Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 08:30 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,998,484 times

Advertisements

Are older? Have any physical limitations? If your son can be considered a caregiver in any way, it gives you room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 09:13 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,453,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynanncrosby View Post
Hello,
My lease expires in July and I had planned on renewing my lease. My landlord called me on Friday (4/24/15) to advise me that the HOA is threatening on not renewing my lease unless I conform to their demands (kicking my son out by 5/1/15)......

Something is not stated correctly here. You are leasing but the landlord is a person, not the "HOA". So where is the "HOA" involved in your lease renewal with the landlord?

Also is the really an HOA burdened property or is it a condominium property burdened by a condominium corporation?

Old 05-07-2015, 05:39 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,209 times
No offense, but I think there's more of a story with your son than you're providing?
Is he a registered sex offender?
Has he been arrested multiple times for other offenses?

I just find it hard to believe if he's minding his own business that people have a problem with him.

So again, what's the problem with your son that people are concerned about?

Old 05-07-2015, 08:22 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,926,264 times
THe HOA has no jurisdiction about renewing your lease, only the Landlord does. Unless you have broken any HOA rules or regulations thay cannot do anything, although many think they have that power. It could be the landlord is passing the buck. Is there anything in your contract that says how many persons can live there? There are discrimination laws against refusing families with Children but since yours is an adult probably doesn't apply.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:39 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
Maybe your lease doesn't say it but I get the feeling you are in a 55+ community where people under a certain age can't stay longer than 14 days or 30 days in a row.

Of course I assume this since you don't disclose it. Your lease doesn't have to say it since the HOA rules are binding for every apartment/property in the community.

How can your son save money by laying on his bed watching TV all day!!!!

Is he collecting welfare or some other entitlement while not disclosing he is living with you and therefore collecting more money and you may call that saving money.

I never heard of anyone watching TV all day and able to save money.

Maybe you can share your secret to success as I may be to stupid to go and work daily and perhaps can get more money watching TV from my bed on a daily base.... please share this as I'm anxious to know that secret to success!

Old 05-10-2015, 12:04 PM

517 posts, read 1,092,338 times
??? (re post #15)

How the OP's son spends most of his time in any given day is not stated (either way) by the OP. (Describing how someone spends their "home time"--that is, what they mainly do when they're at home--doesn't tell you anything about how much or little of their day is spent at home.)

The situation sounds very stressful, and I hope things have been (or can be) worked out for the best for all involved.

Last edited by City__Datarer; 05-10-2015 at 12:22 PM..

Old 05-12-2015, 06:14 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
No offense, but I think there's more of a story with your son than you're providing?
Is he a registered sex offender?
Has he been arrested multiple times for other offenses?

I just find it hard to believe if he's minding his own business that people have a problem with him.

So again, what's the problem with your son that people are concerned about?

still waiting to hear about the 'rest of the story'.

My personal guess is that the son has some troubles with the law, probably a registered sex offender, and one of the neighbors uncovered this info.

If this is the case, I can't blame them for wanting him out of the neighborhood.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:53 AM

4 posts, read 3,604 times
Wow...sorry guys..I never got any kind of email until just now that anyone had responded to my inquiry. The HOA bylaws here say that family members and guests of tenants and owners are welcome. My lease says verbatim " 19. Subletting number of occupants: the Lessee shall not assign or subblet any part or the wholeof the leased premises, nor shall permit the leased premises to be occupied for a period longer than a temporary visit by anyone except for the individuals specifically named in the first paragraph of this lease, their spouses and any children born to them during the term of this lease or any extension or renewal thereof without first obtaining written permission on each occasion." Anyway, with that being said things escalated with the major complaint that he was causing too much noise while leaving for work in the morning (430am). I was told that my lease would be renewed if he left and that the community didn't have an issue with me just with him. The HOA and my landlord gave him 4 days to leave , which they insisted upon..so he left Sunday, May 10th and is now sleeping in a tent in the woods close to his work. Today, however we found suitable housing for him and he can move in on Sunday May 24th and its a very good situation in an excellent neighborhood close to the school he plans to attend. My problem now is that I am royally pissed off and although we found him housing , he is still living in the woods for another 10 days as I don't dare bring him back here even temporarily. Housing here is very difficult to find and rents are crazy high for this area. I also work from home and it isn't all that easy to set up elsewhere. This is the one single most ignorant thing I have ever been asked to do and I am ashamed that I actually did it. Thank you all for your responses.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:58 AM

4 posts, read 3,604 times
For the record...he isn't a sex offender or a criminal...just young man who has made poor choices and is realizing he isn't getting any younger...I think I was about his age when I finally snapped into adult hood and got myself an education and a good job. He does go to work every day also..just spends his home time for the most part secluded in his room. This is a condo complex with individual owners but is governed by an HOA who can decide if an owner can even rent out their property. My land lord was less than supportive during all of this and yes, it was hugely stressful.

Last edited by cynanncrosby; 05-14-2015 at 02:00 AM.. Reason: added sentences

Old 05-14-2015, 06:54 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynanncrosby View Post
" 19. Subletting number of occupants: the Lessee shall not assign or subblet any part or the wholeof the leased premises, nor shall permit the leased premises to be occupied for a period longer than a temporary visit by anyone except for the individuals specifically named in the first paragraph of this lease, their spouses and any children born to them during the term of this lease or any extension or renewal thereof without first obtaining written permission on each occasion."
That's a very restrictive lease. I'm not sure, if your son was a minor, that it would be legally enforceable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida