Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 06:53 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times

Advertisements

I know it bothers a lot of people, but if the property values crash I will celebrate. Forgive me for how I feel, but seeing values drop would be an incredible experience I have yet to see. My parents home would lose value also, but since they have no insurance either they could lose everything. It would be nice to be here after the time that Florida was no longer the destination for the world to move to. Just leave some of us here with the bugs and gators.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2006, 06:57 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,155,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Reality is not negative thinking, it's just a Florida has a date with a big wind, we just don't know when. Why not prepare for it instead of building more of the ugly trash that accomodate the thousands who move here each year? A big hurricane will halt the development and I am sure that even the rich and famous will leave. There really isn't much here to care about anymore and as for the residents, they will evacuate to safety won't they? If this place was built correctly we would have nothing to worry about. Of course most of the vain people here would not want to live in a safe but "ugly" home.
I believe Need Affordable Home provided an answer worth 5 positives replies. Now let’s go to school. In the past four year we had a number of hurricanes that hit the state. Most regions were hit or affected in some form or shape.

Now the value of the houses that survive or escape the path of the hurricanes double on triple on the basic concept supply and demand or as is known by logisticians as basic 101.

So everybody that lost a home needs a home, so if they want your house, YOUR home, set the price and make a profit. Is easy to explain with plywood, we all know the pain.

We established the following:

Limited housing
Many families in need of shelter
Insurance delays
Lack of material
Lack of labor
Lack of utilities and BEER (sorry)

Now we need to develop the area again, lets say bring it back to the same condition or level. Before the hurricane lets say the cost per SQ Ft was $75.00, now the cost is $150.00 per SQ Ft (sounds familiar). This drives my house cost, taxes, insurance and the air (air is free) to paramount amounts.

Example I paid $100K in 1998 for my house 1820 SQ FT = $59.54 per SQ feet, after the hurricane the house was appraised @ $250K which = $137.00. If your statement of the inevitable happens the cost will be way over $150 per SQ FT, which I can't afford.

You got to be an intellectual your comment "A big hurricane will halt the development and I am sure that even the rich and famous will leave." Are the majority of Florida residents rich? Well I'm not and many members of this forum are not. The rich will say that is why I pay for insurance, we “can afford the insurance or cost of living".

tallrick, I understand that you are well positioned, so light your candles and wait for the CAT 5.

Last edited by sunrico90; 11-18-2006 at 07:46 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-18-2006, 07:05 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,904,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
If Florida gets the big one like Andrew in Miami, property values will crash, insurance will go up another 5 times. Everyone who owns in Florida will suffer, including my parents who will see their house drop 25-50% in value
This will wipe out equity for all of us
Shrubs and trees blown down; considerable damage to roofs of buildings; all signs down. Very severe and extensive damage to windows and doors. Complete failure of roofs on many residences and industrial buildings. Extensive shattering of glass in windows and doors. Some complete building failures. Small buildings overturned or blown away. Complete destruction of mobile homes. Major damage to lower floors of all structures less than 15 feet above sea level within 500 yards of shore. Low-lying escape routes inland cut by rising water 3 to 5 hours before hurricane center arrives. Massive evacuation of residential areas on low ground within 5 to 10 miles of shore possibly required. You have to see it to believe it.

Old 11-18-2006, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemed View Post
Shrubs and trees blown down; considerable damage to roofs of buildings; all signs down. Very severe and extensive damage to windows and doors. Complete failure of roofs on many residences and industrial buildings. Extensive shattering of glass in windows and doors. Some complete building failures. Small buildings overturned or blown away. Complete destruction of mobile homes. Major damage to lower floors of all structures less than 15 feet above sea level within 500 yards of shore. Low-lying escape routes inland cut by rising water 3 to 5 hours before hurricane center arrives. Massive evacuation of residential areas on low ground within 5 to 10 miles of shore possibly required.
firemed,

Will the bugs and gators stay for tallrick? Well said....

Old 11-18-2006, 07:24 PM

If we get a cat-5 it will be game over for Florida. escape routes are not there. the roads won't handle it. cat-5 up the center of the state if it's the size of andrew the winds would be from coast to coast with no way out. Game over. let's just hope not.

Old 11-18-2006, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemed View Post
If we get a cat-5 it will be game over for Florida. escape routes are not there. the roads won't handle it. cat-5 up the center of the state if it's the size of andrew the winds would be from coast to coast with no way out. Game over. let's just hope not.
How long will it be before we get back to sustain housing/economy level?

Old 11-18-2006, 08:08 PM

andrew was the first storm I had to work, But it was for alot of people. It took years to get the area back. the past 3 years were not that bad over all. Storms build the job market.

Old 11-18-2006, 08:19 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
And don't forget that I live in one of the most vulnerable places, upper Key Largo. The Atlantic is only 200 feet away from my home and I knew of longtime residents who had experienced Donna and one who was in the Keys for the Labor Day hurricane in 1935. It's sitting on columns up in the air, and at the time I built that was the only way you could build. It is hard to evacuate I know, but whenever there is a hurricane heading to FLorida I just crank down the shutters and drive to my parents house. Last year I had to stay home for Katrina as it caught everyone by surprise. The power went off, but otherwise I didn't notice any wind, the house is very strong and quiet. For Wilma I stayed with my parents and it was scary, especially when the tree fell through the roof. We were on generator power for 3 weeks. Oh yes and since they live in Cutler Ridge I have some lasting memories of being in there during Andrew when all four new homes across the street were distributed across our yard. Oddly enough the gravel covered tarpaper roof survived both storms while shingles all blew off. Look at history, it's not a matter of whether Florida will be hit but when. Again I am sorry about my feelings about Florida but I have no control over nature and none of you do either. If the "big one" hits when I am living here I will be giving out free ice as usual, and using the Bobcat and tools to help clean up the neighborhood. Of course I benefit from burning the wood in the generator, but since the goverment doesn't help, I try and do my best. Remember if we're lucky enough to see the Florida game end in our lifetime, it will be back, at a future date. Florida will always be bubble central.

Old 11-18-2006, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
And don't forget that I live in one of the most vulnerable places, upper Key Largo. The Atlantic is only 200 feet away from my home and I knew of longtime residents who had experienced Donna and one who was in the Keys for the Labor Day hurricane in 1935. It's sitting on columns up in the air, and at the time I built that was the only way you could build. It is hard to evacuate I know, but whenever there is a hurricane heading to FLorida I just crank down the shutters and drive to my parents house. Last year I had to stay home for Katrina as it caught everyone by surprise. The power went off, but otherwise I didn't notice any wind, the house is very strong and quiet. For Wilma I stayed with my parents and it was scary, especially when the tree fell through the roof. We were on generator power for 3 weeks. Oh yes and since they live in Cutler Ridge I have some lasting memories of being in there during Andrew when all four new homes across the street were distributed across our yard. Oddly enough the gravel covered tarpaper roof survived both storms while shingles all blew off. Look at history, it's not a matter of whether Florida will be hit but when. Again I am sorry about my feelings about Florida but I have no control over nature and none of you do either. If the "big one" hits when I am living here I will be giving out free ice as usual, and using the Bobcat and tools to help clean up the neighborhood. Of course I benefit from burning the wood in the generator, but since the goverment doesn't help, I try and do my best. Remember if we're lucky enough to see the Florida game end in our lifetime, it will be back, at a future date. Florida will always be bubble central.

Living in Florida bring risks that we must evaluate and decide if we want to stay or go. You decided to stay but despise the state. If you don't like the state why stay? By the way what is your paradise? Maybe we can understand your views better.

Old 11-18-2006, 08:51 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,081,952 times
I think we should worry about global warming. Especially those living in costal areas! If the sea level rises, the ocean will be in your kitchen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida