Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 09:12 AM

729 posts, read 1,301,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboytampabay View Post
Two Egg
LMAO, I forgot about Two Egg. I remember my reaction the first time I heard it. My thought was "is that a restaurant". When I found out it was an actual place, my next thought was "are you f***in serious".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 10:47 AM

237 posts, read 245,693 times
Destin for sure. Although our population is a little larger around 15k there is a big "stepford" presence here, very much a good ole boy system and most people know everything about every body.

Some of the towns mentioned are more country and not at all "stepford" types. Sandestin could also work.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:53 PM

8 posts, read 10,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenoodle99 View Post
Destin for sure. Although our population is a little larger around 15k there is a big "stepford" presence here, very much a good ole boy system and most people know everything about every body.
Destin sounds awesome for this. Are there any threads or the like about that culture in it?

Old 09-18-2015, 06:46 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofFlorida View Post
Having lived in Tallahasse, these two areas immediately came to mind:

Bristol
Wewahitchka (Wewa for short)
Wewa is the opposite of stepford like. It's too rural and country to be have a fake cookie-cutter subdivision, country club type of atmosphere. It's the opposite of that.

Old 09-18-2015, 06:47 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboytampabay View Post
Sopchoppy

Way too rural/woodsy to be considered 'stepford like'.

Old 09-19-2015, 06:17 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,221,727 times
Yep, Destin is the perfect example of a small panhandle town. Andy and Barney have everything under control and Floyd still charges $2 for a high and tight.

Old 09-19-2015, 08:32 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Destin is essentially an affluent suburb of Ft. Walton Beach, no matter how much the Destin crowd wants to spin it otherwise. Saw Seaside also mentioned but about 95% of the houses there are vacation rentals.

I would go for Chipley, which is a pretty classic Southern small town with surprisingly awesome architecture.

Old 09-20-2015, 04:05 PM

That's silliness. Last time I checked Destin was it's own city, with defined city limits. It's the same distance to Ft. Walton from where you live, so are you guys essentially the same? The only reason we have to bus over there for high school is because our population isn't large enough to get the money needed for advanced/AP high school classes.

Old 09-20-2015, 05:33 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
And Niceville-Bluewater Bay-Valparaiso are just the north-northeast parts of the ring around the bay suburbs of Ft. Walton Beach. As for the 'Destin High School' issue, it goes beyond A.P. classes and what is considered to be a basic head count for a school to be financially sustainable and Destin proper is never going to hit that number under current Florida tax & school boundary rules. The numbers aren't going to work for a 500 student public high school in the south part of the county when there is excess capacity nearby already.

The only way you ever get the scenario to work is if is, a) when the last big Niceville development north of the new Publix get built, it overcrowds Niceville HS in such a way b) that Choctaw HS can't handle the student overflow and c) you get the Bluewater-Seminole-parts of East Niceville area to buy into getting zoned out of Niceville HS, something they'd fight tooth and nail under current conditions r and d) that would be 15-20 years down the road anyways and I'm not sure where you would put a a high school unless Peter Bos is willing to cough up more land or they're willing to carve space out of the airport.

Old 09-20-2015, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
And Niceville-Bluewater Bay-Valparaiso are just the north-northeast parts of the ring around the bay suburbs of Ft. Walton Beach. As for the 'Destin High School' issue, it goes beyond A.P. classes and what is considered to be a basic head count for a school to be financially sustainable and Destin proper is never going to hit that number under current Florida tax & school boundary rules. The numbers aren't going to work for a 500 student public high school in the south part of the county when there is excess capacity nearby already.

The only way you ever get the scenario to work is if is, a) when the last big Niceville development north of the new Publix get built, it overcrowds Niceville HS in such a way b) that Choctaw HS can't handle the student overflow and c) you get the Bluewater-Seminole-parts of East Niceville area to buy into getting zoned out of Niceville HS, something they'd fight tooth and nail under current conditions r and d) that would be 15-20 years down the road anyways and I'm not sure where you would put a a high school unless Peter Bos is willing to cough up more land or they're willing to carve space out of the airport.
I get what you're saying now, I was thinking you were meaning something else, I apologize for that. I recently had a conversation with someone who said something really nasty about freeport and niceville (he lives in freeport) and I just looked at him with my mouth open a little. I have many friends in niceville and a couple in freeport, he was the first person I had ever heard that from. There's so much small town BS around here. We came from Arizona years ago and Tucson is just as big as panama city to navarre and upwards towards free port. That would all be 1 big city in a different state. The only thing we're lacking is proper roads to travel between the places in a quicker fashion.

Some parents are suggesting we turn the old theater off Main street into a high school. I would still bus my kids out. Niceville high is also saying they're cutting waivers because of the numbers they have moving into their district. That number will rise when summer hits and PCS season is here. It's rare that people actually request to leave because they're so happy in the area, but they still keep shipping in the new guys. My husband just got orders from Hurlburt to Eglin so we could retire in FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida