Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 11:52 AM

5,113 posts, read 5,942,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboytampabay View Post
I am a boater.. and have a couple of friends that live on the water.... I have not seen any rise in 30 years. The $300MM project in Miami Beach is just lining the pockets of the climate chance charlatans.
Thank you for your first hand input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2015, 12:00 PM

14,799 posts, read 11,943,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
I keep hearing that ocean levels are rising and Florida is supposed to be one of the areas affected by rising ocean levels. I'm a ocean boater and have launched from concrete boat ramps for decades but I have never noticed a change to the average water levels when taking the tide changes into consideration.

So with all the boaters and home owners on the water has anyone has noticed any changes to the ocean water levels?
Not really.

Old 10-17-2015, 12:08 PM

8,005 posts, read 7,115,716 times
It's worth noting that personal observations are going to be all over the map even if compared at exactly high tide. High tide on the waxing half moon this month here in Cocoa Beach is 3.8'. One week later on the full moon, high tide is 5.2'. That's a difference in one week of over 16" if measured exactly at high tide.

You should be measuring on half moon waxing if you have gullible listeners willing to dismiss global warming based on anecdotal observations.

Old 10-17-2015, 12:52 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,385,455 times
globull warming

Old 10-17-2015, 01:48 PM

17,455 posts, read 38,845,424 times
I was born and raised here in FL, in my sixth decade living near the coast and have not noticed any rising waters. It may be, but so slowly that it won't affect us in our lifetimes. Personally, I think a lot of flooding has to do with overdevelopment of the state.

Old 10-17-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
It's worth noting that personal observations are going to be all over the map even if compared at exactly high tide. High tide on the waxing half moon this month here in Cocoa Beach is 3.8'. One week later on the full moon, high tide is 5.2'. That's a difference in one week of over 16" if measured exactly at high tide.

You should be measuring on half moon waxing if you have gullible listeners willing to dismiss global warming based on anecdotal observations.
I'm not asking for people to take measurements. I'm just asking people if they personally noticed any changes to the water level. This is where boaters and ocean front owners come in. They would notice a change to water levels more than a person who lives inland and never visits the coast.

Being gullible works both ways. If a ocean front owner is told that the water level is rising and they will soon experience floods but the owner never notices any change in the water level then why would the home owner be gullible?

Should the home owner just accept what they are told and sell the house at a great loss just because someone told them their property will be worthless soon?

Old 10-17-2015, 03:32 PM

8,005 posts, read 7,115,716 times
Quote:
I'm not asking for people to take measurements. I'm just asking people if they personally noticed any changes to the water level. This is where boaters and ocean front owners come in. They would notice a change to water levels more than a person who lives inland and never visits the coast.

Being gullible works both ways. If a ocean front owner is told that the water level is rising and they will soon experience floods but the owner never notices any change in the water level then why would the home owner be gullible?

Should the home owner just accept what they are told and sell the house at a great loss just because someone told them their property will be worthless soon?
Is anyone selling at great loss now to get out before the coming flood? I haven't heard of any and selling prices don't seem to reflect some rising sea level panic.

I'm on the beach and in the river almost every day and my observations will still be worthless. My only point before was that the observations you're asking for are worthless. Unless the person observing knows exactly how high the tide is at the time of the observation it would be very easy to say, yep, high tide is higher than I remember it or the opposite. For a casual observation to be remotely relevant the observations would have to be at the exact same height tide, not just "high" and to have been made decades apart. Do you know the height of the full moon tide in your neighborhood last month? How about the full moon October tide in 2005?

Not saying that there aren't people who will benefit from global warming but asking for anecdotal observations will reveal nothing. It's no more accurate than asking a psychic.

Old 10-17-2015, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Is anyone selling at great loss now to get out before the coming flood? I haven't heard of any and selling prices don't seem to reflect some rising sea level panic.

I'm on the beach and in the river almost every day and my observations will still be worthless. My only point before was that the observations you're asking for are worthless. Unless the person observing knows exactly how high the tide is at the time of the observation it would be very easy to say, yep, high tide is higher than I remember it or the opposite. For a casual observation to be remotely relevant the observations would have to be at the exact same height tide, not just "high" and to have been made decades apart. Do you know the height of the full moon tide in your neighborhood last month? How about the full moon October tide in 2005?

Not saying that there aren't people who will benefit from global warming but asking for anecdotal observations will reveal nothing. It's no more accurate than asking a psychic.
The observations aren't worthless. We keep being told by mainstream media and government officials that the ocean levels are rising. They have even produced flood maps showing where the worst flooding will be in just a few years which includes many expensive coastal areas in Florida. With this type of information being published now with claims that climate scientists are the source of the information then who would spend big bucks on coastal property in Florida now? This information will start driving up insurance rates and drive down property values.

Am I not correct?

If I owned expensive water front property in Florida today I'm pretty sure would know by now if the water levels was rising.

Old 10-17-2015, 07:12 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,148,227 times
Quote:
My goal is to hear from real Floridians who have witnessed first hand the rising ocean due to global warming. I don't want to read more articles with political undertones from all walks of life. If you want to call that an agenda then so be it but I see it as trying to get real data and opinions from the people that are experiencing effects from the rising oceans.
I actually believed you were asking an honest question and gave you a real and honest answer and real experience, but you do not want to hear anything that does not suit your agenda. So please stop with the disingenuous trolling.

Why do I believe that you have an agenda and are trolling, and that you do not really "want to move to Florida"? Well....a sampling--

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post41590615

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post41586504

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post41580770

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post41580711

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post41579902

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post41578963

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post41571049

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...tions-nonsense

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post41568185

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post41395015

Old 10-17-2015, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I actually believed you were asking an honest question and gave you a real and honest answer and real experience, but you do not want to hear anything that does not suit your agenda. So please stop with the disingenuous trolling.

Why do I believe that you have an agenda and are trolling, and that you do not really "want to move to Florida"? Well....a sampling--

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post41590615

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post41586504

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post41580770

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post41580711

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post41579902

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post41578963

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post41571049

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...tions-nonsense

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post41568185

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post41395015
I am asking an honest question and I have been thinking of moving to Florida. Obviously from the links you posted I also don't believe in the Global Warming or Climate Change agenda. I think it's a scam. This is why I wanted first hand observations and opinions from people who currently live in Florida. If the people who live in Florida don't see any change in ocean levels then that's good information for all of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida