Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 09:18 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,460,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
I'm curious how many Floridians move away. My experience has been that us natives end up coming back to FL after finishing up school/training elsewhere almost always.
I know a lot that move out and don't come back. Some do, though. I moved out, almost came back, but nope. Not gonna happen. When I move out of Texas its to the north, not back down south. Heat is killing me as it over here and it doesn't last nearly as long as way deep down in Florida Good boy imagine going back to that sauna full of lizards and transplants!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Fine, still in the southeast. How many settle in Midwest or the northeast? Again, it's all anecdotal experience but I rarely see natives I've known move to the northeast or out west as much as I see others move in
Well my aunt moved to Nebraska though she did come back. My cousin though, prefers Nebraska to Florida. Don't know if he'll move back there, but he'll probably move somewhere up north. I live in the Southwest now, but I do plan to settle in the Midwest, in Minnesota. My brother has always mentioned living in Chicago, and considering the fact he recently got a letter from University of Chicago, I really hope he takes that opportunity. As far as the northeast? Philadelphia, New York and Boston is full of former Floridians. California has lots of them too. It is true though, the southeast, (Georgia, the Carolinas, Tennessee and Virginia) tend to be the biggest magnets. A good portion of my family almost moved to North Carolina but pregnancy happened.

Old 09-17-2015, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
I have always had a fondness for Latin American cultures. I enjoy hearing the Spanish and Portuguese language, and the dramatic disposition of Latin Americans is just hilarious at even the most random times.

I don't care of the conservatism in Southern culture. Transplants from NJ, New York, the Midwest, and Latin America are what has given Florida its live and let live social atmosphere. Too many Southerners still focus too much on what other people are doing in their bedrooms.

I also don't care for the nosiness that Southerners display when talking to you. Mind your own business, you know? Not to mention the whole being nice to your face and then talking all types of negative things about you behind your back. Northerners, particularly North-easterners, don't play type of crap.
Then go back up north then. I can't stand people who move to southern states from up north, to soak up the grossly overrated hot weather, and then try to transform it to an extension of their home state whether its Ohio or New York or what have you. How disrespectful to tell the people who are actually from here that you wish they'd leave and it just become a peninsula without any actual individual identity. That attitude don't fly here in Texas. People will kick your ass if you try to say "I wish more native Texans can leave so it can be mostly us transplants who don't want to shovel snow but still have our northern way of life." I wish Florida had been more like that.

Thinking all of southerners are the type that are bible thumping or ultra-conservative is just as uninformed as thinking that all northerners are ultra-liberal, noisy, rude and stuck up their own rear end. The south is also full of kind hearted people with kick-ass food, sexy accents (my ex denies his accent, but when it slips I think its adorable) and rich cultural history. Northerners have positive quality too, many are very well educated and open minded people. Stop being a snob.

Old 09-18-2015, 12:05 AM

2,956 posts, read 2,342,545 times
If you moved once you should be able to move again if it doesn't suit you. Don't let the door hit you.

Old 09-18-2015, 03:48 AM

469 posts, read 576,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Thinking all of southerners are the type that are bible thumping or ultra-conservative is just as uninformed as thinking that all northerners are ultra-liberal, noisy, rude and stuck up their own rear end. The south is also full of kind hearted people with kick-ass food, sexy accents (my ex denies his accent, but when it slips I think its adorable) and rich cultural history. Northerners have positive quality too, many are very well educated and open minded people. Stop being a snob.
I wish I could rep you about 100 times for this post.

Old 09-18-2015, 06:39 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,118,662 times
Quote:
Then go back up north then. I can't stand people who move to southern states from up north, to soak up the grossly overrated hot weather, and then try to transform it to an extension of their home state whether its Ohio or New York or what have you. How disrespectful to tell the people who are actually from here that you wish they'd leave and it just become a peninsula without any actual individual identity. That attitude don't fly here in Texas. People will kick your ass if you try to say "I wish more native Texans can leave so it can be mostly us transplants who don't want to shovel snow but still have our northern way of life." I wish Florida had been more like that.

I am a Florida native thank you very much. Born here, raised here, and still live here to this day. Don't tell me to leave my home state.

Old 09-18-2015, 07:00 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,118,662 times
Quote:

And Florida has its own identity. And it's not Southern.

Old 09-18-2015, 07:29 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Quote:
Yup. Anyone who thinks Central FL/South FL is like the deep south needs to have their head examined.

Old 09-18-2015, 08:16 AM

422 posts, read 412,412 times
Quote:
Yup. Anyone who thinks Central FL/South FL is like the deep south needs to have their head examined.
Obviously you never been to Glades County...

Quote:
Only northerners say stuff like this. Florida is southern ask any native, just because you moved to a city where all the transplants live does not mean there arent many southern spots that are more southern than anything you will find in VA, NC etc...

Old 09-18-2015, 08:32 AM

299 posts, read 377,888 times
Quote:

This person has only been to the big cities. Most of Florida land mass is very southern. It hasn't been "yankeefied" yet. Thank goodness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida