Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 06:08 AM

31 posts, read 134,537 times

Advertisements

As I'll be relocating to florida soon (kissimmee) I noticed on their DMV sites that they only accept government agency correspondence as proof of residence, and was wondering, (since I'm coming from Illinois and staying in motels while I find rent and have no residential address), how do I go about getting the I.D card or finding rent without a state I.D. Is that even possible?
Would my illinois state I.D be good for finding rent there? I heard sometimes you can use your old I.D for 30 days or so before the new one kicks in, don't know if that's the case in Florida though, and my google searches were futile.

Last edited by billyboy2674; 05-24-2015 at 06:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 07:44 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,622,573 times
Yes you can rent with your other state ID. You can always say you are a snowbird if DMV would ever ask. When I moved here I was not certain I was going to stay so I lived here for 6 months before getting a FL drivers license. I think I may have gotten a FL ID. They allowed that back then, now if you are a licensed driver you can't just get a FL ID, you have to get a drivers license. But since you can't be licensed in 2 states you can keep your IL one and say you are a snowbird until you settle in.

Old 05-24-2015, 07:53 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,861,965 times
From Florida DMV...........

You Have 30 Days
Florida law requires that you get a Florida drivers license within 30 days of becoming a resident of Florida. You are a resident if you do one of the following:

Enroll your children in a Florida public school
Accept employment
Register to Vote
File for a homestead exemption
Reside in Florida for more than six consecutive months

Old 05-24-2015, 08:24 AM

31 posts, read 134,537 times
Okay thanks to both of you...sometimes little things like this can get somewhat complicated.

Old 05-24-2015, 11:17 AM

13 posts, read 14,053 times
Question! I have accepted a job (back in April actually) but I'm still in Texas and won't be starting my job in Orlando until August 3. Will this be ok? I can't get a Florida DL until I get there in July. I won't get in trouble, right? And I'll be living at an aunts house until my home gets built in October. Does this mean I have to reapply for my license once I have my permanent address too?

Old 05-24-2015, 11:30 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,622,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohana4 View Post
Question! I have accepted a job (back in April actually) but I'm still in Texas and won't be starting my job in Orlando until August 3. Will this be ok? I can't get a Florida DL until I get there in July. I won't get in trouble, right? And I'll be living at an aunts house until my home gets built in October. Does this mean I have to reapply for my license once I have my permanent address too?
You have 30 days from when you start your job to switch to a Florida DL. You can use your Aunts address. Once you get your own place you just get a change of address which costs $25 and may be able to be done online. If you are already licensed it's easy to switch, you just bring in your documents to the DMV. Registering your car rules have changed since I moved here. Where I live the DMV is confusing. There is a Drivers License office and a "tax collector" to get your registration and plates. Some are really badly run private offices that charge an extra fee with rude employees. They don't even have an information line, they tell you to take a number and wait hours even if you want to know if you are at the right office for what you need. I did find the central DMV office for my county and it was much better, but I think it still only handled drivers license issues.

Old 05-24-2015, 12:18 PM

13 posts, read 14,053 times
Thanks! That makes me feel better. I haven't read up on things yet since it was still a ways off. But I guess I'd better get started at least so I know what I'm doing and where I should be going for things.

Old 05-24-2015, 03:30 PM

3,027 posts, read 7,885,628 times
Ck with DMV on internet to get what is required,very strict requirements.
We have been licensed in FL for 25 years and on recent renewal we had to show marriage license among several other items.Luckily we still had it after only 60 years married!!!

Old 05-24-2015, 07:50 PM

6,864 posts, read 11,999,380 times
Requirements for Florida Driver License. Go to gathergoget.com

Old 05-25-2015, 02:41 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,314,554 times
Been here 3 1/2 years, and still have my Arizona I.D. (which has no expiration date, so why get another I.D.?) It works everywhere I go. Come and get me coppers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida