Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2015, 06:29 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,343,712 times

Advertisements

We live in Volusia county, and honestly, and this is not bitterness but simply an observation, it's the worst place I've ever lived in my life. The mentality and compassion are just in the dirt, which is no surprise considering the number of right wing Republicans here. You would not believe how many people here just love Donald Trump.

I read this morning on the local Daytona newspaper that a new free health care clinic recently opened. That's great, BUT you have to have a job in order to receive health care, which mirrors the Daytona Jesus Clinic, which also restricts services to workers. The scheme is this.... if you're sick and you're not working for ANY reason, who cares? I have never in my life seen anything like this, anywhere. It's not based on need, it's based on who they consider to be a deadbeat. So if you're over 55 and have been looking for a job endlessly (and anyone that is in this age bracket understands what I'm talking about), too bad. You can just get sick.

We personally don't need this service, so as I said it's not about me, it's about the cruel and judgmental mindset here that permeates everything. There are no sliding scale or free clinics for adults here by the way, only limited services for children. The only criteria for treating sick people should be need, not this. I hope someone sues them to high heaven because this is not constitutionally valid.

We're lucky, because we sold our little place and are moving to another city in Florida that actually has free or affordable health care services for low income people regardless of why they are low income, but I feel sorry for the people here that think this sort of thing is the norm. It is not. And no, the Affordable Health Care Act does not cover this. You have to have at least $11,000 worth of income in a year to qualify for that, otherwise there is no assistance. Cute.

Last edited by smarino; 10-11-2015 at 06:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: