Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 03:54 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,212,739 times

Advertisements

Priorities seem a tad out of whack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 04:13 PM

814 posts, read 2,032,904 times
key west, florida sounds like the spot for you they got shops, beaches, nightlife, plus subsidized militarily housing with lots of non enlisted civilians/non active duty living there too. the on base canteen/store sells everything from clothes to food fairly cheap. they have lots of newly rebuilt open housing stock for discounted rent to former active military personnel

Key West Family Housing | Balfour Beatty Communities

Old 05-18-2015, 04:19 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,212,739 times
on base access wouldn't apply to the OP unless he's fully retired would it? if he's out of the military, would he still receive housing subsidies?

Old 05-18-2015, 08:33 PM

10 posts, read 10,785 times
I thought I placed one in FL and Tampa. That's my mistake.

But we have two areas to work with now & that's surrounding two bases. Bf is going reserves and we need to be near the Eglin AFB or the Tampa one. Since he will be going to school full-time (with his GI Bill), they will be giving him BAH to live out there. Once he gets put at a base, from there, I will search for jobs to have a second income flowing in. I have a Bachelor's degree in Marketing and I hope to find something reasonable out there.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:36 PM

10 posts, read 10,785 times
And money is saved up. Still saving up.

We hope to move by the end of this year.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:42 AM

623 posts, read 957,219 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad5paRXNWVg

Old 05-21-2015, 09:09 AM

162 posts, read 145,739 times
That You Tube video is on point!!!! I would look at the housing you can afford prior to moving. Research homeowner's insurance also...it can add thousands to your yearly cost. I would not move to Florida till I actually had a job. The employment opportunities are very limited and low paying.

Old 05-21-2015, 11:58 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,390,952 times
Check out St Aug, they have the beaches and night life with relatively low COL if you arent in the heart of the City.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:49 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,084,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retired11 View Post
That You Tube video is on point!!!! I would look at the housing you can afford prior to moving. Research homeowner's insurance also...it can add thousands to your yearly cost. I would not move to Florida till I actually had a job. The employment opportunities are very limited and low paying.
Not to accuse of you being another curmudgeon, but when you say "the employment opportunities are very limited and low paying" when you apply it to an entire state across all job types is rather ridiculous. Plus you're also retired so I'm not sure how much you were actively looking. Didn't you move to Florida from NY to retire?

It might be fair to say that Florida has less high finance jobs than in NYC. It's also probably fair to say that there are fewer acting jobs in Florida than in Hollywood. But that's meaningless unless you're destined to work at a hedge fund or be in a movie.

Florida does have a lot of low paying service jobs. So do other places. Given that Florida is a major tourist destination there are going to be lots of jobs in the service industry.

However, many other jobs, including high tech, have moved from the NE to Florida (and Texas, and Arizona, etc.) over the past 10 years. Not all employment opportunities are limited and low paying.

I do agree with one statement - it is always better to move with an opportunity lined up rather than to move and then "think" you can find a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida