Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2015, 03:15 PM

16,826 posts, read 14,977,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseo1 View Post
Tough never leaving a 40 mile radius huh?

Happens alot in Miami and Brevard County...
Nice try... I live 98 miles from Tampa, and I'd be willing to wager I'm more well-traveled than you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 03:23 PM

422 posts, read 408,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Nice try... I live 98 miles from Tampa...
Hahaha living in the sticks of Tampa, claiming to be "well traveled".

Please go.

Old 09-30-2015, 03:26 PM

16,826 posts, read 14,977,614 times
Quote:
Hahaha living in the sticks of Tampa, claiming to be "well traveled".

Please go.
I don't live in the sticks of Tampa (where did that even come from? I'm not even in the Tampa MSA). What the hell are you going on about?
And what does my place of residence have to do with being well-traveled?

Old 09-30-2015, 06:35 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,160,503 times
Quote:
Too bad we dont have huntin season for people in those gawdy orange license plates
Gotta agree with you on the gawdy orange plates. NJ isn't much better- washed out yellow.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:35 PM

296 posts, read 316,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
Consider it an upgrade. Now you have drylands.

Old 09-30-2015, 09:34 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,086,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
What is the end game for northerners moving to FL?

Given some of the lovely posts on this thread, I would answer we're all going to come down and take over your wonderful state.
Hasn't that happened already? Isn't that why all the vitriol towards us? Haven't transplants outnumbered native Floridians for years? Aren't a lot of "New native" Floridians come from these transplants??

What, these vitriolic "natives" want to still be on their rickety houseboat tied up in the swamps?

I hate Boar's Head! I hope some store has better deli meats for MY taste!

Old 09-30-2015, 11:04 PM

296 posts, read 316,548 times
Its funny to read how some of these supposed florida natives act as if its their state and their state only...nobody can move there, blah, blah, blah....I can't see it like that. IMO its a state, its a free country, (still I think), we are free to move about and do WTF we want without hearing a bunch of yacking and yammering from people.

I pay my taxes, served my country, retired military, and I will move wherever I want and I don't want to hear a bunch of cry babies pissing and moaning.

Thank you very much.

Old 10-01-2015, 12:19 AM

190 posts, read 178,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
We ended up in Florida because it was the first place willing to give one of us a job when we were trying to get out of Satan's Armpit, Tennessee- small town with lousy scenery, our house got broken into and trashed, and a whole heaping cupfull of Southern passive-aggressiveness and outright aggressiveness once they thought you weren't just passing through (I had people tell me to my face that my $7 an hour 'good job' there should have gone to a more deserving native instead.)
That happened to you in TN?! I know theres lowlifes everywhere but I thought so long as you weren't trying to ruin peoples way of life, nobody down there would treat someone that way.

Old 10-01-2015, 12:22 AM

190 posts, read 178,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Falcon View Post
I don't know, but I really wish all these Puerto Rican people didn't move to Orlando. Why can't they spread out to different places?
We had that problem in the Northeast also. Many of us did not like Puerto Ricans who moved there and the Dominican republicans also. They usually degraded the quality of life harder than our own trash was. But then again the state of MA often did draw in some of the most rugged immigrants that ended up living in ghettos. The ones who got out of that life though did not and I repeat did not want Dominicans in their neighborhoods or blacks.

Old 10-01-2015, 03:44 PM

75 posts, read 107,604 times
I used to think Florida natives were embellishing in their disdain for Northerners, but if you spend enough time in certain areas of Florida, you'll begin to understand their perspective and see that there is some truth to their argument.

Lots of surly working and lower-middle class people move to Florida from northern areas of the country with much higher housing costs, such as New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts, after selling an expensive property they may have purchased years ago or, perhaps, was left to them by their parents or other relatives.

When these people arrive in Florida, they purchase an equivalently priced or even slightly cheaper home that's bigger and newer and most often in a gated community, financed by the proceeds of the sale of their overpriced home up North and, perhaps, an insurance settlement or a cushy civil service pension.

Before long, these people start think they're rich, and in their minds, "rich" people are rude, even though most people with family and long-term wealth are quite down-to-earth.

What's more is, these people begin "looking down their noses" at service people, even they're now probably only making $5-10/hr more than the people they feel are beneath them due to the low salaries in Florida.

When I lived in Florida, I witnessed absolutely horrid behavior among transplants from up North, especially older [Jewish] ones, towards cashiers, servers and others in the service industry. Simply appalling.

Thing is, Florida natives have long been outnumbered by transplants, so they don't have that much clout, and rudeness and the general lack of civility and common courtesy have long been erased from the culture of the state.

However, if these transplants behaved similarly in other states like Georgia or Texas, they wouldn't get very far because the natives in those states would certainly put them in check. Like they say, "When in Rome, do as the Romans."

I never experienced that type of behavior in any of the states in which I've lived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida