Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 02:54 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,173,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboytampabay View Post
No we will just get more Yankees that want to talk about how better it is up north!

If it was better up north why on earth would they consider relocation??

It is time to drop the old mantras used by retirees decades ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 03:16 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,952,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
What's funny to me is how many New Yorkers leave SFL to get away from "the New Yorkers"!

LOL! So true!

Old 09-16-2015, 04:45 PM

162 posts, read 147,260 times
For ignorant people....Hurricane Sandy and two brutal winters. Perhaps, they dream of low taxes too.

Old 09-16-2015, 04:46 PM

162 posts, read 147,260 times
I think I am dreaming when I get the Pasco County water bill!

Old 09-16-2015, 08:02 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,028,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
I'm curious how many Floridians move away. My experience has been that us natives end up coming back to FL after finishing up school/training elsewhere almost always.
I left St. Petersburg a couple years ago for Phoenix, AZ. I'm originally from Tampa. I don't have any plans to leave here, I'm content.

Old 09-16-2015, 11:34 PM

8 posts, read 10,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseo1 View Post
eventually it will be more natives as the 'desire' to move here fades, i dont see many younger people under 50 seeing fl as a destination
+1

I'm 17. My generation and that of my parents mostly sees Florida as an oddity at best and a cesspool at worst. It makes me wonder what will happen if this attitude persists over the long term, given the state's economy relies almost entirely upon tourism.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:33 AM

299 posts, read 379,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
If it was better up north why on earth would they consider relocation??

It is time to drop the old mantras used by retirees decades ago.

I don't know why don't you ask them!

Old 09-17-2015, 08:56 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,173,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboytampabay View Post
I don't know why don't you ask them!
The answer would be that its NOT better up north for those who left it. I think the "better up north" and related sayings were from snowbirds. If you've been in any major northeastern cities lately you would quickly realize that it's really better elsewhere.

Old 09-17-2015, 10:34 AM

422 posts, read 413,797 times
If up north isnt so much better then why do all the northerners talk about "up here we did this, up there we did that, GO GIANTS!!!"!"!"@1" ??

Old 09-17-2015, 09:06 PM

3,373 posts, read 2,162,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
The answer would be that its NOT better up north for those who left it. I think the "better up north" and related sayings were from snowbirds. If you've been in any major northeastern cities lately you would quickly realize that it's really better elsewhere.
I think it depends upon which type of "better" is the subject of discussion. Some examples:
  • Cost of Living: Florida is the winner.
  • Road quality: Florida is the winner.
  • Weather and frequency of sunshine: Florida is the winner.
  • Property and self-defense rights: Florida is the winner.
  • Poverty: Florida is the loser.
  • Education: Florida is the loser.
  • Hospitals: Florida is the loser.
  • Crime and Incarceration rates: Florida is the loser.
  • Uninsured Persons: Florida is the loser.
Ultimately, whether or not things are better as a whole is of course contingent upon the experience of individuals on an individual basis.

From a contextual standpoint, "it is/was better up north" and "we did things this way up north" has been invoked, in my experience, almost exclusively when observing perceived incompetence and/or timeliness of action, or when noticing disparities in the frequency of formerly commonplace occurrences such as street lighting and sidewalks.

Just my two cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida