Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 09:11 PM

3 posts, read 9,727 times

Advertisements

First post! I'm currently a high school senior living in the Northeast and I decided at the end of last year that Florida is really the place where I want to go to college for a whole list of reasons. This past summer I went down to look at schools in Florida and I looked at UF, UMiami, Rollins, UTampa, Stetson, Flagler, and Florida State. I ended up applying to Stetson, Florida State, Flagler, and Rollins.

I have searched the forums for topics about opinions on the schools, but I feel like I didn't gain a whole lot of information by doing it. So, I was wondering if I could get some input from the residents of Florida.

What kind of reputations within the state do the schools I have applied to have? Do people who attend the schools enjoy them? I'm really just looking for any basic opinions and stories. Thanks a lot for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 05:08 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Try a Search in this forum.
There has been a lot of discussion about colleges.
FWIW:
My younger kid applied to Rollins (we've heard very good things) but ended up at Florida State and is very happy.
His friend went to Flagler but at the end of the year will transfer to University of Florida, he said the Flagler kids were all rich and snobby and he was uncomfortable there.
Obviously these are just second-hand opinions to you and do not take the place of visiting the campuses yourself.

Old 01-26-2008, 07:13 AM

894 posts, read 4,348,545 times
I think it depends on what you are looking for in a school and what your studies will be.

Like Cil, my now sophmore son goes to FSU and loves it. That was the one and only school he applied to. I can tell you that FSU is a party school.

DM if you have specific questions.

Good luck!

Old 01-26-2008, 08:33 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,912,465 times
I noticed New College of Florida wasn't on your list. It is in Sarasota and rated one of the least expensive schools for what they offer. Here are some stats from The Princeton Review :
Enrollment: 746, Average GPA 3.94, Student to faculty ratio:10:1
Rankings & Lists: Students happy with financial aid, Best in the Southwest, Best Value College, gay community accepted, dorms like palaces

Old 01-26-2008, 10:53 AM

387 posts, read 1,593,189 times
What do you want to go to school for? What experience do you want? All of those, save FSU, are really small schools. Rollins being the closest to a "big city" (Orlando).

Old 01-26-2008, 11:00 AM

3 posts, read 9,727 times
Sorry I probably should have mentioned that. I want to go to a smaller school near a somewhat large city. I really only applied to FSU because I've heard good things about it, but I haven't heard much about the others. I'm interested in both business and psychology.

Old 01-26-2008, 01:53 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,155,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holysombrero View Post
Sorry I probably should have mentioned that. I want to go to a smaller school near a somewhat large city. I really only applied to FSU because I've heard good things about it, but I haven't heard much about the others. I'm interested in both business and psychology.

What is your current location?

Old 01-26-2008, 02:06 PM

129 posts, read 448,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holysombrero View Post
It sounds like Rollins should be your choice. The campus is located in downtown Winter Park, and you can be on Orange ave in downtown Orlando in less than 10 minutes without getting on I-4.

Rollins has a beautiful campus, I've visited there numerous times. I never took classes there, but a grew up in Winter Park and went to UCF. If you can afford to go to Rollins from out of state, then I'm sure you will be comfortable with the scene there, but the fact is you can find any scene you want because you will be right in the heart of central florida.

FSU is a much different campus. My sister went there and liked it, but there is not much else around. The school is it. When the semester is over, the town closes up shop for the most part. You do get the big time football and party feel there, but there are no cities close by to Tallahassee, not to mention enrollment of about 40,000 people. Not much of a small school.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:08 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Embry Riddle, Webber, Stetson are all good colleges.

I don't remember is Webber is in Babson Park, or if that was another small college. I would say that private colleges are better than state-sponsored universities.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:47 PM

387 posts, read 1,593,189 times
Well, being a UF homer, I'd completely and 100% disagree. However, for the poster, I think Rollins would be your best bet. Stetson undergrad is just way too isolated. I mean... it's in DeLand. I'm sure people enjoy it, but the closest "big city" would be Daytona... gross.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida