Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 08:00 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times

Advertisements

We're in the unincorporated part of Okaloosa County and it's definitely mandatory permitting for a lot of stuff here. And according to the contractors we've talked to, they're tougher building inspectors than the cities here are. We've watched the inspectors go through their checklists when we were having our windows replaced, and they were very thorough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 09:29 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,225,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryinsham30 View Post
Live outside the city limits, no inspections/permits for most anything except new construction, yet somehow we all survive and have mortgages and insurance and the houses stand the same as anywhere else. However I would agree that having a licensed/bonded/insured contractor if your not a do it yourselfer is the only way to HELP not guarantee getting recompense if the job is poor/fails.
Counties require permits/inspections, too. Put an addition on your house without getting a permit and then call your insurance agent and see what he has to say about it.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:37 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,383,530 times
Who really cares. People do these things as professionals and deserves the licenses. Feds just do not want to do there job, because they hurt there own peoples.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:23 AM

228 posts, read 247,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
Counties require permits/inspections, too. Put an addition on your house without getting a permit and then call your insurance agent and see what he has to say about it.
Ok, done, twice, with electric and water to one. But I live in rural OK not back in Florida yet. Also built a 1600 Sq ft barn, put in a tornado shelter and added 460 sq ft to my chicken coop with electric and water. Some with contractors and some without. Neighbors helped redo my roof after tornado damage and mortgage company released funds after inspection so guess we do all right with a common sense approach.

Old 08-03-2015, 02:53 PM

Let me change my story a little, different states are different and florida is special in some ways, I need to change my "outside city limits" to "into rural/rural agriuculture or rural residential. It is more an issue of zoning than of relation to city limits/msa/csa's ertc.

Old 08-03-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryinsham30 View Post
Ok, done, twice, with electric and water to one. But I live in rural OK not back in Florida yet. Also built a 1600 Sq ft barn, put in a tornado shelter and added 460 sq ft to my chicken coop with electric and water. Some with contractors and some without. Neighbors helped redo my roof after tornado damage and mortgage company released funds after inspection so guess we do all right with a common sense approach.
Do what you want but don't expect your insurance company to pay a claim on non-inspected work. Maybe it's different in Oklahoma, idk.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Do what you want but don't expect your insurance company to pay a claim on non-inspected work. Maybe it's different in Oklahoma, idk.
The difference is in knowing/working with your agent and tax folks versus just getting a statement in the mail and chunking it in the drawer for "later filing". I do digress however, because I know when I move back into citidiot land I will have to abide by their rules. A permit/inspections used to serve to help keep neighborhoods safe from dangerous activity, now it just serves to fund the city/county etc. they charge you for a permit then inspection, then they all ready know improvements youve made come tax time.

Old 08-04-2015, 06:49 PM

"Citidiot land"...well, that's kinda mean.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:07 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,397,374 times
never let an unlicensed person in your home. and you need to do a background check too.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:19 PM

Quote:
"Citidiot land"...well, that's kinda mean.
its a term for the type of people that come to the country and try to make it like the city, like rules against keeping animals, or garden types or heck even the new rules against wood stoves. The type that moves to the country for a quiet yoga studio, then puts in a custom outdoor kitchen with tv and blairs music until 2am.

Something I will have to re-learn to tolerate(and accept that I will) once we move back to a neighborhood, but at least I learned there is more than one way to skin a cat, besides asking permission and getting a permit and then having someone inspect my work after.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida