Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 05:35 AM

90 posts, read 92,241 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

After years of finally trying to land a job in FL, I finally got an offer. The job comes with a starting salary of about 75k. So here is my question....Is 75k a good enough income to support a family? The location of the job is still up for debate because there are openings literally all over FL, so I can choose the "area" of FL where I would like to live. I am partial to the West Palm, Orlando, Tampa areas (not really into Jax or Miami). It would be my wife and I, and our daughter. Hopefully we can have at least 1 more baby as well, but for now its just the three of us. So is 75k good enough in those areas? I will probably be renting for a year or so, while the wife finishes her degree, and then we would probably look to buy. So what do you think Floridians...Is it enough to live a comfortable life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 06:23 AM

299 posts, read 377,607 times
Tampa and Orlando have lower housing costs.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:24 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,440,025 times
You might want to consider the Sarasota area. Has good schools, reasonable housing and living costs (if you don't get in Duke Energy service area)

Old 10-21-2015, 07:38 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,334,729 times
I would say your money stretches further in Tampa, Orlando than W. Palm in that order. Tampa and Orlando are fairly comparable but I would say W. Palm is noticeably more expensive than the other two. After that it's just matter of preference, coast v. central part of the state, etc. It's not alot of money, but you can live comfortably in these two metro areas on that salary.

Old 10-21-2015, 09:55 AM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
You can easily live comfortably in Jax on that income. But since you don't like Jax I would think Orlando is the next best bet for good QOL with low COL. If you're fiscally wise you'll be fine.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:21 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,444,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboytampabay View Post
Tampa and Orlando have lower housing costs.
Agree!

Old 10-21-2015, 10:49 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
$75K is "enough" to live in Central Florida for many people, but, not enough for others. It's not a matter of how much you make, but, how much you spend. There are a number of cost of living calculators online that will let you compare your current location with other cities.

Cost of living: How far will my salary go in another city? - CNNMoney

Florida cities are widely diverse -- You will be happier if you first focus on where you really want to live (amenities, weather, beach proximity, schools, entertainment, transportation, etc) ... and then figure-out how to make $75K work there. We lived in Central Florida for almost 40-years (Tampa, Kissimmee and Satellite Beach and now Destin). I would move back to Satellite Beach in a heartbeat ... if the grandkids lived there!

Old 10-21-2015, 03:19 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCPJP View Post
Hello All,

After years of finally trying to land a job in FL, I finally got an offer. The job comes with a starting salary of about 75k. So here is my question....Is 75k a good enough income to support a family? The location of the job is still up for debate because there are openings literally all over FL, so I can choose the "area" of FL where I would like to live. I am partial to the West Palm, Orlando, Tampa areas (not really into Jax or Miami). It would be my wife and I, and our daughter. Hopefully we can have at least 1 more baby as well, but for now its just the three of us. So is 75k good enough in those areas? I will probably be renting for a year or so, while the wife finishes her degree, and then we would probably look to buy. So what do you think Floridians...Is it enough to live a comfortable life?
If you can downsize your expectations from what is probably your current living conditions (i.e. down to a two/three bedroom apartment/condominium, or even a 3/2 townhouse) it shouldn't be an issue. I would urge you to focus on more family-friendly areas with good schools (whether your daughter is school-age or not) as there are a good number of areas you wouldn't want to place your family into in terms of rental communities. I would suggest if leaning toward Tampa to check out areas like Palm Harbor, Oldsmar, East Lake, Countryside (NE Clearwater) and Westchase (NW Tampa) which are convenient to much of Tampa in terms of a commute and very family-friendly. In the Orlando area check out the NE suburbs of Lake Mary/Sanford, Oviedo and Winter Springs (east side around Tuscawilla).

Old 10-21-2015, 04:49 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,911,705 times
Depends on your expenses. If I were single I'd be fine on that, but with a family, I couldn't. But we have a ton of expenses so we need to make about $120-125k a yr as a family of 4.

I'd pick Jax between the places you mentioned, but I agree, Miami would definitely be of my list too. So would West Palm Bch.

Look into Oviedo and Winter Springs, and also Lake Mary in the Orlando area. These are the three safest, more tight-knit communities.

Old 10-22-2015, 04:50 AM

90 posts, read 92,241 times
My number one priority is definitely schools. Coming from CT, where education is really the only positive about the state, I want to make sure that when my daughter is ready to go to school, she be in an A-rated school. I definitely won't budge on that. If i have to live in a shack, just to be able to afford private schooling, then that's a sacrifice that I will have to make. Finding an A-rated public school district would be preferred.

As far as expenses go (other than utilities, groceries, gas, etc. ), I currently have 2 car payments (which are very close to being paid off), and a few thousand left in student loans. I will also have to find a good daycare/preschool for my daughter. How much does good childcare cost in FL? I am currently paying $350 a week here in CT.

My main reason for leaving the state is taxes. Everyone property taxes just doubled and I am now paying $18k a year in property taxes, and that doesn't include car taxes which is currently another $1300 a year. We are even being taxed every time is rains! They tax us on using the street drains when it rains! It's unreal. It's impossible to live in CT comfortably, unless your making over $200k. No wonder why CT is the number 2 state in the country for residents fleeing the state.

Last edited by SCPJP; 10-22-2015 at 05:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida