Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 03:31 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,343,188 times

Advertisements

Also, everyone is honing in on the Pit Bull, but if you read the list...your lovely dog might be on there. It's not just the Pit Bull, the Staff, etc. Thus, I guess if everyone avoided loving a dog who they may have their heart broken over...then we should do away with dog's altogether. I have 4 dogs, and I know at least 4 times when my heart will break and ache. It's when i lose any of them. Thus, if you love a breed on that list...by all means...continue to love your dog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

Last edited by LewLew; 01-19-2008 at 03:32 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 04:01 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,192,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewLew View Post
Also, everyone is honing in on the Pit Bull, but if you read the list...your lovely dog might be on there. It's not just the Pit Bull, the Staff, etc. Thus, I guess if everyone avoided loving a dog who they may have their heart broken over...then we should do away with dog's altogether. I have 4 dogs, and I know at least 4 times when my heart will break and ache. It's when i lose any of them. Thus, if you love a breed on that list...by all means...continue to love your dog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !
The focus is always on the pit bull because all the way back they are where it all started. I remember when one took the face off a 4 year old in Hollywood Fl. like 25 or so years ago people didn't even know what they were. Then you began seeing, just like after a shark attack, story after story about the terror call the pit bull. Dogs have been biting people forever but all it took was the image of a Pit bull with that body and look to make it news story. Who even heard of a White Shark before Jaws?

Last edited by macguy; 01-19-2008 at 04:13 PM..

Old 01-19-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
The focus is always on the pit bull because all the way back they are where it all started. I remember when one took the face off a 4 year old in Hollywood Fl. like 25 or so years ago people didn't even know what they were. Then you began seeing, just like after a shark attack, story after story about the terror call the pit bull. Dogs have been biting people forever but all it took was the image of a Pit bull with that body and look to make it news story. Who even heard of a White Shark before Jaws?
MacGuy, yes...but the BSL legislation, whether it's the chicken or the egg...doesn't just apply to Pit bulls. The sad part of the matter is that most people will unknowingly pass the bill since they "don't care for" pit bulls...but not only will it hurt the GOOD dogs who are Pit Bulls, it will hurt good, innocent other dogs of many other breeds. All the while....someone you know may live next door to a typically docile breed who is actually pretty menacing.

The real truth, and anyone who studies dogs etc will admit...every dog has the ability to be vicious. No dog is vicious by nature....they are bread and taught to be that way. Thus, unfortunately b/c of HUMANE ignorance and cruelty poor children get their faces chewed off...not the other way around. Sorry...you'll NEVER EVER EVER get me to believe otherwise.
The fact of the matter is, "typically" the "wrong" types of people choose to own a pit, and thus.......
Now, if all the dog fighters, drug dealers, criminals, etc. turned their attention to another breed like the Chow (in the 80's) or a rotty or dobie...welll....the "news watchers" would then decide to hate those dogs. Until we start to educate ourselves on how problems arise....the soundbite generation of today will continue to be hosed by the brainwash we call the media.

Old 01-19-2008, 05:37 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,212,237 times
Here is the ordinance from Fairfiled Iowa.

Ordinances - City of Fairfield (http://cityoffairfieldiowa.com/utility/showArticle/?ObjectID=78&find=dogs&happ=siteAdministrator - broken link)

Old 01-19-2008, 06:02 PM

253 posts, read 1,053,791 times
Default Saying I don't know is an answer!

We can stop this type of legislation by taking a stand and saying NO! "I don't know," is giving the legislators a vote in favor of this. I don't believe that any thinking, caring, individual can give an OK to them to destroy animals that are not dangerous.
I'm not talking about you or myself wanting to adopt Vick's DOGS, and bring them into the house as a family pet.
I'm talking about those of us out there that have a dog in ??? or even a mixed one, and having legislation passed that will take a sweet companion away from us (for our own good) and kill them.
This is truly run away government, and bowing to a public feeding frenzy. The public is stupid enough to believe everything in a newspaper or on TV and be caught up in an outcry against all bull breeds.
Heck the ACLU stands up for rational targeting, who stands up for BREED TARGETING! No one,,,until 1, 2, 100, 1000, etc,,,say enough is enough. "I DON'T KNOW", SAYS YES! CAN YOU SAY "YES" TO THAT?
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenDi View Post
Although I do not know where I myself stand on this issue, I agree that it is likely a losing battle and that BSL against this breed or type of doggy will continue to spread across the U.S. and there is nothing that can be done about it. It is unfair to the responsible owners of this breed but because the majority of citizens dislike the breed no amount of letter writing or opposition will help. I feel for the owners of these dogs and would certainly dissuade anyone from becoming a new owner or companion of a Pit Bull because of all the potential heart ache they might face in the future.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanwalt3 View Post
We can stop this type of legislation by taking a stand and saying NO! "I don't know," is giving the legislators a vote in favor of this. I don't believe that any thinking, caring, individual can give an OK to them to destroy animals that are not dangerous.
I'm not talking about you or myself wanting to adopt Vick's DOGS, and bring them into the house as a family pet.
I'm talking about those of us out there that have a dog in ??? or even a mixed one, and having legislation passed that will take a sweet companion away from us (for our own good) and kill them.
This is truly run away government, and bowing to a public feeding frenzy. The public is stupid enough to believe everything in a newspaper or on TV and be caught up in an outcry against all bull breeds.
Heck the ACLU stands up for rational targeting, who stands up for BREED TARGETING! No one,,,until 1, 2, 100, 1000, etc,,,say enough is enough. "I DON'T KNOW", SAYS YES! CAN YOU SAY "YES" TO THAT?
100% yes...I agree with you. It is ludicrous. I agree wholeheartedly what you say about everyone believing what they read in the newspaper. Read my earlier posts. It's a soundbite generation, and until people understand why a breed/s is/are targeted, then there will be sanity to this situation. Pit Bulls are mixed breed dogs. Until people get that....which is the beginning of the breed, they can't understand anything after that. Usually anyone who owns a bully breed of any sort that is a mix..most assume it's a pit. I have friends who own a pure bred Boxer. Because he is brindle in color, EVERYONE assumes he's a pit, crosses the street, won't pet him, won't let their dogs play with him. He's a PRIME example of why this is a horrible piece of legislation. Boomer is an awesome dog...and gets slighted b/c of ignorance. It's very sad really. However, i'm not surprised. It's the same with slighting certain races, ethnic heritages etc. all because of media hype. Truly, I sometimes wonder why people don't pray to the tv...b/c they believe everything that comes out of it.

Letting the government come into your home this much is an outrage. Regulation and education is the key...not this broad based banning and ludicrous behavior. Prosecute the Vick's of the world...not the innocent animal they bastardised, and created into a monster.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:01 AM

1 posts, read 1,352 times
I would just like to say that I have lived in Richmond,Va my whole 24 years of being on earth and recently are thinking of moving to the great state of Florida.Let me state for the record that being from Virginia we have had a lot of heat about Pit Bulls and certain breeds thanks to Mike Vick. It should be noted that Pit bulls are not the problem it is the owners I don't know how many times people have to say this it is becoming redundent. Secondly I have grown up around pit bulls and amstaffs and I now have an 8 month old pit bull who is labeled mixed breed because she has no papers. She is very sweet and affectionate anytime there is a child around she stands guard so to speak she doesn't leave the childs side. Yes these dogs were breed to fight but if you also read into it these dogs were for the royal heirs,kings,and bishops in Britain. They were trained guard dogs as well. I would also like to state that animals are animals and everyone should know that by now and should be prepared to deal with the consequences of any and all actions when it comes to there dogs and cats,because cats here in Richmond are outrageous my next door neighbor had over 20 stray cats and animal control and police couldn't do a thing because the law is stupid so once again cats as cruel and vicious as they are just think they have to get de clawed not dogs!!!!! I want everyone to realize that even though it's the hip hop age to have a pit bull most young adults are trying to raise pit bulls to breed for good money and to have them healthy and show in dog shows not to FIGHT!!!!!most everyone I know in the Richmond has a pit bull and it's all about how pretty or big or sweet the dog is not fighting them. People are taking pride in their animals and that should not be discouraged. I hope our new great president might have a view or opinion on this that might be helpful. ONCE AGAIN DO NOT BLAME THE BREED OF DOG BLAME THE OWNER WE ALL NEED TO TAKE RESPONSIBILTY FOR OUR ACTIONS AND THOSE WE ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR MOST PETS ARE LIKE MEMBERS OF THE FAMILY. THE MOVIE MARLEY AND ME REALLY EXPAINS IT WELL IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT IT IS A MUST SEE FOR ALL DOG LOVERS REGARDLESS OF BREED PREFERENCE. THANKS FOR LETTING ME STATE MY OPINION!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: