Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 03:28 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,271,528 times

Advertisements

I suggest using the Job Market $$ as a partial Indicator.. " No Slight Intended" but your husband could find a job just about anywhere in America, that he wanted to move to.. truth be told, you will probably need to be closer to a "larger" city to allow the best options and income..As others have said most of Florida is pretty Cosmopolitan.. 2.5 years and I have met and talked to a LOT of people and the Majority are from somewhere else.. That said you can and will run into a few jerks anywhere you move to.. Ignore them.. the rest of us already are : )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 07:06 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,617,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfruler View Post
Hello all and thank you for taking the time to read my post.

I am a 38 year old Black wife and mother who has lived in Michigan (both in and directly outside of Detroit) for most of my life. Although I have traveled to Florida (my husband is a Florida native) to visit my inlaws, I have never stayed for any real length of time to gather a true opinion of the State. I do love the weather (most of the time) and scenery.

We will be moving to Florida this year and my main source of anxiety and worry is making sure that we move to a place that is not only safe but somewhat diverse to where my daughter (who is black/asian/white) will interact with children who are from different backgrounds and she will not feel like the "odd man out." I want her to see people like her and people like her mother. It's just what we're used to. She's 9 and I really want the transition to be a positive one for her.

Since I personally consider Florida to be the "South," I have certain perceptions about Florida that may or may not be true - particularly, racial tolerance issues. For that reason also, I am interested in a diverse area that is safe, proving that people of different racial classifications can coexist peacefully and children will be raised in a positive environment.

My top 3 areas of concern are education, safety and diversity. I know this may be a longshot or like looking for a unicorn, but is there such a place in Florida? Granted, we're not rich (husband is a nurse case manager and I'm a Paralegal) but we make a good living. Any decent middle class neighborhoods with great schools, low crime and a somewhat diverse makeup of families? I'm not looking for 50/50 splits down the line but you get what I'm saying....
Elfruler? Let's see if we can put your mind at ease!

Florida is a very diverse state so rule #1? Do not call us "Southerners" even if your hubby is from Florida!
This is a very diverse state so don't worry about your daughter interacting with other kids here.
As for safety? Common sense goes a long way but remember you are moving into a state that has 20 Million residents & over 60 Million tourists a year. The metros of Miami & Orlando alone exceeds the entire population of the state of Michigan.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:27 PM

242 posts, read 346,161 times
I won't lie to you-there is A LOT of racism in Florida going back to the Civil War. A LOT of Florida consists of Rednecks, if you will. All the interior areas are country folk who for the most part want to be around their own people be that black, white or red. All this said, interracial couples are better off in ultra liberals ares like Los Angeles, SF, Seattle and Oregon. If my wife were black (I'm white) then Florida would be THE LAST PLACE I WOULD CALL HOME!

Old 05-13-2015, 09:39 PM

242 posts, read 346,161 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/flori...e-florida.html

Old 05-14-2015, 11:05 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,440,025 times
A: Come down, and find a JOB. That is your primary JOB. THEN find an place to live. Moving first without a job, idea of a job, etc is a problem just waiting to happen. You might love living in Miami, but end up with a job in Jacksonville.

Old 05-14-2015, 02:35 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,617,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebn78 View Post
I won't lie to you-there is A LOT of racism in Florida going back to the Civil War. A LOT of Florida consists of Rednecks, if you will. All the interior areas are country folk who for the most part want to be around their own people be that black, white or red. All this said, interracial couples are better off in ultra liberals ares like Los Angeles, SF, Seattle and Oregon. If my wife were black (I'm white) then Florida would be THE LAST PLACE I WOULD CALL HOME!
What a drama Queen you are! Florida was barely a US state when the Civil War broke out since it was admitted to the Union in 1845 and the Civil War broke out less than 20 years earlier.
Miami didn't even exist until 1896 when it was Incorporated by a black Bahamian railroad worker named Silus Austin who was a railroad worker for Henry Flagler.

Florida also has the largest African American population in the entire south with 3+ Million (yes! even larger than Texas!)

As for racism? that is a Human condition not a Florida one. Elfruler as a minority myself don't worry about Florida and race relations because I don't. Just my 2 cents!

Old 05-14-2015, 02:44 PM

105 posts, read 106,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfruler View Post
We were also looking at Broward County but it looks to be expensive to live there (ie Miramar, Pembroke Pines). Thanks for responding!
If your looking at Miramar, it would probably be a better fit in West Miramar (West of N Hiatus Road, and Miramar Parkway) East Miramar (Where I'm From) can get sketchy especially at night.

Old 05-14-2015, 02:47 PM

105 posts, read 106,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebn78 View Post

Old 05-14-2015, 06:50 PM

292 posts, read 702,739 times
To the OP, do not listen to ebn78. Keep asking questions, do your research, visit FL, stay awhile and see if it's meant to be for your family. Good luck!

Old 05-14-2015, 11:56 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
The remaining bits of the Old South in Florida tend to be rural areas like (shudder) Perry where you wouldn't have though of moving to anyways. I think there's still a giant confederate flag at one of the interstate interchanges in Tampa, but most people just roll their eyes at it if they're in a passenger seat. Even the Panhandle, which has a southern feel to it generally sees a lot of interracial relationships because they're common in the military bases up here, and the military won't let anyone say anything bad about that. (The first school desegregation in Florida actually happened at 'southern' Eglin Air Force Base/ Fort Walton Beach when the rest of the state was waiting for lower level court order for that)

Yes, you probably can find jerks in any crowd, but you can find similar in a lot of parts of Michigan too. (I grew up in GR.) For the most part, people don't really care about who you're married to or what a couple looks like as long as they keep the yard nice, don't have junk cars in the driveway, and keep the noise in your house down after 10:00pm or so.

It was kind of an interesting contrast to watch courts order gay marriages to be allowed in Alabama and Florida.

Alabama- 40% of the state still thinks interracial marriage should be illegal, head of Alabama state Surpreme Court orders county clerks to not issue marriage licenses to gay couples despite federal court order. Chaos ensues.

Florida- court order comes down, most people just kind of shrug and try to figure out how to make money off it, Tampa area tourist development councils have 'Come Get Gay Married in Florida!!!' promotional campaign already planned for and set to roll within hours of court order. Life goes on, the nice gay couple down the street who landscapes their yard so beautifully has a small party for a few friends as they're married by a notary they found at the local AAA office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida