Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 08:31 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,625,316 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone! This thread is very helpful!

I'm more concerned with being bit by an angry, elderly, retired new yorker than an alligator. But it's good to know they may be in the salt water canal, I would be devastated if my curious german shepherd became alligator chow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Because that's actually illegal, although many people do it.
wow, good point to know. In Pa where i grew up it was required to use the 4 way flashers if you were traveling under 25mph on roads w/o minimum speed limits. They were also required if you were traveling at or under minimum speed on a freeway. that's probably not a law I would have researched.

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 08:35 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny536 View Post

I'm more concerned with being bit by an angry, elderly, retired new yorker than an alligator. But it's good to know they may be in the salt water canal, I would be devastated if my curious german shepherd became alligator chow.

wow, good point to know. In Pa where i grew up it was required to use the 4 way flashers if you were traveling under 25mph on roads w/o minimum speed limits. They were also required if you were traveling at or under minimum speed on a freeway. that's probably not a law I would have researched.

thanks!

Its also far more likely.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:39 AM

2,407 posts, read 3,188,935 times
We've been swimming at this beach so I was shocked they caught him in the Gulf. I thought if you stayed away from freshwater, brackish water and canals you'd be OK.
10-foot gator caught near Venice pier

Many of the homes have walkways that are recessed to get to the front door. Always look as you head out the front door. We found a 6 ft alligator right outside the front door. Scared me half to death. Fortunately we have a screened front so I at least had a little door he'd have to break through which would give me time to get into the house. He didn't do anything other than hiss at me then moved on. We have a pond behind our house had he swam back and forth the whole day. Was gone the next day.

Although I'm not a fan of spiders, I've only seen black widows and they were outside. It's the brown recluse that scares me.

Old 10-02-2015, 09:44 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,195,706 times
Just yesterday I met a woman who had lived in Deltona, the town my bff lives in and to where I head for next Friday until my lease starts on the 12th.

This woman scared the crap out of me and has me re-thinking my wonderful tropical rain forest complex. The stories of black widows, recluse spiders, poisonous caterpillars, coral snakes, scorpions, Palmettos. She is back up North now.

Could it be she wasn't a good housekeeper? Could one house have encounters with all of the above? The story she told me was I had to be vigilant every single day and be on the outlook for these things.

My friends in Deltona had told me they had never seen a snake, black widow, etc. except for Palmettos. Funny, gf and I were talking about cyotes and she said she didn't know if there were any around. One day I got to tell her yes, there are cyotes out there, I heard them howling in the distance as I was out on the lanai smoking.

I'm very disappointed in myself that I let this person evoke such fear in me. I knew living in Florida and especially that complex was going to be so different and I have already gained a healthy respect for the nature down there and am reading and learning from these forums but geez, Louise, will I be able to live a life NOT on constant alert??

Old 10-02-2015, 09:57 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,338,239 times
I can see how all these tales and warnings can scare a newcomer to Florida, but eventually, all this becomes normal to you. Gators, palmetto bugs...just another day in the sun.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:10 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,195,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
I can see how all these tales and warnings can scare a newcomer to Florida, but eventually, all this becomes normal to you. Gators, palmetto bugs...just another day in the sun.
Thanks, Crane's. I need to get back down there quick to get some sun and warmth. Got to 33° in a town near me last night and it's been raining for days so this convo yesterday just added to my "blues".

Old 10-02-2015, 11:39 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny536 View Post

thanks!
From a site I pulled the following:

"In Florida, it is illegal to drive with your hazard lights. Hazards lights are for stopped vehicles only, officials say.

The one situation where Florida drivers are allowed to use their hazards when in motion is when the vehicle is being used in a funeral procession . "

So unless you're in a funeral procession on the highway in pouring rain you can't have them on...

Old 10-02-2015, 11:48 AM

299 posts, read 377,888 times
And remember this "red on black friend of jack... red on yellow kill a fellow" This will differentiate a coral snake from a king snake.

Old 10-02-2015, 12:01 PM

17,184 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
Been here since 2002 and those things still give me the heebee-jeebees. LOL...

Gators (although fascinating to watch,) snakes, giant spiders, blood-sucking everythings... amoebas ...

I will say, I am quite fond of those giant Lubber Grasshoppers we have! Those things are super cool, and friendly! (They hiss at you if you scare them or get them angry... Never happened to me, so I guess they like me.)

Old 10-02-2015, 12:34 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,795,324 times
Hide your Yankee pride, sports teams, etc, if you would rather make new friends down here first. They'll know soon enough.

Outdoor cats control snakes, rats, mice, possums, armadillos, so be willing to share your yard with them. Spay or neuter.

Practice wearing flip flops around the house before you embarrass yourself on a mall escalator.

Watch out for wheelchairs and mobility scooters at dark intersections, they don't have lights, they are slow and low and nearly invisible.

If you live only a half hour from the beach, remember it will take even longer than that to find a good parking place and get to the water. Always be prepared to walk.

Get your CCW permit right away, and practice because it's not so easy to carry concealed when you normally wear so little. If you don't get used to it, you won't always do it. They are counting on this.

As mentioned earlier, keep a spare shirt in the car. Ditto some drinking water.

If it's raining enough to turn on wipers, turn on headlights as well so others can see you while texting.

Stay out of the left lane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida