Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 05:37 AM

60 posts, read 68,222 times

Advertisements

I don't mean seasonal population explosions of snowbirds.

I want to know where in Florida there are the most new residents flocking to. I've seen websites like Sperlings best places, but those are only current up to 2014. Where in Florida, right now, are there tons of new housing developments spreading out from the cities into the surrounding countryside? Where do you drive through nowadays to see mass suburbia being constructed in otherwise rural areas?

On Sperlings Best places you can look specifically at the 2010-2014 population section and notice that in lots of places growth has plateaud or even gone down in places such as Port Saint Lucie during this time period. I've driven through a lot of Florida recently, and haven't really seen mass construction of new, suburban neighborhoods.

It's deceiving to look at statistics that aren't completely up to date.

I read about Poinciana, which had about a 200% population increase from 2000-2014. BUT, the population only grew slightly from 2010-2014. That, plus looking at a google satellite map, makes me think that Poinciana has no more room to spread.

I'd like to know this for my career. Where is the biggest population explosion currently happening in Florida?

Ideally, I'd like to move to the equivalent of what Poinciana was in the year 2000, right on the cusp of 200% population growth.

Is it possible that small towns within a half hour's drive of Jacksonville will be the next big boom towns? Of Florida's cities, Jacksonville had biggest population gain

Or does Osceola County still look like it's going to expand a lot around the Kissimmee area?

Perhaps the Sperling website only accounts for the population within city limits? That would explain the plateauing in some areas if the growth rate still continues unhindered outside the city limits into unincorporated areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 05:43 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,387,907 times
Poinciana turned into a place with gangs and foreclosures, and other bad things. And because it is hard to get anywhere from Poinciana, people were trapped in that mess. So anyone who could moved out of there.

Last edited by Joey Falcon; 09-28-2015 at 05:56 AM..

Old 09-28-2015, 06:25 AM

422 posts, read 409,296 times
The boomer rush to get a piece of "paradise" will fade (we are over the last hump of "booming growth") then florida will be passe (kind of sort of is already) I dont see Millenials running to come live in tacky florida.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:23 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,404,568 times
Growth is strong in SWFL. There are bad areas like any (Lehigh Acres for example) but with attractive housing prices, new business growth and a continued outwards migration from the Northeast and California, the trend is expected to continue.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:53 AM

296 posts, read 317,079 times
That would be awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseo1 View Post
The boomer rush to get a piece of "paradise" will fade (we are over the last hump of "booming growth") then florida will be passe (kind of sort of is already) I dont see Millenials running to come live in tacky florida.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:55 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,637,226 times
Why would someone wanna move to an area with mass suburbia being constructed?
How ugly.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:44 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,387,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Why would someone wanna move to an area with mass suburbia being constructed?
How ugly.
I know, like rich baby boomers are going to want to move to Osceola County?

Old 09-28-2015, 09:45 AM

536 posts, read 847,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Falcon View Post
I know, like rich baby boomers are going to want to move to Osceola County?
There are a couple thousand homeowners here in Bellalago that would completely disagree with the opinions expressed by Joey Falcon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NPgvzkJFXA

Old 09-28-2015, 02:46 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,102,711 times
Percentage wise the two fastest growing are the Orlando area and Southwest Florida. Miami metro might still be number one in raw numbers though.

Old 09-28-2015, 03:41 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,325,726 times
Boomer growth will slow substantially. The first wave of boomers were much better off financially than the following waves. Believe it or not boomers are also quite unhealthy which may impact their life expectancy as they get closer to natures culling years.

Ultimately the people living in an area must support the prices of housing via wages or via CONTINUOUS influx of buyers. Otherwise all you end up with is a bubble. Something FL real estate has been blowing and popping for decades and the future will be no different. Things will be especially bad once the boomers start to die off and there is no one left in the earlier generations looking to move here. FL won't be the hot spot forever. Especially as temperatures rise and sea levels increase FL is going to have quite a few major issues to contend with over the next two decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida