Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 06:20 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,905,017 times

Advertisements

For more than four years we’ve been growing and adding jobs at a pace envied by the nation. It’s an expansion cycle that started in October 2002. The tourists came back and the housing market took off. But in the world of economic cycles, every beginning has an end. It’s just a matter of when and a question of how.

Perhaps the most immediate threat comes from the housing market, whose red-hot growth has generated high-paying jobs and a massive surge in personal wealth in the form of home equity. If there is a soft underbelly to the Florida economy, that’s where it is. I don't see alot of the hummers on the road anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2006, 07:54 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,086,013 times
I don't think it's over Firemed. I think the market is just adjusting to the rapid growth. It was all abnormal growth. I can't believe that there won't be anymore people moving here. The homes just outpaced the people.

Old 11-13-2006, 09:43 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,083,146 times
3 times as many people relocate out of Florida as they move in. Many that move in are rich retirees or those with a high paying job offer and can actually afford a house! An application is being sent for a computer technician position that will pay me about $13 an hour. Not enough to afford anything. I still live in my parents house, that job will help me save for the downpayment for reasonably priced house when I relocate. Ill be self employeed cause theres no jobs in the towns I have my eye on.

Old 11-13-2006, 10:15 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,743,113 times
Us Florida natives will have to abandon ship and start our own lives elsewhere to get anywhere. I had friends 35 still living with their parents, then moving and starting businesses and earning more than they did here, in a place where a home costs less than 100,000. The bubble jobs will evaporate and with less employment the economy has to shrink. Retirees will tire of scraping by, and relocate to places like Panama where they can get the tropical lifestyle for less. I am hoping that Cuba becomes a 'democracy" so that can funnel away some of the money from Miami. For someone who doesn't earn much, a city with a lot of money is a bad thing. Well it is in a place like South FLorida where labor is cheap, and illegals live like slaves. There's still a lot of dirty money flowing into FLorida, from drugs and stolen from third world countries. I think that the tri county "gold coast" will be the last to crash, and it will take a hurricane to do it. Once stomped the area could take decades to rebuild, Think 1926.

Old 11-13-2006, 10:44 PM

29 posts, read 97,351 times
Why couldn't someone star a business in Florida and do well the same as anywhere else?

Old 11-13-2006, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterer View Post
Why couldn't someone star a business in Florida and do well the same as anywhere else?

Very expensive to buy or rent commercial. 80% of businesses fail within 2 years. My dad had a business that failed, although it did last more than a couple years. I will have a zero cost home business over the internet. My only expenses is a computer, internet dsl and $10/month to pay for a website's bandwith. I can live anywhere that has fast internet.

Old 11-14-2006, 05:25 AM

243 posts, read 1,096,919 times
[quote=Need_affordable_home;164242]3 times as many people relocate out of Florida as they move in.

Where's your source for this?

Old 11-14-2006, 11:08 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,743,113 times
Doing business in Florida is expensive, and the returns are low. If you market nationally or worldwide, why bother with a refugee infested place with overpriced rent and instaed buy commercial property in a smaller town in a non-bubble area. Supplies are a constant challenge, local suppliers are idiots who can't stock up as they have little warehouse space. Employees are flaky and tend to have sticky fingers, and have a high turnover rate as they are desperate for a good salary. You get a lot of young people living with parents or refugees desperate for work. It's a horrible place to do business and every friend who moved to a less expensive area thrives. For example a friend in the DVR business went from losing money in Davie to making a profit of 50K or more each month because the employees in North Dakota are better, there is no more rent for the warehouse and offices, and the taxes on the business are less. Ever try to get an occupational license in South Fl? It's a series of headaches that ND didn't have. Oh and insurance for the inventory was 1/5 of what it was here. They even get BETTER T3 service at a lower price so he hosts his own website. Shipments arrive and leave on time there, except during the worst storms. All employees live by themself or with their wife, not with roommates or parents. Oh and he says they are healthier too and the health insurance costs less. In a world where China and Korea are your competition, who can afford to have their headquarters in South Florida?? Oh and by the way, another friend in Minnesota who does real estate investing is making a lot more than he did in Florida. They can buy and sell cheaper, and earn more. Florida is a bad place for business and that's besides being in a bad geographical location.

Old 12-09-2006, 07:35 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,588,779 times
Default question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
3 times as many people relocate out of Florida as they move in. Many that move in are rich retirees or those with a high paying job offer and can actually afford a house! An application is being sent for a computer technician position that will pay me about $13 an hour. Not enough to afford anything. I still live in my parents house, that job will help me save for the downpayment for reasonably priced house when I relocate. Ill be self employeed cause theres no jobs in the towns I have my eye on.
OMG arent you moving though? And is a small business really impossible? it would seem so. What kind of options would a person have if they wanted to start a business?

Old 12-09-2006, 07:55 PM

Yes im moving out of Florida along with the rest of the others also moving out. I wouldnt be confident in starting a business unless it was internet based.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: