Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 10:29 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
But don't forget to include no state income tax here. That saves ~ $10,000/year on my wife's six figure salary. The salary she is making here in FL is higher than she made in NC and MA.
The problem is people like the OP believe that everyone in FL is in fast food or tourism where wages are generally low. In NYC, the most expensive COL city in the US a fast food worker makes pretty much the same salary as one in FL and just about everywhere else. But even though we are all not in the fast food or tourism biz, not that there is anything wrong with that, we also work for $8-10 per hour.

It is so silly that anyone pushes that agenda. Such useless non-information to the sites subscribers, but I guess it gives them some sense of purpose in life. Anyone with common sense who is relocating would know what the salaries and job opportunities are available in their target location. I think those who post here that they are relocating on 20 bucks and a 1972 Volkswagen are not those who actually are relocating anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 01:10 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,893,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
Does that include property tax and insurance? I'm not going to get into my income, but it's almost a wash between FL vs. NC for me. The state income tax is way over-hyped.
Yes. For us, we are saving thousands here compared to NC when everything is accounted for. I am sure it varies by state and by situation, though.

Old 05-21-2015, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
How long ago did you leave NC and MA ? If it was more than a couple of years ago, that comparison is not relevant. Were the jobs absolutely identical in all 3 places ?
2.5 years ago and identical job.

Old 05-21-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Not necessarily ... show me the median per capita income for F/T working folks in Florida and then we'll talk. Surely Florida keeps that stat somewhere ...
I have no idea. I am not the one throwing out unsubstantiated statements. I am just saying that if you are comparing the exact same states for states, then you cannot claim exceptions for one state and not another, without providing the proof. Well, I guess technically one could but no one would believe them.

Old 05-21-2015, 06:08 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,194,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
2.5 years ago and identical job.
You left NC and MA at exactly the same time ? So the move(s) were transfers of her existing job and they gave her a raise to come to Florida ?

Old 05-21-2015, 06:36 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,911,705 times
Quote:
You left NC and MA at exactly the same time ? So the move(s) were transfers of her existing job and they gave her a raise to come to Florida ?

I'm more confused by someone leaving NC for FL - Pinellas Co at that. LOL. I thought I was the only one dumb enough hahahaha - NO OFFENSE.

Old 05-22-2015, 05:55 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
I'm more confused by someone leaving NC for FL - Pinellas Co at that. LOL. I thought I was the only one dumb enough hahahaha - NO OFFENSE.
I guess now that you are here and discontent you cant leave. Right?

How on earth do people relocate without knowing what to expect once they get there?

Old 05-22-2015, 07:02 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
This is just my opinion, but I definitely wouldn't live in FL if I was making a low wage like that. And luckily I don't. But if you make a good salary, then it's a great place to be.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:24 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,911,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I guess now that you are here and discontent you cant leave. Right?

How on earth do people relocate without knowing what to expect once they get there?
I'm not discontent - I'm fine here. But I am not in love with FL and I do like NC more, but that doesnt mean I cant be happy here. But I do know only like 3 ppl EVER that left NC for FL and I'm one of them. It was kinda of a joke.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:43 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
The problem is people like the OP believe that everyone in FL is in fast food or tourism where wages are generally low. In NYC, the most expensive COL city in the US a fast food worker makes pretty much the same salary as one in FL and just about everywhere else. But even though we are all not in the fast food or tourism biz, not that there is anything wrong with that, we also work for $8-10 per hour.

It is so silly that anyone pushes that agenda. Such useless non-information to the sites subscribers, but I guess it gives them some sense of purpose in life. Anyone with common sense who is relocating would know what the salaries and job opportunities are available in their target location. I think those who post here that they are relocating on 20 bucks and a 1972 Volkswagen are not those who actually are relocating anywhere.
Well said. A lot of times it is jealous people from the NE whose communities are shedding jobs to Florida and other Southern states creating these stories about how Florida people are all rednecks, retirees and old drunks.

My only correction - with regard to NYC - is that at a collective level it's not necessarily the highest COL. You can live more reasonably in Queens or Staten Island than Manhattan. But you're still of course paying city and state income tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida