Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2015, 04:08 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,897,566 times

Advertisements

So I posted this on a different thread that happened to remind me of it, but really, it was not related to that thread. After posting the link I got sucked into watching the movie yet again, and once again I enjoyed it so much, I thought it really needs a thread of its own!

The documentary is called "My Life as a Turkey," and although one would not think so by the title, it is really one of the most profound movies I've ever seen. It's definitely the best documentary on Wild Florida I've ever seen. And it's not just about turkeys, not at all.

You can watch the whole thing here: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xvc...-hd_shortfilms

I originally saw it on Netflix where it had high reviews, but I don't think it's streaming anymore, I think now you have to rent the DVD.

The documentary was filmed in Northern Florida, and has spectacular views of wild landscape and native species that few humans ever get to see. The story itself is also a beautiful and interesting one. I've seen it maybe 3 or 4 times now, and each time I notice new details I hadn't before. The story is a pretty universal one, and pretty much everyone no matter who you are or where you come from would be able to relate to some part of it. Of course it's possible to oversell it, but I definitely think everyone should see "My Life As A Turkey" at least once in their lives. I think the world would be a better place if all humans saw it.

Although a lot of things about the documentary interest me, one thing that was nice was to be able to see backcountry Florida in a way that I have not yet been able to do myself. As a kid in the Northeast, I used to spend almost as much time outside as this guy did! But since moving to Florida, I do not have the comfort with either the climate or the living things here to be able to stay out virtually all day every day like I once did. I knew every species of plant and animal up North, but in Florida I still can't even identify 1/4 of them. I hope to get better at it. But in the meantime, it's great to be able to see Florida the way much of it looked before it became part of the US. I myself am not into swamp, but the way this is shot really gives one a deep appreciation for what most of the interior of the state once looked like. Now that we get more and more tourists and new residents every year, we will lose more and more of this wild land unless we FL citizens do something specific to protect it. I am hoping by the time I feel knowledgeable enough to spend days at a time deep in the Florida wild away from civilization, all of these natural areas will not be gone.

I hope others will take an hour to watch the film, either for the views, for the heartwarming story, or because you are an animal lover.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2015, 08:42 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,674,034 times
Thanks for posting! Added to your rep. I look forward to watching.

Old 10-25-2015, 08:15 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
I just finished watching it and totally loved it! It makes me want to not eat Turkey now haha.

Old 10-25-2015, 09:16 PM

192 posts, read 375,881 times
Great show!

Thanks!

Old 10-26-2015, 03:33 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,897,566 times
So glad some people have enjoyed this doc already! I hope more of you will check it out!

For those who want to learn more, there are some interviews with the guy online, and remember that he wrote a book that the documentary is based on, so check that out if you're looking for something to read.

He also wrote two more books from similar experiences, one on bighorn sheep, and one on mule deer. The mule deer experience, which took place in Wyoming, likewise took about 7 years, and another documentary was made to cover it. That too can be found online for free, I think at the same site listed above for the other one. I checked it out, and while I did enjoy it, for me it did not match how truly great "My Life As a Turkey" is. That one is just really profound and touching in a way that is hard to ever re-create in another film.

Old 10-29-2015, 07:44 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,142,497 times
Really interesting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida