U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 06:34 AM

3,505 posts, read 1,507,912 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,
I've been on a months-long search for a retirement place, looked in several states (online) and found what seems like a great and suprisingly CHEAP (28K) condo with NO HOA fees (wth?) in CARRABELLE. A very basic, minimalist unit, no amenities (but just a few blocks from the beach!)

I lived in SoFla from 1979-2001 and I'd never heard of Carrabelle.
I've been looking it up online, but I like to turn to citydata to ask folks who either live there or have firsthand experience, how it really is.

I have a flight booked for the 25-27 to viiew the unit/investigate the town. I'm really hopeful as this place sounds great, the lack of HOA fees has me shaking my head though. Could it be possible I could live near a beach for 28K and $200 per annum taxes? (I verifed this).

Anyone know anything I could benefit from knowing?

I'm going to post this is Tallahassee forum too.

Thanks so much!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 11:06 AM
TD*

1,628 posts, read 3,594,968 times
Carabelle is a very small town, located about an hour an hour south of Tallahassee in Rural Franklin County. This portion of florida is largely undeveloped and unspoiled. The town is surrounded by national forest, and does not offer some of the conveniences or luxuries that you may be accustomed to.

It is not a bad place to live, but just be advised that you will need to do most of your shopping and business transactions in Tallahassee.

Old 06-17-2015, 02:07 PM

I see it's not near anything, 50mi or so from the airport in Tallahassee.
They have a grocery store, but that seems to be it.
Sounds fabulous besides that part, but I'm not a shopper so wouldn't bother me. The grocery store is about the only place I'd need to have nearby.

I never expected to get a place near a beach in my price range so am kinda excited but skeptical.
Can't wait to see it in person next week!

Old 06-18-2015, 07:48 AM

299 posts, read 323,786 times
Carrabelle is nice, it is also very very rural!! I would live there!

Old 06-18-2015, 07:57 AM

299 posts, read 323,786 times
Also... You may have to evacuate during storms as well

Old 06-18-2015, 08:05 AM

I lived in Palm Beach from 1979-2001 so yeah I know all about the storm aspect of it.
I was 10min from the water then, I remember the hurricane (Andrew I think?) that all of us near the coast were so worried about then we got minimal damage and Homestead and West Miami were destroyed, Davie and places you'd never think would be affected. Weird.

I see it's 50+ mi from a city, kind of self-contained and isolated. Sounds fabulous to me.

Old 06-19-2015, 07:13 PM

16,380 posts, read 20,350,477 times
It's nice, but very rural. But OMG - that entire area has the best, most inexpensive oysters.

There are lots of people in that area that make their living harvesting oysters. It's one of the main industries there.

Head to the next down west which is Eastpoint. There is a small hole-in-the-wall looking building right on the main drag/on the water. They sell oysers - and lots of them. You can go in there and there are a few seats and you can eat there.

Also keep heading west and go over the bridge to Apalachicola. There are several places for seafoot/osyters there as well. It's more of a small oyster fishing tourist town. Totally worth a visit. Up The Creek is a restaurant worth visiting.

Also there is wonderful white sand beach on the island that is seaward of Eastpoint. St George Island. It's wonderful. You will be hooked once you see these places.

I love that area.

Farther west is Port St Joe which is a neat/small town. There is an awesome restaurant there - on the bay - called Sunset Coastal Grill. This place is top notch. I had one of the best deserts of my life there. There is also a Cape San Blas near there. More white sand beaches.

Old 06-20-2015, 07:45 AM

That sounds awesome. I'm going to Eastpoint anyhow when there to volunteer at the animal shelter so I will check out that oyster place for sure. I'm guessing it's way cheaper than what one is used to paying in a restaurant anywhere else? And fresh. Wow. I am not going to want to leave this place after visiting to see the condo

Old 06-20-2015, 08:07 AM

16,380 posts, read 20,350,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverItAll View Post
That sounds awesome. I'm going to Eastpoint anyhow when there to volunteer at the animal shelter so I will check out that oyster place for sure. I'm guessing it's way cheaper than what one is used to paying in a restaurant anywhere else? And fresh. Wow. I am not going to want to leave this place after visiting to see the condo
The oysters are huge and fresh. I was there a few months ago and the prices for 1 dozen oysters, raw/shucked at the restaurants ranges from $8.99-$9.99-$10.99. Massive oysters. Prices vary by restaurant and also prices change often based on supply. They were cheaper the prior year. There are some supply issues right now so the prices are a bit higher than before. But still way cheaper than restaurants that aren't in that region. I am in SW FL and raw shucked oysters are $13+/dozen at restaurants here, but the size is much much smaller than what you get in the Apalachicola/Eastpoint area.

Even the local hamburger place sells shucked Oysters in Eastpoint. The local radio station is called Oyster Radio. There is a LOT of forest all around and black bears as well.

Also get some Tupelo Honey when there. The area is known for it.

Very nice hard working people live there.

There is a Dollar General in Eastpoint and it gets lots of shoppers because there isn't much shopping around the area. There is a Winn Dixie in Apalachicola.

Get a good map. The Apalachicola chamber of commerce (or visitors center - whatever it's called) has maps and brochures for all the area stuff.

Here is a news article about the oyster industry

http://www.tampabay.com/news/humanin...conomy/2224223

Here is the link to Lynn's Quality Oysters in Eastpoint. This is the place on the highway that I mentioned in the above post. They have excellent oysters and homemade smoked fish dip that is great. Lots of locals buy the oysters unshucked whole bag, half bag and other sizes. Cheaper this way but you have to shuck them.
http://www.lynnsqualityoysters.com/Products.aspx

Last edited by sware2cod; 06-20-2015 at 08:26 AM..

Old 06-20-2015, 09:01 AM

This is really starting to sound more and more like "Willoughby" from Twilight Zone: an idyllic place that doesn't exist.
This may sound dumb: is there a gas station? Surely one needn't go to TH for gas?

Groceries and gas are really all I need. I plan to spend my time at the beach and the animal shelter volunteering. That's been my retirement dream but never thought I'd afford the beach part in my price range.
I lived 10min from the water in Palm Beach for years so these prices are unreal for coastal living.
I'm kinda amazed developers haven't come in and I really hope they don't!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida