Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 08:26 AM

897 posts, read 1,254,205 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

Just wondering - we currently own a home in Denver and have recently been itching to get back to the beach (we lived in Israel for 16 years, and NYC for 13)... Our plan involves renting out our home here in Denver (it's a good market here, so that is no problem) and spend a year somewhere by the beach. Florida seems like it would be a great place from our visits but we don't know the area too well. This will be for one or two years.

Here's more info:
1. I work from home, for a NYC based tech company, so local job market is of no concern
2. My wife is currently a dental office manager, but we'd like to cut costs significantly and have a baby which she will spend the next couple of years raising
3. Must live next to great beaches (Ft. Lauderdale beaches will be just fine )
4. Must be decently safe
5. I make a good enough income, but want to cut costs since we are cutting one income.
6. Schools are no consideration since our kid will not be in school age for a long time and we aren't buying yet

Here's where it gets difficult:
1. I own two German Shepherds so housing will be difficult
2. I want to keep my rent under $1500 a month and ideally for a house with a yard (basically impossible in Denver, but CO is a big state, and so is FL)

Some things I can give up on:
1. Living in a city, I have no problem living outside somewhere since I work from home and my wife will be at home
2. Things that are "happening" - we have no interest in nightlife, or partying, and can take a drive out to the closest city to get to a good restaurant.

This is mostly for exploring FL and eventually buy a home out there, so there's a lot I can give up but my "Here's where it gets difficult" list and living reasonably close to a beach are all musts, or FL will not be a possibility for us.

Thanks!

Last edited by ayoitzrimz; 07-29-2015 at 08:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 08:45 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,436,467 times
$1500 near a beach? Not.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:48 AM

135 posts, read 138,985 times
You're going to be renting a dump for that price that is close to "good beaches"

Or it'll be a shoebox

Or both

Old 07-29-2015, 09:05 AM

So inland then, within an hour to a beach. Still no good?

Old 07-29-2015, 09:09 AM

3,979 posts, read 8,188,333 times
You can find homes for $1500 NEAR a beach in most of Florida. ON the beach is a different story. Check out Brevard, Indian River, Volusia, and Flagler counties. Your house may not be beach side but on the mainland . Usually a lot of descent area 15-20 minutes from a beach.
Renting a house with 2 dogs may be a problem in some HOA communities, but they can be found in other areas with big fenced back yards.

Brevard County is a good location to start from. It is close to Orlando. 3 hours to Tampa, Miami, or Jacksonville areas max so you have lots of close activities. If you surf it is the best surf in Florida. Of course waves are not as big as some in California but the ocean is warm. Downtown Melbourne is becoming the club scene for the area and there are some non-chain restaurants that are pretty good. Definitely not big city living.....more down home friendly.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
You can find homes for $1500 NEAR a beach in most of Florida. ON the beach is a different story. Check out Brevard, Indian River, Volusia, and Flagler counties. Your house may not be beach side but on the mainland . Usually a lot of descent area 15-20 minutes from a beach.
Renting a house with 2 dogs may be a problem in some HOA communities, but they can be found in other areas with big fenced back yards.

Brevard County is a good location to start from. It is close to Orlando. 3 hours to Tampa, Miami, or Jacksonville areas max so you have lots of close activities. If you surf it is the best surf in Florida. Of course waves are not as big as some in California but the ocean is warm. Downtown Melbourne is becoming the club scene for the area and there are some non-chain restaurants that are pretty good. Definitely not big city living.....more down home friendly.
Exactly what I wanted! For us, we don't have to live ON the beach, and maybe I should have been more clear. Since I'll work from home and my wife will be a stay at home mom we don't mind driving an hour or more to get to a beach. Appreciate the info! I'll start my research in those towns/cities

Old 07-29-2015, 10:29 AM

17,279 posts, read 15,467,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoitzrimz View Post
Exactly what I wanted! For us, we don't have to live ON the beach, and maybe I should have been more clear. Since I'll work from home and my wife will be a stay at home mom we don't mind driving an hour or more to get to a beach. Appreciate the info! I'll start my research in those towns/cities
I also recommend Brevard County.
You can find what you're looking for in and around Melbourne.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:21 PM

17,550 posts, read 39,186,507 times
Sorry to say, the two German Shepherds will probably be a deal breaker. I wish you luck.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Sorry to say, the two German Shepherds will probably be a deal breaker. I wish you luck.
I figured as much, it is what it is - that's why we own in Denver. But money talks - while I don't want to SPEND a lot of money on rent I can certainly put down a big enough deposit (which I had to do in the past) to appease a private landlord. And if it doesn't work out it doesn't work out. We are still young (30) and have time to live in Florida. We probably won't own 2 large dogs forever, so we can always revisit this idea later on as long as I am still working from home. What I won't do is give them away, I'd rather just stay put.

Old 07-29-2015, 05:35 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,971,549 times
$1500 wouldn't get you an apt near a beach in Naples thats for sure.. More like $2000 +
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida