Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 11:50 AM

23,587 posts, read 70,350,712 times

Advertisements

"I just have one question for you. Did you ask these offenders where they were from? "

"If you hadn't told me, I wouldn't have known that every person who does some of the things that you list have to be from NY. There are no people like that from other places. You had a pretty good post until you tried to lay all the ills that you perceive in Florida at the feet of NYers."

Watsont3, I work hard to avoid stereotyping, and I'm certainly not suggesting that ALL New Yorkers act in the offensive manner I describe. I also know that there are people from other places that can be offensive.

However, I lived in Brooklyn for a year during college, had friends upstate, and visited "The City" regularly for Broadway shows when I was younger. I know the characteristics of New Yorkers. I can spot accents and place locations far better than most people, and on occasion have totally flumoxed folks by accurately guessing exactly where they grew up.

I'll flat out state that the rudest New Yorkers I have ever seen are those who have come to south Florida to retire or as snowbirds. I suggest you read the following:

<http://news.findlaw.com/court_tv/s/20040123/23jan2004212004.html>

I do business with that theatre, and happened to arrive over there just after the ambulance and police had left. The staff was in shock, and the manager was stunned. I wish I could say that it was unusual, but in prior years I had seen numerous hot tempered (non-physical) altercations there, seen the customers reduce the staff to tears with crude remarks, and watched as the managers, who were my friends and New Yorkers themselves, went from being charitable with customers to having an attitude of "throw the troublemakers out and let 'em stew." It was only after the word got around the condo communities that one senior had killed another and was sent to jail, that the level of verbal sparring started to go down slightly.

I might mention that I have also supervised theatres in Miami, Homestead, Boca Raton, Winter Park, and the Panhandle, with mixed audiences of african americans, haitians, cubans, nicaraguans, mexicans, anglos, florida crackers, etc., plus been supervisor to theatres in Alabama, North Carolina, Georgia, Arkansas, and Vermont, so I have a fairly wide experience in seeing how the public behaves in different areas and ethnic groups.

Perhaps that helps answer why I single out this group of ill-mannered, ill-tempered, overbearing and obnoxiously rude New Yorkers, to the exception of all others, for public exposure as a problem in Florida. One of the best things I can say about them is that in the past ten years some of the worst offenders have died off (I suspect from the ill effects of repeated fits of apoplexy). I invite you to visit west Broward, Bay Harbor, Hollywood, or Boca and sit quietly in a store, theatre, or restaurant and observe for yourself before coming to their rescue, thinking of them as a maligned group deserving sympathy.

Old 03-20-2007, 12:54 PM

2 posts, read 7,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp19777 View Post
alot of people from this forum r so negative about florida? i wanna move to central florida with my mom and everyone here is making it seem like the worst decision i coule ever make? im really frightened for real. i feel like if i move to florida(central, sanford) im setting my self up for misery, unhappiness and failure. is florida really that horrible and is the pay and jobs really as horific as everyone make it seem? is florida a place for a person in there mid 20's or is it a place for retirees? talk to me!everyone just makes it seem like its wonderfull for retirees but not good for young people trieng to make it
i currently live in orlando (central as well..about an hour from sanford) I am 23 single and female...and I love it here!

yeah jobs dont pay so well...in general but i got lucky and so can you!...plus hey...no state tax! gotta love that!

there is alooooot to do here and its a very freindly place and people....

if you like water sports, bars and sunshine....come down here...im sure u will like it too!...

although sanford....id recommend living in orlando instead...

Old 03-20-2007, 02:39 PM

177 posts, read 684,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
"I just have one question for you. Did you ask these offenders where they were from? "

"If you hadn't told me, I wouldn't have known that every person who does some of the things that you list have to be from NY. There are no people like that from other places. You had a pretty good post until you tried to lay all the ills that you perceive in Florida at the feet of NYers."

Watsont3, I work hard to avoid stereotyping, and I'm certainly not suggesting that ALL New Yorkers act in the offensive manner I describe. I also know that there are people from other places that can be offensive.

However, I lived in Brooklyn for a year during college, had friends upstate, and visited "The City" regularly for Broadway shows when I was younger. I know the characteristics of New Yorkers. I can spot accents and place locations far better than most people, and on occasion have totally flumoxed folks by accurately guessing exactly where they grew up.

I'll flat out state that the rudest New Yorkers I have ever seen are those who have come to south Florida to retire or as snowbirds. I suggest you read the following:

<http://news.findlaw.com/court_tv/s/20040123/23jan2004212004.html>

I do business with that theatre, and happened to arrive over there just after the ambulance and police had left. The staff was in shock, and the manager was stunned. I wish I could say that it was unusual, but in prior years I had seen numerous hot tempered (non-physical) altercations there, seen the customers reduce the staff to tears with crude remarks, and watched as the managers, who were my friends and New Yorkers themselves, went from being charitable with customers to having an attitude of "throw the troublemakers out and let 'em stew." It was only after the word got around the condo communities that one senior had killed another and was sent to jail, that the level of verbal sparring started to go down slightly.

I might mention that I have also supervised theatres in Miami, Homestead, Boca Raton, Winter Park, and the Panhandle, with mixed audiences of african americans, haitians, cubans, nicaraguans, mexicans, anglos, florida crackers, etc., plus been supervisor to theatres in Alabama, North Carolina, Georgia, Arkansas, and Vermont, so I have a fairly wide experience in seeing how the public behaves in different areas and ethnic groups.

Perhaps that helps answer why I single out this group of ill-mannered, ill-tempered, overbearing and obnoxiously rude New Yorkers, to the exception of all others, for public exposure as a problem in Florida. One of the best things I can say about them is that in the past ten years some of the worst offenders have died off (I suspect from the ill effects of repeated fits of apoplexy). I invite you to visit west Broward, Bay Harbor, Hollywood, or Boca and sit quietly in a store, theatre, or restaurant and observe for yourself before coming to their rescue, thinking of them as a maligned group deserving sympathy.
For someone who tries to work hard to avoid stereotyping, you haven't succeeded very well.
You lived in Brooklyn for a year and went to some shows in the city and you now know that New Yorkers are rude and unpleasant. You have made a the mistake that many people made. You forgot that NYC is only one part of New York State. Yes a lot of New York City reseidents have an attitude, I guess it's how they survive in the city.
There are nice people on Long Island, in the Catskills, Finger Lakes region, Adirondacks. Some of these people have retired to Florida and treat people the way that they would want to be treated themselves.
Your link cannot be acccessed by us regular people. I am not trying to rescue the arrogant and rude people that we all know exist, actually from everywhere. I was born in Brooklyn and lived on Long Island until I retired and moved to Lancaster, Pa. I know a lot more New Yorkers than you apparently do and I have to say that the great majority of them are nice and polite people who feel the same way that you do about the rude ones. Just try smiling a them once in a while and you will see that the great majority are just like everyone else, instead of looking down your nose at these barbarians.

Old 03-20-2007, 08:54 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,898,743 times
I think the problem is there are just some unhappy people who would rather spread misery than do something about it

To all of those people- If you don't like Florida, please MOVE....it's supposed to be the happiest place on earth d*mn it !!!!

I love Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by watsont3 View Post
Im just have one question for you. Did you ask these offenders where they were from? I live in Pennsylvania now and I have seen many Pennsylvanians speed by me at high rates of speed on their rice rocket motorcycles, mostly in the daytime. Try almost any metropolitan area at rush hour and you will find aggressive drivers changing lanes unsafely. These little old ladies stealing sweeteners told you that they were from NY?
Maybe there was an obvious NY accent while the sweetener stealers were chatting?

And you are right, the crazy motorcyclists could have been from Miami

Old 03-20-2007, 09:30 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,738,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadreamer View Post
I think the problem is there are just some unhappy people who would rather spread misery than do something about it

To all of those people- If you don't like Florida, please MOVE....it's supposed to be the happiest place on earth d*mn it !!!!

I love Florida
It's sad that I can't even get enough people to assemble for a property tax protest. There's only so much fuss one person could make. How about the snowbirds, why don't they join in to fix the system? HELLO any lawyers out there who want to make a difference?

Old 03-20-2007, 09:41 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,350,712 times
LOL. Watsont3, you seem to have mistaken me for someone who wishes to argue or debate. I merely relate my personal experiences. Please reread my posts to find that I think there are some real positives to living in south Florida, and that I don't paint all New Yorkers with the same brush, only a particular group of retirees and snowbirds that are incredibly rude, and even violent. If you wish to stereotype all New Yorkers to that standard, that is your issue, not mine.

FWIW, The link I provided is very accessible to anyone who is willing to spend the time putting it into the address bar of their browser.

Old 03-20-2007, 11:58 PM

69 posts, read 394,028 times
Harry chickpea, I had no problems accessing that website. What a sad story though. I remember I was at McDonalds in Titusville one morning and a bus load of senior citizens came in and they were giving the young cashiers such a hard time, yelling at them, pushing others who were all ready waiting out of the way. I'm not trying to start anything, but the bus had New York plates. They were visitors, not residents. Most New Yorkers are great people, but that just kind of stood out in my mind and I still remember it after all these years.

Old 03-21-2007, 12:07 AM

48 posts, read 262,608 times
Hey Jayp

Dont be scared of being down here. Im 21 and lived here alll my life down in Orlando. Its not like hell of earth down here or anything the way on these posts make it seem like. If you move down, here you will be fine. Just do your homework on whats a good place to live and especially make a visit to check your place to live and your future job.

People say Orlando has high crime and to some extent it does, and it has rose to some extent but SOME people on this site make it seem like it is anarchy down here in the streets of Orlando all day everyday. Believe me its not. There are some bad areas but many good areas. You just have to do your homework on what its like down here.

However, living down here is not like being on your Walt Disney World vacation down here. You will find its different when you get into your lifestyle routine everyday driving to and from work, your everyday errands, etc. I love it down here.

Yes Orlando has changed a lot as far as population. I-4 is a parking lot in the morning and the suburbs are exploding with people but thats because we have so much to offer down here. Its a growing city that cannot keep up with the sprawl and thats ok. We will get it under control.

If your worried about area down here, which many people are, do some research on what are good places and what are so called bad places. I hate it when people post on here, "Where should I move to?" Thats a very open ended question when talking about central Florida. lol.

You will be fine. You and your mother will love it down here when you get settled in. Just make a couple visits or so to check things out to do your homework.

Old 03-21-2007, 07:18 AM

177 posts, read 684,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
LOL. Watsont3, you seem to have mistaken me for someone who wishes to argue or debate. I merely relate my personal experiences. Please reread my posts to find that I think there are some real positives to living in south Florida, and that I don't paint all New Yorkers with the same brush, only a particular group of retirees and snowbirds that are incredibly rude, and even violent. If you wish to stereotype all New Yorkers to that standard, that is your issue, not mine.

FWIW, The link I provided is very accessible to anyone who is willing to spend the time putting it into the address bar of their browser.
When I cut and pasted the link in yesterday, it wouldn't let me in. Today, it did. Even us exNYers know how to cut and paste.
I will agree that there are some NYers who can act as you said but I have found that NY does not have a monopoly on that kind of behavior.
I must take issue with your claim that I "stereotype" all New Yorkers. Unless you believe that believing that most NYers are as friendly and polite as anyone else is stereotyping, then I plead guilty.

Old 03-23-2007, 04:38 PM

489 posts, read 2,014,469 times
This is a huge thread. I have not been able to read all of it so bear with me while I put my two cents in (hope it isn't redundant).

Too many out-of-state people looking to move to Florida all make the same mistake: They inquire or talk like ALL of Florida is the same. Florida is no different from any other state, and each city and area is just as different as your home state's cities and areas. Based on my own personal experiences - and that of others I meet - the bad areas are REALLY BAD. The good news is: NOT ALL OF FLORIDA IS THAT WAY. If you stay out of South Florida (Gulf and Atlantic sides), and you look in West Central or North FL, you will be fine as far as quality of life. I speak out of personal experience. I moved from up north to St. Petersburg, and it was everything I hoped for and more. I then moved down to Ft. Myers - thinking it would be the same as St. Petersburg - and I got the shock of my life. Needless to say, I'm moving back to Tampa Bay. I wish the original poster of this thread luck in making a decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida