Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 07:55 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
People who sit around and whine about there being no 'big pay jobs' (in Florida or anywhere else) are unlikely to qualify for 'big pay jobs' anywhere. People who are qualified to do those jobs are very much in demand ... and also know that those jobs are not the 'low hanging fruit' one finds by simply mailing-out resumes and spending time in HR departments.

There are plenty of jobs in Florida, including 'big pay jobs' -- and then, like anywhere else, there are a ton of mediocre, low paying jobs available to those who simply follow the crowd. There are 'no jobs' for those with few qualifications and limited skills ... who hang-out in their parent's basement, hoping someone will call them on the phone -- 'begging' them to take a high-paying, no skills required job.
Pretty much would be my exact answer. Actually, there are TONS of jobs in Florida right now. But it depends what one is looking for. People who claim "no jobs" are both lying and/or ignorant, and usually a "Florida hater" - we have loads of "Florida haters" on this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 10:11 AM

20,023 posts, read 20,831,761 times
I figured it was doom and gloomers.
I checked the crap out of craigslist and some other job sites and it seems like there is no shortage of jobs. Especially trades, service, etc...
I just hear a lot of people crying how there are no good jobs, blah blah blah.
I suppose if you expect to make 100k a year at a 30 hour a week job then yeah maybe not too many jobs.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:32 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,120,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I checked the crap out of craigslist and some other job sites and it seems like there is no shortage of jobs. Especially trades, service, etc...
I suppose if you expect to make 100k a year at a 30 hour a week job then yeah maybe not too many jobs.
Correct. Some folks think they should get $20 an hour but they have nothing to offer
an employer except a warm body and a bad attitude.

Old 09-08-2015, 02:23 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,936,812 times
Quote:
I think a lot of people in Florida see wages in San Francisco, San Jose, New York City etc and compare it to the wages in Florida. What they don't understand is the cost of living in these areas are SO MUCH HIGHER! The average rent for a 1 bedroom in San Francisco is now over $3,500. Most places require 3x gross income, so you're looking at $126,000 per year just to qualify for an average 1 bedroom. The median HOUSEHOLD income is around $77,000, which is why most people who aren't under rent control end up living in shared apartments. The idea of living in a shared apartment when you are a professional is absurd to most people in Florida. It's really just a matter of ignorance and thinking the grass if greener on the other side.

Old 09-08-2015, 02:33 PM

27,176 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Quote:
It's more about expecting to make over 50K per year. There aren't a whole lot of those jobs to be had in any field when factoring the number of applicants applying for them. Orlando for example is on average the lowest salaried big city in the country with the average for all residents sitting at just below 30K.

Old 09-08-2015, 03:12 PM

20,023 posts, read 20,831,761 times
I'm going to be semi retired so I don't need a boatload of money.
I think my biggest issue will be either myself or my wife getting something with benefits.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:15 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,936,812 times
Quote:
I'm going to be semi retired so I don't need a boatload of money.
I think my biggest issue will be either myself or my wife getting something with benefits.
You can look into some mutual funds for retirees, or if you just want something very small, Ally Bank has no fee online savings accounts paying 0.99%.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:31 PM

670 posts, read 1,277,262 times
It is simply untrue. I have a very good white collar job. I make more money here than I did in the DC area.

Quote:
Are there really no jobs in Florida or is it really no "big pay" jobs?
I'm in NY and everyone is whining about there being "no" jobs, but when you dig further you find out that it's really about no jobs in certain fields, mainly the stuff that pays big money, mostly white collar stuff.
By me, there is no shortage of work for people who don't mind getting their hands dirty in the blue collar trades. Or, retail, which notoriously pays crap but it's still a job.
So what is the real deal?

Old 09-08-2015, 07:50 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,925,638 times
I've been reading these comments, and I don't know why people assume those who have low paying jobs are uneducated. I've met plenty of people working in stores who are college graduates, but they gave up trying to find jobs in their fields.

There are some cheerleaders on this forum who will also tell you it never rains in Florida. But facts are facts. 45% of FL households struggle to pay for basic necessities. 54% of all jobs pay under $15/hr. Here is my source:

[url=http://www.sun-sentinel.com/opinion/commentary/fl-rscol-oped0119-20150116-column.html]Florida's low-wage jobs nothing to brag about - Sun Sentinel[/url]

This article says that there are 9 job seekers for every job opening.

[url]http://thejobgap.org/florida-low-wage-nation-2015/[/url]

The poverty level for Florida is very high. 1 in 6 Floridians live in poverty.

[URL="http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20140918/ARTICLE/140919676"]Poverty rates remain stubbornly high[/URL]

By the way, per capita income is not based on wages. The main reason Florida's per capita income is over $40,000 is because of its high percentage of retirees. For example, Naples has a very high per capita income but the average working person doesn't make $60k.

Last edited by justNancy; 09-08-2015 at 08:12 PM.. Reason: fix link

Old 09-08-2015, 07:59 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,925,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NALEXAND View Post
It is simply untrue. I have a very good white collar job. I make more money here than I did in the DC area.
Very happy to hear that. Congratulations.

I also had a couple of good-paying jobs. However, we can't use our own personal experiences to analyze a state with nearly 20 million people.

There has been a big increase in tech jobs, so that's good news. There's always room for experienced medical professionals too. In fact, there's a shortage of doctors. So it really depends on your field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida