Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 05:17 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,217,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchez8 View Post
Not sure what the end game is here. Everyone wants to move here because its "cheaper" and the weather but the first thing they do when they get here is try to make this place like somewhere they came from up north. In addition, the things that originally attracted people to retire here (the wildlife, the beaches, the open spaces, etc) are getting paved over by the minute. Whats the point if all you are going to do is make it like a northern city in a swamp?
Simply amazing....the TROLL Sanchez8 slams everyone from the north and then puts his head in the sand and goes on to another post to slam all New Yorker's....what a disgruntled little person he must be
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 07:25 AM

264 posts, read 229,646 times
I currently live in CT with my husband and 2 boys but am planning a move to Brevard county in about a year and a half. My reasoning for moving down there is as follows: First, I have family down there, a sister, niece and nephew that I haven't seen in years. Secondly, I am done with winter. I would much rather take the sweltering summer heat of FL than have to drive the slippery ice covered roads in winter anymore. FL offers must better gardening and the opportunity to grow fruit trees that I cannot grow up here. My job is something I can find in any state and the salary doesn't really change much from CT to FL. And lastly, the older I get, the more I want to be near the ocean. I do however have a realistic plan to get there and do not plan on coming down without a job, house, etc. I am not fooled into thinking that the move will dramatically change my life. I am just entering a new phase in my life and would like to enjoy that phase in a new setting.

Old 07-20-2015, 08:39 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,122,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I agree but unfortunately that would require a single progressive thought from our "leadership" in Tallahassee....so in essence, game over.
No, actually it would require a majority vote of the citizens of the state. I dont know anyone who would cast a vote for a state income tax in FL.

Old 07-20-2015, 08:53 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,827,261 times
This thread does not appear to be populated by folks who live in Florida and know what they are talking about, but, rather by people who are thinking about moving to Florida and have a 'parody' of Florida in mind.

We actually moved to Florida over 40-years ago and have never regretted it. Nor have we been steamrolled by concrete or the overwhelming flood of migrating New Yorker's imagined above.

Last edited by jghorton; 07-20-2015 at 09:18 AM..

Old 07-20-2015, 10:13 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,446,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Nor have we been steamrolled by concrete or the overwhelming flood of migrating New Yorker's imagined above.
The New Yorker's are all over South Florida.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:27 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,446,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchez8 View Post
Not sure what the end game is here. Everyone wants to move here because its "cheaper" and the weather but the first thing they do when they get here is try to make this place like somewhere they came from up north. In addition, the things that originally attracted people to retire here (the wildlife, the beaches, the open spaces, etc) are getting paved over by the minute. Whats the point if all you are going to do is make it like a northern city in a swamp?
Old folks who know they are going to Hell like to Move to Florida to get used to the heat

Old 07-20-2015, 10:32 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpotterfan77 View Post
I currently live in CT with my husband and 2 boys but am planning a move to Brevard county in about a year and a half. My reasoning for moving down there is as follows: First, I have family down there, a sister, niece and nephew that I haven't seen in years. Secondly, I am done with winter. I would much rather take the sweltering summer heat of FL than have to drive the slippery ice covered roads in winter anymore. FL offers must better gardening and the opportunity to grow fruit trees that I cannot grow up here. My job is something I can find in any state and the salary doesn't really change much from CT to FL. And lastly, the older I get, the more I want to be near the ocean. I do however have a realistic plan to get there and do not plan on coming down without a job, house, etc. I am not fooled into thinking that the move will dramatically change my life. I am just entering a new phase in my life and would like to enjoy that phase in a new setting.
Same here, but I am in Indiana. I am not making uber northern $$, so I wouldn't likely lose much if any income, and here in Indiana, the state + county income taxes can be quite punitive. Somewhere like Jacksonville would really reduce the tax burden, and I'd get a much more hospitable climate during the winter.

I'm from Tennessee, and I've heard Jacksonville is fairly Southern, so I'd like to get back to a Southern culture too.

Old 07-20-2015, 03:09 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,827,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpotterfan77 View Post

This!!! - With this type of mindset, one can happily move to Florida and enjoy everything the state has to offer. That's exactly what we did over 40-years ago ... and have never been disappointed. Beachside in Brevard is still one of the few places in the state that one can live on/near the beach, yet, not get buried in tourist traffic.

-- Take a look at Satellite Beach - It retains its small town feel, because there is no place else to build on this barrier island, -- yet, one is only minutes away from town and less than an hour away from Orlando.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:34 AM

264 posts, read 229,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
This!!! - With this type of mindset, one can happily move to Florida and enjoy everything the state has to offer. That's exactly what we did over 40-years ago ... and have never been disappointed. Beachside in Brevard is still one of the few places in the state that one can live on/near the beach, yet, not get buried in tourist traffic.

-- Take a look at Satellite Beach - It retains its small town feel, because there is no place else to build on this barrier island, -- yet, one is only minutes away from town and less than an hour away from Orlando.
Thank you! I will keep it in mind though I believe we will most likely end up in the Rockledge, Melbourne or Palm Bay area. Satellite Beach may prove to be a bit costly for us in the beginning as we plan to rent for at least a year to make sure we like the area though when it's time to buy, that may be more of an option for us. My boys are currently (as of September) in 6th and 7th grade so by the time we get down there at least one, if not both will be in high school so we won't be looking for some grandiose house to live in. A nice 3 bedroom will do just fine. The closer to the beach, the better.

Old 07-21-2015, 07:14 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,789,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty78 View Post
Really, what a great question, but you should expand "what is the end game for northerners moving to FL?" to why is everyone moving to Florida! After all, you failed to mention the Cuban's, the Haitian's, Mexican's, European's, Canadian's, etc.... how could you possibly forget all of the others.

As far as Florida "getting paved over by the minute" it is you, the long term Florida resident that elected the officials that have allowed all the paving to go on and on and on!! Perhaps your question would be better addressed to the elected officials that you voted in that make it so easy for all us northerner's to move down here?

To answer your question on my part, why did I a northerner move to Florida, is really a simple answer. We lived in NY and had decided before retiring that we wanted to move somewhere warmer, no snow and offered more for the money. Hence the choice was really simple. Plus, the invitations by all of the elected officials makes moving here so promising.

So Sanchez8, all I can say is thank you for voting in all those elected officials that allowed all the building to go on that permits us northerner's with some cash to come down and purchase a home in your lovely personally owned state. Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!!!!
This poster has some type of agenda against you guys. Its very common for some natives to have these random outbursts of posts saying how they don't like how Florida is changing which is code word for more moderate in politics instead of looking at some the positive contributions new growth brings to the economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida