Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2008, 10:45 AM

3 posts, read 8,712 times

Advertisements

Planning a trip to the Miami and Fort Lauderdale area Feb 20th - 27th. I had some questions for you locals...

First of all, major sites to see/things to do: I know I want to go to a few beaches so what are the most beautiful ones? I would also like to go to a white sand beach so where are thoses? Thinking about spending a day at an amusement park if there's one. I would like to do some shopping... perhaps one of your best malls and some downtown shopping. Also I would like to go to some very upscale shopping areas like Burberry, Louis Vuitton, etc. And just what else must we absolutely do?

Transportation: we will not have a car so I was thinking maybe a bus pass would be best..?? Taxies get too expensive.

Hotels: I was wondering if it's a good idea to stay a few nights in Fort Lauderdale and a few nights in Miami so we don't have to travel back and forth each night and day. What are some of the best areas to get a hotel? I was looking at the Crystal Beach Suites and Health Club for Miami. (I kinda like to cut back when it comes to hotels b/c all we'll be doing is sleeping there... but not cut back so much that it's a piece of crap in the getto). I noticed this hotel is off on that little 'island', is it difficult to find transportation back and forth?

Dining: For lunches, I know I want to eat at places that are fast and inexpensive. For dinners, I want a few places that are nice sit-down somewhat average priced and a few inexpensive places.

Weather: What type of clothing should we pack for Feb 20 - 27? I'm thinking it might be in the 70's..? So maybe some shorts and pants? Long sleeve/short sleeve? Jackets? Possibility of rain?

Any other info you may have, please let us know!
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 02:04 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
Planning a trip to the Miami and Fort Lauderdale area Feb 20th - 27th. I had some questions for you locals...

First of all, major sites to see/things to do: I know I want to go to a few beaches so what are the most beautiful ones? I would also like to go to a white sand beach so where are thoses? Thinking about spending a day at an amusement park if there's one. I would like to do some shopping... perhaps one of your best malls and some downtown shopping. Also I would like to go to some very upscale shopping areas like Burberry, Louis Vuitton, etc. And just what else must we absolutely do?

Miami Beach, is the only tourist attraction near Miami. Downtown is only for shoppers who like to see homeless people and buy electronics. For a better experience, try Coral Gables or Bal Harbour.

Transportation: we will not have a car so I was thinking maybe a bus pass would be best..?? Taxies get too expensive.

Good luck! No transportation connects the hot areas of Miami-Ft Lauderdale. Rent a car or prepare to spend most of your time in a bus.

Hotels: I was wondering if it's a good idea to stay a few nights in Fort Lauderdale and a few nights in Miami so we don't have to travel back and forth each night and day. What are some of the best areas to get a hotel? I was looking at the Crystal Beach Suites and Health Club for Miami. (I kinda like to cut back when it comes to hotels b/c all we'll be doing is sleeping there... but not cut back so much that it's a piece of crap in the getto). I noticed this hotel is off on that little 'island', is it difficult to find transportation back and forth?

Get a hotel with parking. Rent a car.

Dining: For lunches, I know I want to eat at places that are fast and inexpensive. For dinners, I want a few places that are nice sit-down somewhat average priced and a few inexpensive places.

Lots of chain restaurants to choose from, as well as a few local places. They do change often so its hard to know the best ones.

Weather: What type of clothing should we pack for Feb 20 - 27? I'm thinking it might be in the 70's..? So maybe some shorts and pants? Long sleeve/short sleeve? Jackets? Possibility of rain?

The weather is always variable. Rain is rare though. If it does get cool it does not last more than 3-4 days. I have lived in south Florida my whole life and do not own a sweater, jacket or anything with long sleeves.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:10 PM

3 posts, read 8,712 times
Anyone else?

Old 01-20-2008, 08:43 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cshell View Post

First of all, major sites to see/things to do: I know I want to go to a few beaches so what are the most beautiful ones? I would also like to go to a white sand beach so where are thoses? Thinking about spending a day at an amusement park if there's one. I would like to do some shopping... perhaps one of your best malls and some downtown shopping. Also I would like to go to some very upscale shopping areas like Burberry, Louis Vuitton, etc. And just what else must we absolutely do?.
I like Hollywood Beach. A beach is pretty much a beach. There' sand and water. The beaches here are pretty clean and nice but they're all the same.

The nearest amusement park I can think of is in Orlando. That's 3-4 hours by car.

Downtown shopping in Fort Lauderdale is great on Las Olas Blvd. Coral Gables and Bal Harbour are also nice. The best shopping attraction in the area is Sawgrass Mills. It's an outlet mall with a new, luxury section that was just built. It's in Sunrise about 25 minutes west of Fort Lauderdale. There's also a new Ikea in the same area.

Quote:
You really need to rent a car. Especially if you want to travel between Fort Lauderdale, Miami and the western suburbs.

Quote:
I would stay in Fort Lauderdale at one of the big name chains that are moderately priced and rent a car. There are some new hotels in Fort Lauderdale that are located away from the beach (on US 1 or SE 17th) that would let you save some money on the hotel and rent a car instead. You REALLY need to rent a car. Make sure the hotel has parking. Ask when you call them. I am not as familiar with Miami. Any hotel where you have to cross water to get to the mainland will be a pain no matter how nice it is.

Fort Lauderdale and Miami are not that far from each other. As long as you avoid rush hour it will take you half an hour to get from one to the other.

Quote:
I am familiar with Fort Lauderdale. I can make recommendations if you can give me price ranges. I don't know what you consider expensive. Fort Lauderdale tends to be expensive for dining.

Quote:
Weather: What type of clothing should we pack for Feb 20 - 27? I'm thinking it might be in the 70's..? So maybe some shorts and pants? Long sleeve/short sleeve? Jackets? Possibility of rain? ?
We wear long pants in Feb, but it is usually warm enough for shorts during the day. It can get cool that time of year, but not usually cold. I would have a few pair of pants and a sweatshirt or light sweater. February is the dry season. It can rain anytime of the year, but the probability of extended rain is low that time of year.

Have fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida