Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would be best for our relocation?
Boca Raton 10 47.62%
Weston 4 19.05%
Parkland 7 33.33%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 12:10 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroEconomist View Post
"Even though Parkland and Weston are safe, upscale suburban communities, both cities, especially Weston, are very far inland relative to the desirable areas of Boca."

Because of course, all of South Florida and Broward County revolves around the geriatric community of Boca Raton. And of course, being near the beach is the ONLY reason anybody would live in South Florida, God forbid.

Many times during the day, while I work, I like to take 4-5 hours and hang out at the beach. Every Saturday and Sunday, I forgo my children's piano, tennis practices and play dates in order to be at the beach. Golf, hanging out at the country club, all irrelevant. Must-be-on-beach 24/7. And of course, it never rains.

And those Hispanics (aka "Mexicans") in Broward county. Totally low class. Can't speak a lick of English and only like to hang out with their own kind.

Who?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2015, 05:32 PM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
I lived in Boca Raton for years, and I still own a condo in the Sandalfoot Cove area.

Given it's coastal location and the fact it's a principal city of the West Palm Beach-Boca Raton-Boynton Beach metropolitan area (AKA Palm Beach County), I would recommend Boca over both Parkland and Weston. Simply stated, the weather, amenities and lifestyle offered by Boca are largely unparalleled in the western suburbs.

Even though Parkland and Weston are safe, upscale suburban communities, both cities, especially Weston, are very far inland relative to the desirable areas of Boca. IMO, there's really no reason to move to South Florida if you're not going to live on or near the beach, as the positive attributes of the region quickly diminish within five or so miles from the coast.

Since the culture of South Florida largely revolves around the beach and saltwater recreational opportunities, there's not much going on in the far-flung western suburbs. Furthermore, the weather is more oppressive and the pests, more bothersome in communities like Parkland and Weston that are farther from the coast and/or abut the Everglades.

Parkland in particular is very nice, one of my favorite cities in South Florida, but it's very residential relative to neighboring Boca and Coral Springs. It's one of the few cities in the concrete jungle of South Florida that I would describe as "off the beaten path," complete with horse farms, woodsy areas and, in some areas, fewer tract home developments, although things may have changed over the past 7-8 years since I last lived in Boca. This can be interpreted as either positive or negative, depending on your priorities, but Parkland is certainly, by no means, a regional center of employment, culture or lifestyle like Boca.

Regarding Weston--if you're non-Hispanic, I would avoid Weston, which is a majority Hispanic community, despite the fact Weston is one of the most upscale suburban communities in, perhaps, the entire southeastern US. Unfortunately, there's lots of exclusivity among Hispanics in South Florida. In Boca and Parkland, there's lots of Jewish people, but IME, Jewish people in South Florida tend to be less exclusive than Hispanic people. YMMV.

Boca, FTW.

You do realize that Sandalfoot isn't in the city of Boca Raton and it is just about as far west as Parkland? You also mention Hispanics and Jews in other locations but fail to mention they exist in significant numbers in Boca also? Why exclude communities for that but not mention it when it comes to Boca?

Old 06-28-2015, 05:38 PM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandeco View Post
WHy move to Florida and be so far from the beach?

Because plenty of people could care less about the beach, go infrequently enough that being 30 minutes away isn't a concern!

I lived in East Boca 1.3 miles from the sand....easy bike ride. I don't think I went to the beach once in the 5 years I lived in that house. I lived 12 years in another house nearby, maybe 2.5 miles away from the beach, maybe went 10-15 times.

Once you live there, the beach isn't really that special anymore! How many people live on the golf course and never play golf? Live on the water but don't have a boat or fish?

Old 06-29-2015, 10:32 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,632,049 times
Quote:
And of course, being near the beach is the ONLY reason anybody would live in South Florida, God forbid.
Well, the ocean and climate are the main attractions. It sure ain't the mountains.

Quote:
Many times during the day, while I work, I like to take 4-5 hours and hang out at the beach. Every Saturday and Sunday, I forgo my children's piano, tennis practices and play dates in order to be at the beach. Golf, hanging out at the country club, all irrelevant. Must-be-on-beach 24/7. And of course, it never rains.
I had a job close to the beach and after 5 I would go there in the summer, every day of the week to run, walk, swim. I avoided the weekends mostly because of the crowds.

Quote:
And those Hispanics (aka "Mexicans") in Broward county. Totally low class. Can't speak a lick of English and only like to hang out with their own kind.
Well with that attitude, they sure as hell are not going to hang out with you

Sounds to me like you could live in any state/city in United States. Why agonize and live somewhere where you do not like it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida