Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2006, 04:03 PM

8 posts, read 42,306 times

Advertisements

I read that I should visit Moore Haven -laid back community, relaxed lifestyle, queit. Anyone knows anything at all about this place? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2006, 07:57 PM

39 posts, read 273,435 times
Moore Haven is a very small town of about 1500 people. Not much to do there. It is located on the South West side of Lake Okeechobee, I've been through there a few times but honestly I didn't see anything that would make me want to live there. I would check out Lafayette, Taylor, Gilchrist or Dixie Counties.

Old 11-12-2006, 10:44 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
The biggest thing in Moore Haven is Glades Electric and the Goodwill store. It's a pretty non-descript town but has many friendly real Floridians. Not sure what you are used to but there's NOTHING to do there, I lived in Clewiston for a short while and loved the area, but idiots from Ft Lauderdale and Miami have driven up real estate prices by 10X since I bought land around there in 1993. This area is not going to develop like the coasts and if values drop I am going to move there. Otherwise I will sell my land investments and pull out of Florida. Glades county has a chamber of commerce. http://www.gladesonline.com/ (broken link) and you can get a better idea of the good points of the area. Be aware, jobs are scarce and low paying, so keep it in mind if you decide to buy and move there. Still if you like the REAL Florida you can't beat it. It's 1000000 times better than hell holes like South Bay or Belle Glade.

Old 01-23-2007, 12:44 PM

1 posts, read 4,886 times
Besides being quiet it has temperatures between 70 and 80 most of Jan. and Feb. it's nice to see everyone in shorts and sandles in the winter. The most popular activity is fishing. There are walkways for walking along the river. small docks for fishing, play ground for children and a tennis court for all. It's the county seat with a beautiful court house. But the best thing is it's quiet country living.

Old 01-23-2007, 03:26 PM

200 posts, read 877,953 times
It is old Florida. Great place if you like fishing. People are still nice there. I think if I were a retiree and loved to fish I would find a place there.

Old 01-23-2007, 05:27 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,503,957 times
FPL is planning to build a huge coal-fired power plant in Glades County near Moore Haven. While other counties have rejected FPL's plans for this plant (most recently St. Lucie County), Glades desperately needs the income and is apparently willing to compromise their environment to get it. There are still some approvals needed, so it is not a done deal, but Glades has fully approved it.

There is a pretty riverfront park where the Caloosahatchie River joins Lake Okeechobee, and there is a decent BBQ restaurant on the western fringe of the town, but other than that, the descriptions are pretty accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida