Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 06:51 PM

14,801 posts, read 11,948,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
Word of advice to the OP: never tell anyone in Florida that you are from New York.
Most often you don't have to tell them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 08:28 PM

3,233 posts, read 2,073,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
I think South FL (Dade Co especially) has a lot to do with it. I know South FL led the nation a yr ago (still does probably) in almost every major fraud category there is. Why do you think that is? Do you think ppl involved in fraud are attracted to FL?
It's truly a confluence of circumstances that make Florida such a ripe target for various illicit activity.

For one, the wealthy tend to profit from the prolific amount of fraudulent activity throughout the state, and many of these folks are in leadership positions within communities, business, and government at varying levels. The "cut" that goes to the folks in the lower financial echelons who engage in certain types of fraud is essentially a cost of doing business and little else, so the behavior is largely (albeit indirectly) encouraged.

Secondly, we live in a state where 1-in-200 residents are lawyers and where litigation is advertised to the extent that it almost seems to be a recreational activity -- and indeed it is treated as such. Seedy people from all walks of life and educational backgrounds are drawn to the state which, for varying reasons, makes it easy to commit fraud (and it's sunny and subtropical to boot).

Medical professionals throughout Florida are notorious for it. Folks creating or staging auto accidents is commonplace. Shell churches and charities are numerous. In smaller towns, often with higher concentrations of natives, local elitist wannabes reign supreme and are often free to act with a measured degree of impunity behind the scenes. Florida is also an attractive target by virtue of the fact that there exists an ample supply of retirees and those in general who are without commonsense, and such folks are inherently parted from their money and/or identity with relative ease.

There's also the psychological effect of living long-term in any environment. People adapt without even realizing it, and in time the things that would've 'stuck out' upon one's initial relocation progressively go either accepted or willfully unnoticed.

Etc., etc.

I still enjoy living in Florida, but I think we could do a lot better. Unfortunately there are those who are so steadfast in their belief that the state is a utopia that they won't give a hoot until trouble comes knocking on their own door.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:53 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,826,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
It's truly a confluence of circumstances that make Florida such a ripe target for various illicit activity.

For one, the wealthy tend to profit from the prolific amount of fraudulent activity throughout the state, and many of these folks are in leadership positions within communities, business, and government at varying levels. The "cut" that goes to the folks in the lower financial echelons who engage in certain types of fraud is essentially a cost of doing business and little else, so the behavior is largely (albeit indirectly) encouraged.

Secondly, we live in a state where 1-in-200 residents are lawyers and where litigation is advertised to the extent that it almost seems to be a recreational activity -- and indeed it is treated as such. Seedy people from all walks of life and educational backgrounds are drawn to the state which, for varying reasons, makes it easy to commit fraud (and it's sunny and subtropical to boot).

Medical professionals throughout Florida are notorious for it. Folks creating or staging auto accidents is commonplace. Shell churches and charities are numerous. In smaller towns, often with higher concentrations of natives, local elitist wannabes reign supreme and are often free to act with a measured degree of impunity behind the scenes. Florida is also an attractive target by virtue of the fact that there exists an ample supply of retirees and those in general who are without commonsense, and such folks are inherently parted from their money and/or identity with relative ease.

There's also the psychological effect of living long-term in any environment. People adapt without even realizing it, and in time the things that would've 'stuck out' upon one's initial relocation progressively go either accepted or willfully unnoticed.

Etc., etc.

I still enjoy living in Florida, but I think we could do a lot better. Unfortunately there are those who are so steadfast in their belief that the state is a utopia that they won't give a hoot until trouble comes knocking on their own door.

I definitely feel like certain types of people seem to be more drawn to FL than places like the Carolina's and TN, for example. I cant quite put my finger on it, but its a different vibe and type of person moving here to FL (usually) as opposed to people looking at places like NC, TN, etc. I'm a FL native, and in some states, for example, if I'm lost and need directions, I could ask someone at a red light, and would feel pretty comfortable about doing so. Here, I don't. I cant quite put my finger on it though.

And I agree on your reasons regarding the fraud stuff too.

I still like FL, and wouldn't leave FL but for maybe only 1 or 2 places. And those places would be where I could transfer with my job, b/c I love my job and the company I work for. But other than those couple of places, I wouldn't leave FL. As much as I can find wrong with it, I still like it and it's my home state.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:06 PM

3,233 posts, read 2,073,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
I definitely feel like certain types of people seem to be more drawn to FL than places like the Carolina's and TN, for example. I cant quite put my finger on it, but its a different vibe and type of person moving here to FL (usually) as opposed to people looking at places like NC, TN, etc. I'm a FL native, and in some states, for example, if I'm lost and need directions, I could ask someone at a red light, and would feel pretty comfortable about doing so. Here, I don't. I cant quite put my finger on it though.

And I agree on your reasons regarding the fraud stuff too.

I still like FL, and wouldn't leave FL but for maybe only 1 or 2 places. And those places would be where I could transfer with my job, b/c I love my job and the company I work for. But other than those couple of places, I wouldn't leave FL. As much as I can find wrong with it, I still like it and it's my home state.
I agree with you as well... it does seem as though certain types are specifically drawn to the state. I'm sure we could come up with an impressive number of explanations and speculations, though it's almost as though there's a mysterious force at work sometimes, heh.

Still, as you said, I wouldn't move away but for a limited number of places, and I say that as a non-native of FL.

Old 06-23-2015, 06:07 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,090,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
That is a dream, but would never happen. When the FL legislature attempted to make a law declaring the left lane for passing, it was vetoed by Governor Jeb Bush, who stated that the law would punish people who were not exceeding the speed limit--those idiots in the left lane driving under the speed limit, inefficiently holding up entire lanes of cars, creating road rage and causing accidents. To me, it was one of the single most stupid things Bush did as governor. I think of him every time there is a line of 30 cars inching along I-95, in which I am stuck, as I watch people lose their tempers and recklessly try to get around the inconsiderate, stupid or distracted slower drivers who choose to cruise the passing lane for no discernible reason.

It was such a stupid decision showing a lack of common sense, that it would probably make me think twice about voting for him.

State: Bush vetoes road rage bill
Um, they brought it back...you must have missed it.

Left-lane slowpokes face fines under new Florida law | jacksonville.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida