Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 08:44 PM

30 posts, read 45,437 times

Advertisements

About a year and a half ago I found this forum and started asking for info on Florida. I received tons of great advice from people who both love the place and a few who seem to hate everything in the world including their own lives. My wife and I used that info to plan and make an informed decision and after several different potential chances, all of the cards fell into place and we now officially call Florida home.

For those of you who remember giving us any advice, thank you, it was very much appreciated. For those of you who are new and looking to make a move you have to sift through the good and the bad here and come to your own conclusion. Be prepared and know what you're getting into. We took note of some of the repeated advice here and were fortunately able to take our time. My wife and I both turned down several job offers because at that particular time things didn't make sense. But because we did our homework, when the stars aligned and I received a great job offer when I really wasn't ready for it, we said yes and made the move in just 5 weeks from Pittsburgh.

We are born and raised Buckeyes who moved to Pittsburgh just a couple of years ago and like many people on here from the North, were sick of 6 months of winter and 3 months of subzero windchills. I've dreamed of living where the snow doesn't exist(yes I know it's hot here, I don't need reminded that's what the trade-off is. I have the internet) and my wife made it hers as well and here we are ready to start a new adventure. We are excited to get to know the place and make it our own.

If you're looking for advice at least on the front end of moving here and figuring out how to even begin, I"ll try to be here as much as possible to give my insight(probably repeating a lot of stuff that I learned from this forum). I can't give you too much insight on the area itself because we've just arrived but will be quick to learn the ins and outs.

Thanks everyone for your help! I now plan to pass it on to others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 05:59 AM

90 posts, read 92,241 times
Congratulations! I hope to join you in Florida one day, but for now, I'm stuck in this leech of a state, Connecticut

Old 08-18-2015, 06:38 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
Congratulations!

Old 08-18-2015, 07:56 AM

116 posts, read 262,527 times
Congratulations on the move. We made the move back in Feb. and this site as well as a number of sites on FB were of immense value.

Old 08-18-2015, 10:39 AM

2,416 posts, read 2,985,263 times
Congratulations! We've been here about 7 years now and we still love it. Where did you end up in Florida? How long have you been here? Will this be your first winter here?

Old 08-18-2015, 11:14 AM

264 posts, read 229,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh2pa View Post
About a year and a half ago I found this forum and started asking for info on Florida. I received tons of great advice from people who both love the place and a few who seem to hate everything in the world including their own lives. My wife and I used that info to plan and make an informed decision and after several different potential chances, all of the cards fell into place and we now officially call Florida home.

For those of you who remember giving us any advice, thank you, it was very much appreciated. For those of you who are new and looking to make a move you have to sift through the good and the bad here and come to your own conclusion. Be prepared and know what you're getting into. We took note of some of the repeated advice here and were fortunately able to take our time. My wife and I both turned down several job offers because at that particular time things didn't make sense. But because we did our homework, when the stars aligned and I received a great job offer when I really wasn't ready for it, we said yes and made the move in just 5 weeks from Pittsburgh.

We are born and raised Buckeyes who moved to Pittsburgh just a couple of years ago and like many people on here from the North, were sick of 6 months of winter and 3 months of subzero windchills. I've dreamed of living where the snow doesn't exist(yes I know it's hot here, I don't need reminded that's what the trade-off is. I have the internet) and my wife made it hers as well and here we are ready to start a new adventure. We are excited to get to know the place and make it our own.

If you're looking for advice at least on the front end of moving here and figuring out how to even begin, I"ll try to be here as much as possible to give my insight(probably repeating a lot of stuff that I learned from this forum). I can't give you too much insight on the area itself because we've just arrived but will be quick to learn the ins and outs.

Thanks everyone for your help! I now plan to pass it on to others.
What part of FL did you settle in?

Old 08-18-2015, 11:15 AM

264 posts, read 229,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCPJP View Post
Congratulations! I hope to join you in Florida one day, but for now, I'm stuck in this leech of a state, Connecticut
Us too unfortunately....at least until sometime in early 2017! lol

Old 08-18-2015, 11:23 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh2pa View Post
... a few who seem to hate everything in
the world including their own lives.
STILL laughing!!!
Thank you for that!

Old 08-18-2015, 01:50 PM

30 posts, read 45,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
Congratulations! We've been here about 7 years now and we still love it. Where did you end up in Florida? How long have you been here? Will this be your first winter here?
Thank you! We did all of our research on Tampa and St. Pete but the jobs actually came in from Clearwater and so far we're loving that it worked out that way. The proximity to both Tampa/St. Pete and most importantly to us, the beaches, is excellent.

Yes this will be our first winter here and we couldn't be more excited. I've been reading lately that this winter is suppose to be worse than last years and I can't put into words how terrible it was last year.

Old 08-18-2015, 03:24 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
See, I love the Winter ocean in Fla...sometimes windy, gray, cold...reminds
me of Long Island, the Cape and New England...sweatshirts, work up an appetite walking, no one around...go for an early dinner
fish, wine, sleep like a baby ....like heaven!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida