Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 08:31 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,277,684 times

Advertisements

Close the thread .... What Will be Will Be.... Extreemism is rampant. Not to mention anger turned to hate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 09:17 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,620,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
In the last few years the rise has been about 1.3mm (Average) per year. That would be about 1" in 9-10 years.

A reasonable projection is about 6" by 2100.

I won't be around to see it unless something really drastic happens.
Great! Leave a mess for those that will be around.

Quote:
Yes spend billions for an approximate 1" rise in the next 10 years.
Spending billions for 1" does sound extreme. Being proactive and spending billions because it won't stop at 1" seems to make more sense. But you don't care because you'll be dead and gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
Close the thread .... What Will be Will Be.... Extreemism is rampant. Not to mention anger turned to hate.
Who's hating?

Old 05-19-2015, 01:15 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
Quote:
Yes spend billions for an approximate 1" rise in the next 10 years.
What would these billions be spent on? and if there is a need to spend billions to presumably avert a serious future flooding issue wouldnt it be better to do whatever is needed before you are underwater?

Old 05-19-2015, 07:56 AM

17,118 posts, read 15,334,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
What would these billions be spent on? and if there is a need to spend billions to presumably avert a serious future flooding issue wouldnt it be better to do whatever is needed before you are underwater?
Giant walls to stop the water from flooding the land... There go our beaches.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:19 AM

2,682 posts, read 2,178,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Giant walls to stop the water from flooding the land... There go our beaches.
That will not help in Florida. Florida isn't the Netherlands or New Orleans. The land on which the population sits is made of porous limestone (that's why there are sinkholes). Build a wall around the entire State? We need to finish the one on the Mexican border first.

There are videos on YouTube showing recurring flooding in Miami Beach even in the absence of any storms. Why is Miami Beach spending millions on water pumps?

People who talk about how ridiculous it is to spend billions for a mere 1" sea level rise miss the point about the nature of the damage that threatens property in the State. If you ignore the facts and the science, its easy to discount the threats, as the Governor has done. Its a lame attempt to insure that the FL RE market comes back and keeps growing in value.

I think its funny how people will rely on the expertise of an electrician, a plumber, or a roofer when it comes to protecting their home, but climate scientists are ignored or ridiculed.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:40 AM

17,118 posts, read 15,334,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
That will not help in Florida. Florida isn't the Netherlands or New Orleans. The land on which the population sits is made of porous limestone (that's why there are sinkholes). Build a wall around the entire State? We need to finish the one on the Mexican border first.

There are videos on YouTube showing recurring flooding in Miami Beach even in the absence of any storms. Why is Miami Beach spending millions on water pumps?

People who talk about how ridiculous it is to spend billions for a mere 1" sea level rise miss the point about the nature of the damage that threatens property in the State. If you ignore the facts and the science, its easy to discount the threats, as the Governor has done. Its a lame attempt to insure that the FL RE market comes back and keeps growing in value.

I think its funny how people will rely on the expertise of an electrician, a plumber, or a roofer when it comes to protecting their home, but climate scientists are ignored or ridiculed.
I was being sarcastic.
I don't see where Florida could spend 1 Billion dollars to prevent flooding.
Water rising is a worldwide problem. Florida won't be able to do it on its own. Unless we just dig a huge underground network of tunnels to California and Nevada, where drought has been an ongoing issue, and divert some of the water there? Send them some of our pythons with it?

Old 05-19-2015, 10:03 AM

2,682 posts, read 2,178,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I was being sarcastic.
I don't see where Florida could spend 1 Billion dollars to prevent flooding.
Water rising is a worldwide problem. Florida won't be able to do it on its own. Unless we just dig a huge underground network of tunnels to California and Nevada, where drought has been an ongoing issue, and divert some of the water there? Send them some of our pythons with it?
Sorry -- I wasn't meaning to challenge your post, just seemed a good way to continue the thread.

The issue is so big and potentially expensive that its hard to wrap your mind around it. A complicating factor is that the rate of rise itself is subject to increase. And, the degree of damage also depends on the frequency and severity of future hurricane seasons, which is not easily predictable.

I got on this forum because we were considering retirement in FL within the next year. Climate change is not exactly my biggest concern -- property values are -- but climate change will eventually have an impact on property values, despite the smokescreens put up by politicians and real estate interests. For example, recent changes in flood insurance subsidies are the result of costs incurred by insurance companies during weather events.

Pythons yes. I've also been reading about some critter called a blind flowerpot snake (?) that was imported from somewhere else and is taking over the State. Send them those too.

Old 05-19-2015, 04:47 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,199,952 times
Quote:
Sorry -- I wasn't meaning to challenge your post, just seemed a good way to continue the thread.

The issue is so big and potentially expensive that its hard to wrap your mind around it. A complicating factor is that the rate of rise itself is subject to increase. And, the degree of damage also depends on the frequency and severity of future hurricane seasons, which is not easily predictable.

I got on this forum because we were considering retirement in FL within the next year. Climate change is not exactly my biggest concern -- property values are -- but climate change will eventually have an impact on property values, despite the smokescreens put up by politicians and real estate interests. For example, recent changes in flood insurance subsidies are the result of costs incurred by insurance companies during weather events.

Pythons yes. I've also been reading about some critter called a blind flowerpot snake (?) that was imported from somewhere else and is taking over the State. Send them those too.
Great point.

Most of the problem is on the messaging and communication of climate change impact. I think if people focus on the consequence of it such as the storms, floods and property damage, and the ripple effect on insurance and the economy at large, on things that the average Joe can relate to and appreciate, it would have been easy. People latch on the mm or cm increase per decades and have hard time getting the bigger picture. I don't blame them.

It is OK if the state want to call it Climate Hazard--point is we need to get prepared for it, whatever it is called, period.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:13 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,829,996 times
Quote:

Or decrease.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:38 AM

264 posts, read 229,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Yeah, science, another liberal invention. What's next; we're related to chimpanzees? The Earth is billions of years old? Democrats crack me up.
Please tell me this is your version of satire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida