Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 11:05 PM

3,567 posts, read 3,734,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
What does the term "bully" mean when referring to a pit bull?
Bull. It is a blanket term for any breed of dog with "Bull" in their name:

ex: BULLdog, Staffordshire BULL terrier, American BULL terrier, mini/BULL Terrier, American BULLdog. Alapaha Blue Blood BULLdog, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 10:20 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,445,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
It has been done for almost 20 years. Right or wrong they have very little support beyond a small group of militant dog owners. I doubt you could find one politician who would want to come down on the sides of the dogs and it is understandable. The dog breeders and owners have made their bed and now must sleep in it. Just do a google search for pit bull breeders. You won't find any breeders that tout their dogs as wonderful friendly family pets, great with kids and a pleasure to own.

They instead show images of mean dogs with collars and chains that look more suitable for a lion. They give then names like, Satin, Chopper, Jaws, Mauler and so on. They are the ones who have created this image themselves so what are people supposed to think? Thats just the way it is and like it or not. I would bet anything would pass as long as it has the term "Pit bull" in it.

The dog owners shot themselves in the foot years ago with their attitudes and public perceptions they created and now have to live with it. I just looked at a breeders website a few minutes ago that has a male for stud and touts it as able to produce world class "Bad A$$" pups. Case closed, the public is sick of them.
Those are breeders, who are in business to make money and cater to a particular demand in the market.....

If the market turns and Albino Pomeranians are all the rage, those breeders will change their stock to accommodate the flow of dollars. These people do not represent all pit bulls or all pit bull owners, not by a long shot.

I've never bought a pit bull (or any breed dog) from a breeder, never will. I don't breed dogs, never will. I'm just a typical dog owner. I've had dogs all my life, many of them pit bulls or variants there of going back to the 70's. My family never had them because they were trendy or fashionable, my dad liked them because they were good housedogs - clean, friendly, and decent watchdogs.

In all those decades, not one of our dogs ever bit anyone. I have 3 pit bull/pit bull mixes in my home now with the oldest being 9 yrs and they've never so much as growled at a guest, a workman, etc. They are less of a threat to the public than my neighbor's Pomeranian....seriously! The neighbor's Pom is allowed to run loose every day in the front yard and the dog has territorial aggression issues - it's a matter of time before someone's ankle gets bitten (and the dog's mouth is nasty...infection is a real possibility).

My dogs are casualties from the current trend. All three are rescues - one from Animal Control, the other two I took right off the street when they were discarded. One was even used as a breeder (now spayed, no one will ever use her that way again).

These are not dogs for everyone, but they are the right dogs for me and as long as I am responsible with my dogs, why does the state of Florida, the insurance companies, or Joe Public think they have the right to deny myself and my dogs our freedom?

Last edited by riveree; 01-19-2008 at 10:23 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 01-19-2008, 11:24 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,189,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Those are breeders, who are in business to make money and cater to a particular demand in the market.....

If the market turns and Albino Pomeranians are all the rage, those breeders will change their stock to accommodate the flow of dollars. These people do not represent all pit bulls or all pit bull owners, not by a long shot.

I've never bought a pit bull (or any breed dog) from a breeder, never will. I don't breed dogs, never will. I'm just a typical dog owner. I've had dogs all my life, many of them pit bulls or variants there of going back to the 70's. My family never had them because they were trendy or fashionable, my dad liked them because they were good housedogs - clean, friendly, and decent watchdogs.

In all those decades, not one of our dogs ever bit anyone. I have 3 pit bull/pit bull mixes in my home now with the oldest being 9 yrs and they've never so much as growled at a guest, a workman, etc. They are less of a threat to the public than my neighbor's Pomeranian....seriously! The neighbor's Pom is allowed to run loose every day in the front yard and the dog has territorial aggression issues - it's a matter of time before someone's ankle gets bitten (and the dog's mouth is nasty...infection is a real possibility).

My dogs are casualties from the current trend. All three are rescues - one from Animal Control, the other two I took right off the street when they were discarded. One was even used as a breeder (now spayed, no one will ever use her that way again).

These are not dogs for everyone, but they are the right dogs for me and as long as I am responsible with my dogs, why does the state of Florida, the insurance companies, or Joe Public think they have the right to deny myself and my dogs our freedom?
I am sorry to give such a short answer to your sincere well made post but, I am afraid the damage is already done and probably not reversible. Pit Bulls are tainted and nothing will change that and the public will always choose to error on the safe side.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:10 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,170,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
What does the term "bully" mean when referring to a pit bull?
Bully is just another name from the Bulldog breeds. Bulldog Breeds - English Bulldog, American Bulldog, Pit Bull Terrier, Pitbull and more Or that's how I have always taken it anyway. I do know for a fact though, that it ha absolutely nothing to do with the dogs temperament. I have met a lot of people that thought they were called "bully" breeds because they are bullies (which they aren't)! lol!

Old 01-19-2008, 01:18 PM

253 posts, read 1,053,497 times
Those look like dangerously adorable kidz too! Should of named them "Killer", "Thief", and "Gotcha", cuz I think their looks, killed you first and they stole your heart, and now they gotcha right where they want you. Good luck with that group of kidz...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulegirl View Post
Oliver is dangerous. Dangerously adorable. Here is my "boxer mix" Lucy, Her ABT sister Sugar, and their little brother SBT Toby (when he was broken).

And here is the pack with the Dogfather

Attachment 13321

Old 01-19-2008, 01:22 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,170,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanwalt3 View Post
Here's a pic of my marshmallow "Oliver". He's half Boxer and half Pit. Because of the ignorance of a large # of people out there, when someone asks me what breed he is, I say he's a Boxer mix and leave it at that. I hope this can change the perception that irresponsible Breeders and Owners have given us, and hopefully the legislature will wake up too.
I agree totally with clamping down on dangerous dogs, and their Owners but not in targeting a specific breed or mixture of that breed.
I believe that is the point of this discussion, the BSL, not a specific breed. You're entitled to your opinion regarding the BSL, but don't pick on my Boy. You can see he's got a rough life!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulegirl View Post
Oliver is dangerous. Dangerously adorable. Here is my "boxer mix" Lucy, Her ABT sister Sugar, and their little brother SBT Toby (when he was broken).

And here is the pack with the Dogfather

Attachment 13321
They are all gorgeous! Here are our three APBTs..

This is Brooklyn with my sister-in-law, he seems to be the one that people are scared of, I guess because he has a big head?

Destiny with my sister-in-law

And Jayda with my mother-in-law and brother-in-law

Old 01-19-2008, 02:52 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,341,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
This is wonderful news and I hope they incorporate this into Palm Beach County. It seems like everyone here has some dangerous pit bull that they don't keep on a leash. It would be nice to get those nasty dogs the hell out of here.
Unfortunately, this is why this BSL crap can pass. People are ignorant to the real issue. Pit Bulls and those types of breeds look menacing...thus, people assume they are. They see the bad press, and assume they are dangerous.

What should really pass is a law that prohibits the breeding of Pit Bulls in certain circumstances. It should be a requirement to fix your dog, of that breed/s, unless you are certified, carry a license, and are open to being on some sort of "owners/breeders" list. If you are not on that list, and sell a bully breed of that sort for profit...you are fined a huge amount of money. If you have one, but are not a certified breeder, and the vet notices you don't have it fixed...again....a HUGE ticket. That way, people who love the breed, can treat the breed well, and bring the breeds back to what they are supposed to be will have them....no degenerate crapheads who buy them out of the back of a truck from some loser, and then tie them up in the yard to scare people off their property.

The breed needs to be saved from the ignorant losers who run out to buy them for horrible purposes. Also, they are not a breed that you can ignore. If they regulate them, not ban them....it might help.

The whole thing makes me crazy.

Old 01-19-2008, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullMommie1206 View Post
That would make so much more sense! Simply banning or regulating a few breeds will just cause a false sense of security. No one wants to be attacked or bit by any dog, not just certain breeds, and no one wants to live near a dangerous dog, regardless of what breed it is. Banning certain breeds will do more harm than good. Think about how many truly wonderful dogs will be affected, and how many truly dangerous dogs won't be.

I know more "pit bulls" than any other breeds. My husband and I own 3 APBTs, my best friend and her mother each own an APBT, a good friend of mine owns 3 APBTs, my father just got an APBT, we have a friend that owns 2 AmStaffs and 2 Staffies, and a few other friends that own APBTs. I have yet to meet a mean "pit bull". I have been attacked by a Lab, my younger brother was attacked by a Lab, my neighbors when I was growing up owned a Lab that attacked 5 people before it was put to sleep, and the people that use to live across the street from us own two very aggressive Lab/ Shepherd mixes, one of which ran into our yard and attacked our male APBT! If the city we live in did end up banning "pit bulls", all of the extremely friendly "pit bulls" we know, including our 3, would have to move or be killed. But all of the aggressive dogs of other breeds are safe because they aren't "pit bulls"? How does that make sense? How does that keep anyone safe? How is that right or okay?!

Instead of waisting time and money, and causing a false sense of security, by regulating a few breeds, we need to regulate dogs that are truly dangerous. And we need to regulate breeders and owners.
Well said. The statistics in many parts of the government in this country are scewed. Reason being...where they get them, who submits them etc. 99% of the time, when a lab bites you...you may or may not run to the doctor/hospital, same with a dalmatian (Known for being biters!!!!), Chihuhuas...(I've had some serious skin breakage with these monsters), Goldens etc. BUT, when a person gets attacked, bitten whatever by a bully breed, they call in all the forces....fire, rescue, news, cable, magazine, police, swat etc. So, it goes on every single solitary news station. It's crap. The other thing that is crap is .....you always tend to hear the back story after the damage is done. **It was a roudy teenager taunting the dog. The dog's owner was being attacked. A robber etc.

If this BSL stuff passes, I will tell you....as it is in Ohio Insurance law...you will all be screwed! Mutts will no longer be accepted due to whatever they MAY or MAY not be mixed with. If a dog looks like a certain breed, it becomes trash. In Ohio...if you get robbed, by a guy with a gun...and you have a dangerous breed, and that dangerous breed dog bites that armed robber...guess what...YOU ARE THE ONE WHO CAN BE SUED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He'll do time for robbing you, but YOU CAN BE SUED BY AN ARMED ROBBER B/C you broke the law.

Let's get real people about where we should really draw the line. This law should NOT PASS.

Old 01-19-2008, 03:03 PM

22 posts, read 71,055 times
Although I do not know where I myself stand on this issue, I agree that it is likely a losing battle and that BSL against this breed or type of doggy will continue to spread across the U.S. and there is nothing that can be done about it. It is unfair to the responsible owners of this breed but because the majority of citizens dislike the breed no amount of letter writing or opposition will help. I feel for the owners of these dogs and would certainly dissuade anyone from becoming a new owner or companion of a Pit Bull because of all the potential heart ache they might face in the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
I am sorry to give such a short answer to your sincere well made post but, I am afraid the damage is already done and probably not reversible. Pit Bulls are tainted and nothing will change that and the public will always choose to error on the safe side.

Old 01-19-2008, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenDi View Post
Although I do not know where I myself stand on this issue, I agree that it is likely a losing battle and that BSL against this breed or type of doggy will continue to spread across the U.S. and there is nothing that can be done about it. It is unfair to the responsible owners of this breed but because the majority of citizens dislike the breed no amount of letter writing or opposition will help. I feel for the owners of these dogs and would certainly dissuade anyone from becoming a new owner or companion of a Pit Bull because of all the potential heart ache they might face in the future.
Unfortunately, your answer only feeds the problem. To dissuade people from becoming pit bull companions is sad. These dogs need to be loved. If caring people are not educated, then they are only left with the hype. Education is the only way to change a perception....so I vote for some kind of education...not turning back on breeds. Sorry. Also, no one should have a defeatest attitude about trying to reverse any poor legislation. People who just lay down and accept it is why this country is going in the crapper. People should stand up and speak their mind regarding what they believe in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: