Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 06:50 AM

422 posts, read 412,180 times

Advertisements

When auto, home insurance rates are higher than national average, wages 15% lower than the national average (bls.gov), home prices in large cities higher than national average and other taxes increasing every year (tax, licenses, etc) does this argument even hold up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 07:12 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,995,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseo1 View Post
When auto, home insurance rates are higher than national average, wages 15% lower than the national average (bls.gov), home prices in large cities higher than national average and other taxes increasing every year (tax, licenses, etc) does this argument even hold up?
Yes. If you're retired and live in the right area...

Old 09-17-2015, 07:32 AM

9,357 posts, read 14,297,668 times
Quote:
You are asking the wrong question.

Here is the question:

Do you file any of Schedules B, C, D, and E?

If the answer is no, then you probably do not operate your own business and you are under the age of 59 and a half, basically speaking.

Old 09-17-2015, 07:42 AM

6,390 posts, read 4,896,864 times
The money has to come from somewhere. There is a lot of tourism plus the tax when you buy a house which makes up for some of it. As long as people are moving in and there are lots of tourists there won't be a problem but next downturn there may be.

Old 09-17-2015, 07:47 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,211,328 times
I didn't realize there was an argument over no income tax.

Old 09-17-2015, 07:55 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,895,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
The money has to come from somewhere. There is a lot of tourism plus the tax when you buy a house which makes up for some of it. As long as people are moving in and there are lots of tourists there won't be a problem but next downturn there may be.
Tourism tax, plus Florida has higher sales tax than many states that is supposed to make up for it. But still, public works are sorely underfunded, and lag behind what is available for free to people in many other states with income tax. That is either due to a lack of money, or mismanagement. I would think a lot of it is also due to poor city/town/state planning. The people who come to the state to take, and do not have families nor need or use its services, do not care that they amass wealth off the back of the state and contribute nothing to it. They use their expensive lawyers to find every loophole in the book so they pay the lowest possible rate for everything, and all they care is that they got theirs.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:08 AM

299 posts, read 377,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
Tourism tax, plus Florida has higher sales tax than many states that is supposed to make up for it. But still, public works are sorely underfunded, and lag behind what is available for free to people in many other states with income tax. That is either due to a lack of money, or mismanagement. I would think a lot of it is also due to poor city/town/state planning. The people who come to the state to take, and do not have families nor need or use its services, do not care that they amass wealth off the back of the state and contribute nothing to it. They use their expensive lawyers to find every loophole in the book so they pay the lowest possible rate for everything, and all they care is that they got theirs.

You had better do your research. Florida's sales tax is about 30th. I have been to the northeast a lot on business and have never seen worst roads. I don't know anyone that doesn't take every advantage or deduction to pay lower taxes.

Old 09-17-2015, 02:33 PM

422 posts, read 412,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
I didn't realize there was an argument over no income tax.
Its not an ARGUMENT per se, but people (on this forum in particular) use it as an excuse to move here.

Old 09-17-2015, 02:39 PM

45,328 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Its not an ARGUMENT per se, but people (on this forum in particular) use it as an excuse to move here.

When I was in the Navy many years ago it was strongly "suggested" that those of us in FL from other states change our residency to it. The lack of an income tax was the main reason.

As far as home owner's insurance goes, that's a direct result of the state being in Hurricane Alley as well as flooding issues.

The reality is that taxes come from somewhere. Some states combine a variety (sales, income, property, other) while other states use one combination or another.

Old 09-17-2015, 02:58 PM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboytampabay View Post
You had better do your research. Florida's sales tax is about 30th. I have been to the northeast a lot on business and have never seen worst roads. I don't know anyone that doesn't take every advantage or deduction to pay lower taxes.

I think it is my biggest dislike with the Northeast. The Roads. They are so bad, I honestly cannot stand driving on them. I think there is something wrong with the populace, for putting up with roads that look like bombs hit them. Every year in Massachusetts a Excise Tax is collected, for the sake of road maintenance. The tax is calculated at $25 per thousand of the value of the car each year. Yet where the money goes is beyond me. It sure doesn't go to fix the roads. At least from what I have seen, Florida roads are so much better. Plus there is no yearly Excise Tax on the vehicle. Just the registration fee.

I will agree though. Insurance and a few other things are very high in Florida. I understand some people, can't even find an insurer to insure their home in this state.

You can't have it all I guess. At least I will take the roads in Florida, over the horrible one's in the Northeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida