Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 06:54 PM

92 posts, read 468,261 times

Advertisements

I own a lot there with a trailer on it (old trailer, but livable.) and an adjoining lot. NIce little place-waterfront when there is water! I have it for sale adn was told that new buyers could build where the trailer is and be grandfathered in on impact fees. Is that not so???

Old 02-23-2008, 09:41 AM

1 posts, read 3,828 times
Angry Impact fees in Citrus Co.

Jan 2005 I purchased one of the remaining lots in an upscale development. Feb 2005 I signed a contract with a local builder and paid a first draw of $32000 (which included $4,430.26 for Impact fees and building permits) House was to be completed in 8 months. I left for Canada for the summer. When the house was never started I had to enlist the aid of a lawyer to negotiate a settlement. I requested a refund of my impact fees from the county. Was told that they could only return the money to the person who had written the check. I requested they reissue a building permit in my name and transfer the impact fees - which they did. I became ill and decided that I didn't need the trouble at the current time and decided not to be the builder. In 2007 I again wrote to the county and requested the return of my impact fees. This time they didn't even respond to my letter. WHAT DO I DO?????

Old 02-23-2008, 12:03 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,836,684 times
I am a believer in impact fees if they are fair and equitable. Paying taxes on an empty lot does not entitle the owner to build a home that would then use water/sewer/police/fire/all other services that occupants use.
The current residents have funded the size of the water and sewer services, adding on additional units means they could be hit with a big bill to expand the infrastructure. That's just common sense.
I have never objected to paying school taxes although I have never had children.
My parents paid them too and we went to Catholic schools so we never got anything for the money. What I hope we get are educated young people who are the future of this country. I wish we could pay teachers more (the good ones) and administrators less. That would be in a more perfect world.

One a lighter note: Charlotte Co. has temporarily reduced their impact fees to stimulate their construction economy which has hit the skids like everywhere else in Florida. I doubt that will convince someone to build or not build.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:21 AM
LM1 LM1 started this thread

833 posts, read 998,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagardener View Post
I

One a lighter note: Charlotte Co. has temporarily reduced their impact fees to stimulate their construction economy which has hit the skids like everywhere else in Florida. I doubt that will convince someone to build or not build.
I think it depends on how high the impact fees are.
When they're into the five figures, yes, a substantial reduction could most certainly motivate someone to go ahead and "pull the trigger". It's also a boon to development outfits who work with relatively slim margins in markets like this (construction jobs, adds to the tax base, etc)
When they're a pittance, no, it probably isn't going to make a difference.

Citrus County is one of the worst in Florida, not because they're the "highest", but because they're "one of the highest" yet offer some of the absolute least in the way of metropolitan services. Sorry, Citrus, you cannot compare yourself to Miami-Dade or Collier. You ain't in the same league.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida