U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-16-2008, 09:44 PM
 
200 posts, read 851,147 times
Reputation: 75

Advertisements

I just had to post after a conversation I had tonight with my neighbors (who both are employed by EMS). They asked me tonight if we were voting for the super homestead. They told me to think twice before we vote yes because emergency services will be slashed in half because they will loose alot of their funding. They told me that if we vote yes there may not be an ambulance available for us if we were having a heart attack and it would be OUR fault. This made me start thinking. We pay almost 4x what all our neighbors pay for taxes. We have the smallest home in our neighborhood on the same exact amount of land, but we pay 4x the taxes because we bought in 2006. How is that fair? I think it would better if the county adjusted OUR taxes to an average of what our neighbors pay. Heck, if I paid what they paid in taxes I could also care less about having my exemption doubled!! Doesn't this make more sense than doubling everyone's homestead exemption??? Base property taxes on a neighborhood average rather the price paid on the home.

That dang ambulance better answer my 911 call before my neighbor's if I'm paying 4x the amount of taxes to fund it, right?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-16-2008, 10:01 PM
 
Location: Heartland Florida
9,324 posts, read 25,637,706 times
Reputation: 5024
I challenge these liars to answer how we got by before 2000. In fact I say that the more money we give the Government the more inefficient they become. There's plenty of revenue available from sales and gas taxes alone. In the 1950's Florida did just fine and nobody complained about high property taxes. I think the only way to end this unfairness will involve mass hysteria. Let's vote "yes" on the peoposal so portability can help us get "save our homes" overturned. Then Floridians will band together to fix the problem.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2008, 10:09 PM
 
200 posts, read 851,147 times
Reputation: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I challenge these liars to answer how we got by before 2000. In fact I say that the more money we give the Government the more inefficient they become. There's plenty of revenue available from sales and gas taxes alone. In the 1950's Florida did just fine and nobody complained about high property taxes. I think the only way to end this unfairness will involve mass hysteria. Let's vote "yes" on the peoposal so portability can help us get "save our homes" overturned. Then Floridians will band together to fix the problem.
Yes, that is exactly what I have been thinking also. How in the world did all these services survive before the big real estate boom? You hit the nail on the head! I just became so irritated after the conversation. I understand how they feel, but I know they would be super unhappy if they had to pay our taxes and they would jump on any cut they could get.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2008, 11:17 PM
 
2,313 posts, read 2,856,820 times
Reputation: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthFloridaNative View Post
I just had to post after a conversation I had tonight with my neighbors (who both are employed by EMS). They asked me tonight if we were voting for the super homestead. They told me to think twice before we vote yes because emergency services will be slashed in half because they will loose alot of their funding. They told me that if we vote yes there may not be an ambulance available for us if we were having a heart attack and it would be OUR fault. This made me start thinking. We pay almost 4x what all our neighbors pay for taxes. We have the smallest home in our neighborhood on the same exact amount of land, but we pay 4x the taxes because we bought in 2006. How is that fair? I think it would better if the county adjusted OUR taxes to an average of what our neighbors pay. Heck, if I paid what they paid in taxes I could also care less about having my exemption doubled!! Doesn't this make more sense than doubling everyone's homestead exemption??? Base property taxes on a neighborhood average rather the price paid on the home.

That dang ambulance better answer my 911 call before my neighbor's if I'm paying 4x the amount of taxes to fund it, right?
Seeing that the super exemption is not on the ballot, I would not worry about it. Aside from that what they are saying is just an out and out lie.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2008, 02:18 AM
 
Location: western East Roman Empire
9,001 posts, read 13,082,821 times
Reputation: 9479
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
Seeing that the super exemption is not on the ballot, I would not worry about it. Aside from that what they are saying is just an out and out lie.
That's right, the so-called superexemption was thrown out months ago. What's on the ballot later this month is an increase in the current exemption by around $15,000, in addition to the current $25,000 exemption, really a pittance in either case in some regions of Florida, and portability (unless they've changed the question again in the past few weeks that I'm not aware of), plus a few other proposed amendments.

Furthermore, I agree with tallrick that no matter how much taxpayers give to politicians, they will always find ways to pilfer and waste, it's human nature, it's mathematical.

The real issue should be fiscal restraint on the spending side at both the local government and household level, but the powers that be do not allow even a debate on this issue and the people ... well, the people ...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2008, 03:50 AM
 
12,867 posts, read 14,262,957 times
Reputation: 4453
agree with tallrick here. everyone needs to vote yes to get the ball rolling. this cannot be the end of the property tax problem, but at least we will let them know that we are not happy with the tax situation in this state!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2008, 05:36 AM
 
Location: western East Roman Empire
9,001 posts, read 13,082,821 times
Reputation: 9479
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
agree with tallrick here. everyone needs to vote yes to get the ball rolling. this cannot be the end of the property tax problem, but at least we will let them know that we are not happy with the tax situation in this state!
I really don't think the tax side of fiscal policy is a problem in Florida. Locally the problem is the spending side of fiscal policy, nationally it is monetary and credit policy which played havoc with the housing market in Florida, and so property taxes as a result.

Tinkering with tax policy may only lead to playing around with symptoms, not problems.

Most likely, voting yes or no will solve nothing in particular.

Nevertheless, if voting yes is followed by collective screaming like hell about restraining local goverment spending and possibly also further tax reform, then maybe indeed it is worthwhile to vote yes.

But if there is no reforming on the spending side, then any tinkering with the tax system will be, on balance, fruitless.

But most people will probably vote for what's good for themselves on a short-sighted, short-term view. So we'll how that balance works out.

Good luck!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2008, 05:38 AM
 
2,143 posts, read 7,691,573 times
Reputation: 1155
Vote no on this. This doesn't solve anything, and your taxes will definitely go up. School taxes will now become disconnected from any cap, and school taxes are the biggest portion of your tax bill.

This goofy amendment was cobbled together in 5 days. We all know how much insurance went down after that law was passed and that took a little longer than 5 days. This is bad.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2008, 07:01 AM
 
Location: western East Roman Empire
9,001 posts, read 13,082,821 times
Reputation: 9479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
Vote no on this. This doesn't solve anything, and your taxes will definitely go up. School taxes will now become disconnected from any cap, and school taxes are the biggest portion of your tax bill.

This goofy amendment was cobbled together in 5 days. We all know how much insurance went down after that law was passed and that took a little longer than 5 days. This is bad.
I agree that there are more reasons for voting no than yes, the may one being that it sends a signal that people are not so stupid as to accept a miserable sop on taxes when the real probable is corrupt spending.

Dream scenario: no wins and voters then scream like crazy for spending reform.

Most likely scenario: yes wins, politicians confirm that voters sell themselves for sops, and they go on taxing and spending mainly to line their own pockets.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2008, 07:29 AM
 
2,141 posts, read 6,677,587 times
Reputation: 595
There are mixed messages when it comes to the property tax amendment on this month's primary ballot. The governor says it'll save you money, but local officials say that's not entirely true. Southwest Florida leaders want you to ignore the state and take their side.

Voting on the property tax amendment may prove tougher for some than choosing their next president.

"This Amendment 1 doesn't accomplish a thing in terms of reforming the property tax, which is dreadful," said Lee County Commissioner Bob Janes.


Janes says a $240 savings is peanuts for most homeowners. And that money comes at the expense of roads, housing, and emergency services. He's just not sure that it's worth it.




NBC2 News Online - Property tax amendment getting mixed reviews (http://www.nbc-2.com/articles/readarticle.asp?articleid=16932&z=3&p= - broken link)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top