Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2015, 01:10 PM

2 posts, read 2,781 times

Advertisements

I am a single mom of two (ages 3 and 6) and I cannot afford South Florida any longer. I am looking for a Brevard County elementary school that is known to have a great 504-accommodating or strong ESE inclusion program. My son will be entering first grade in the fall and is a challenge to have in the classroom: ADHD an IQ of 124, so bright but all over the place unfocused. We are working with the best doctors, but in reality this is a long road and he will still be a challenge in the fall. He is on grade level academically but needs stimulating learning environment & well-trained teachers. Hoping/praying to find a school for him, then I will look for homes nearby. Seems every area of Brevard is less $ than down here; I will move into any school zone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 10:21 AM

264 posts, read 229,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixedmoms View Post
I am a single mom of two (ages 3 and 6) and I cannot afford South Florida any longer. I am looking for a Brevard County elementary school that is known to have a great 504-accommodating or strong ESE inclusion program. My son will be entering first grade in the fall and is a challenge to have in the classroom: ADHD an IQ of 124, so bright but all over the place unfocused. We are working with the best doctors, but in reality this is a long road and he will still be a challenge in the fall. He is on grade level academically but needs stimulating learning environment & well-trained teachers. Hoping/praying to find a school for him, then I will look for homes nearby. Seems every area of Brevard is less $ than down here; I will move into any school zone.
I have 2 sons, aged 11 and 12 that are both ADHD. My 11 yo has a high IQ as well. We are moving to Brevard in the next year or two and this question interests me as well, though more on the middle school level obviously. One child has an IEP and the other a 504. Both of my kids take medication while in school and have made tremendous progress due to that and some great teachers. Would love to know which area has the best middle/high school (that is not private) for a kid with ADHD.

Old 06-24-2015, 05:40 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixedmoms View Post
Tropical Elementary in Merritt Island is one of the best schools in the county and comes up often on some ESE searches. All Brevard County schools have their own ESE programs so would advise it's best to look at the schools with the best overall ratings, to help insure carryover into the ESE programs as well.

http://www.edline.net/pages/Tropical_Elementary_School

Old 06-24-2015, 05:59 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpotterfan77 View Post
I have 2 sons, aged 11 and 12 that are both ADHD. My 11 yo has a high IQ as well. We are moving to Brevard in the next year or two and this question interests me as well, though more on the middle school level obviously. One child has an IEP and the other a 504. Both of my kids take medication while in school and have made tremendous progress due to that and some great teachers. Would love to know which area has the best middle/high school (that is not private) for a kid with ADHD.
I would point you in the same direction as the other post, and look for the best schools out there. Bear in mind some of the higher-rated options are more difficult to get into and not "open admission", rather magnet or selective entry schools. You might check out Satellite Beach and Delaura Middle School, which feeds to Satellite Beach HS and has a long tradition as a top-quality "A"-rated high school, impressively minus magnet programs. It's also open to anyone residing in the zone map unlike some of the other top-rated schools where you're not guaranteed admission, even if you live within the school zone.

Browser Not Supported

Browser Not Supported

**ugh, the links work...despite saying "browser not supported" ^^^^

Old 06-24-2015, 07:13 AM

264 posts, read 229,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I would point you in the same direction as the other post, and look for the best schools out there. Bear in mind some of the higher-rated options are more difficult to get into and not "open admission", rather magnet or selective entry schools. You might check out Satellite Beach and Delaura Middle School, which feeds to Satellite Beach HS and has a long tradition as a top-quality "A"-rated high school, impressively minus magnet programs. It's also open to anyone residing in the zone map unlike some of the other top-rated schools where you're not guaranteed admission, even if you live within the school zone.

Browser Not Supported

Browser Not Supported

**ugh, the links work...despite saying "browser not supported" ^^^^
Thank you Kyle for the info. I will definitely check it out. And thank you for not judging either. You'd be amazed at the responses you get when you mention that your kids have ADHD and are on...gasp...medication. A lot of people don't get it. Thanks for that!

Old 06-26-2015, 09:27 PM

2 posts, read 2,781 times
Thank you all!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida