Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 07:52 AM

237 posts, read 245,660 times

Advertisements

My sticker is right under my rear view mirror and I have never had a problem with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 08:46 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,397,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilBit305 View Post
I am a former Florida resident since late 2005 before it was mandated for all Florida drivers to have a transponder in their vehicle(s). Before I left, I was placing my toll funds into the big, dirty, off white basket; or giving it to the toll plaza collector before they were unfortunately laid-off and replaced by computer technology. I have since traveled back to Miami over the years, only to have driven my mother back and forth in her vehicle once every 3 months (only because I felt she couldn't do the 10 hour drive alone from Atlanta to Miami). She had her own transponder *the one that beeped*, which was outdated but didn't get a chance to update one to a newer model before she passed in May 2014.
My question to anyone who can help me is:

I am returning to Florida after a year and a half and I ordered my own Sunpass transponder. Well, not the transponder device since I am extremely cheap and felt that I could use the remaining $9.00+ towards toll funds; I purchased the sticker decal one instead. As I read about the do's and don'ts and where it should be placed. I would like to know does it have to be placed underneath the rearview mirror, or can it be placed elsewhere? Now I also read if it's placed on the left or right side of the mirror, it will not be read properly and this can result in additional fees, and penalties charged to your account. I DO NOT WANT THAT TO HAPPEN, ESPECIALLY IF FUNDS WERE ADDED to cover the entry onto the turnpike roadway in Wildwood exiting Interstate 75 Southbound all the way to my destination of my home city Miami, back north to Orlando for the Florida Classic Game, around the Orlando/Kissimmee areas and once I depart from Florida, heading northbound on the turnpike back to Interstate-75.

I have a dash-cam which I've placed underneath the rearview mirror in order to get an excellent view as it being recorded, in case of an accident, and taking precautionary measures for my safety in today's society. Can I place it elsewhere on the windshield? Like on the left bottom driver side? I did read from other motorists that once they placed it on either left or right side of the mirror, it wasn't read and they were charged additional fees. I've also read if you try to remove it once you've applied it, the sensor may get deactivated or destroyed and this may cause for it to stop working etc. etc. etc.

Can anyone help me? I am waiting for it to arrive in the mail of course, but I do not want to apply it to the windshield if I can place it else where other than what was stated. Now I was thinking to not place it on the windshield at all, and when I pass through the toll plaza, just take it and possibly stick it out the window or press it against the windshield....but apparently I wasn't the only one who thought of that and as I read the comments, responses and replies to those whose thought process was similar to mine....it wasn't such a great idea and I will leave it as that and wait for a response from someone...anyone in any type of advice for me to place this thing. Now I wished I wouldn't have been so cheap and ordered the actually transponder device instead of the darn sticker!!!!!
I think life in Florida may be too complicated 4 U.

Old 09-28-2015, 04:11 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
many cars have an antenna in the glass near the rear view mirror - placing the device under the antenna may block SunPass' ability to read your pass properly so be careful...they have good customer service, so give their folks a call if you have questions about placement.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:02 PM

823 posts, read 1,125,799 times
I believe that if you register your Sunpass, and you drive through a reader and the pass is not read, it then takes a pic of your tag. They can then match the tag with your Sunpass account and you won't get charged extra fees, they'll just charge the toll to your account same as if the Sunpass was read. If you don't have a Sunpass account, then you'll get charged extra fees for them to bill you by your tag.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:17 PM

7 posts, read 6,298 times
So you or your family do not use a SUNPASS....you pay at a toll booth with actual money? Can you tell me exactly which Florida Turnpike or toll road you use between the Florida State line to Dade County that accepts money. For I am clearly confused of your response. I know for a fact a SUNPASS TRANSPONDER is needed if you do not own a transponder that is linked to either your bank account, or I guess a prepaid C.C. to deduct toll cost each time you pass through the SUNPASS toll plazas, there is also a sticker that is placed inside your windshield....of which I am asking of the placement in my post above.....unless you are or your family is using TOLL BY PLATE:conf used::conf used:

SUNPASS.COM since you or "no one you know" have no idea what I am talking about. And I am from Florida...Miami is where I was raised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I have much family and friends in Florida,no one i know has this transponder you speak of,when we go down a toll road we just pay the toll at the toll booth.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:22 PM

Thank you so much....your response was very helpful. I really appreciate that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unquiltom View Post
I believe that if you register your Sunpass, and you drive through a reader and the pass is not read, it then takes a pic of your tag. They can then match the tag with your Sunpass account and you won't get charged extra fees, they'll just charge the toll to your account same as if the Sunpass was read. If you don't have a Sunpass account, then you'll get charged extra fees for them to bill you by your tag.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:23 PM

[:LMAOOOOOOOO

quote=Joey Falcon;41361936]I think life in Florida may be too complicated 4 U.[/quote]

Last edited by LilBit305; 10-01-2015 at 09:38 PM..

Old 10-01-2015, 09:25 PM

That is so true.....Never thought about that. Thanks so much for your helpful response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
many cars have an antenna in the glass near the rear view mirror - placing the device under the antenna may block SunPass' ability to read your pass properly so be careful...they have good customer service, so give their folks a call if you have questions about placement.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:28 PM

I do not have any doubt that there won't be an problem.....My question is, does it have to be directly under the rearview mirror??
Can it be placed elsewhere in the windshield?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenoodle99 View Post
My sticker is right under my rear view mirror and I have never had a problem with it.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:34 PM

Thank you, I was under the assumption that it was mandated for all. I am from South Florida, so toll roads were my way of passage to nearly everywhere I went before I moved to Atlanta.
I hadn't seen or received that paper ticket in years since the Sunpass has been established....but I do agree with you, that having the transponder is faster and easier.

quote=Rabflmom;41360736]It is not a mandatory thing for all Florida residents to have the transponder, but a smart thing to have if you travel on the toll roads.

When you go South on the tollroad, there are no tolls where you can throw money in and hasn't been for years. Haven't been on it for a while and we have the transponder so not exactly sure how it works now; but if you didn't have sun pass or the one for South Florida you used get a paper from a person at the first entrance you make on the road and it automatically charges tolls till you get off and show another person in a booth your paper stamped with where you got on. It is much easier and faster to have the transponder/sticker.

The transponder needs to be in the center upper section of your windshield where they say it should be. It will still credit your paying if it is just off to the driver's side of the rear view mirror; but do not put it on the upper or lower sides of the wind shield.[/quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida