, 02:58 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,271,182 times
Hold it..... and then you moved to Atlanta??????? Really??????
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
. The attitude espoused by the poster above is one of the primary reasons why I was so happy to get out of Florida back in 2005 - there are just too many people down there that just don't get it.

Old 04-19-2015, 03:01 PM

8,005 posts, read 7,209,687 times
Kyle, Your link, ironically, is to ranking in dollars of agricultural receipts, the very measure you objected to in my post. Florida's "very little home grown agriculture" industry still ranks 1st in several different vegetable and fruit categories. We fall far behind several others when wheat is factored in, however, wheat prices at Publix was not what we were discussing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida