U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 09:30 PM

19 posts, read 22,631 times

Advertisements

I am a fan of my current town, but because the cold is causing me more and more pain each year, I'd like to move someplace warmer. Does anyone know of a Florida town similar to Hillsborough? I have an autistic daughter and 2 other elementary school kids, so a good community and school system are key and want safe, family friendly, social life, little bit of culture and things to do with the kids. Thinking of houses in the 500-700 range.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 10:01 PM

3,642 posts, read 8,844,777 times
Nothing in Florida is like Hillsborough. Florida schools in general are not that great. I would go on Great Schools to look for highly rated schools. I have children in Sarasota County which - I am told - is one of the "better" school systems. It is safe and friendly here and you can get a very nice home in the 500 to 700 range. Sarasota County has autistic units but I don't know how good they are.

Old 10-28-2015, 08:08 AM

2,400 posts, read 2,787,492 times
This thread may shed some light on how FL would be for your autistic daughter. //www.city-data.com/forum/saras...nice-area.html

We just moved (retired) down here from the Morristown area in NJ. I am familiar with the services offered special ed students in NJ. You will not find the level of services for special ed in other parts of the country. I was speaking with a lifeguard at the Somerset Hills YMCA who has an autistic child. She told me that there are a number of web sites for people who have children that require special ed classes to communicate and share their knowledge. Many of the posters on those sites recommend moving to NJ. She went on to say that she was originally from VA and that she knew people from Ohio and other states that were in her child's class that came to NJ just for the education opportunities. As she put it, "It's hard to improve something that isn't there to begin with."

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that's just how it is. NJ and NY provide many more resources for children requiring additional services than other states.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:53 PM

23,897 posts, read 37,083,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessenj View Post
I am a fan of my current town, but because the cold is causing me more and more pain each year, I'd like to move someplace warmer. Does anyone know of a Florida town similar to Hillsborough? I have an autistic daughter and 2 other elementary school kids, so a good community and school system are key and want safe, family friendly, social life, little bit of culture and things to do with the kids. Thinking of houses in the 500-700 range.
There are a number of options similar to Hillsborough in terms of demographics, family-friendly safe neighborhoods, cultural and social options and with quality schools. A few recommendations I would provide are Broward County's Parkland (northwest of Ft Lauderdale) or Cooper City (which is situated ideally halfway between Ft Lauderdale and Miami in a low density area). I would also look at Palm City in Martin County about 40 miles north of West Palm Beach.

Bear in mind when investigating areas that compare well to where you are now that you'll need to look at average Educational Attainment which bears a considerable difference if accustomed to being around a generally well-educated population. Parkland for instance comes in right around a whopping 60% of residents holding a Bachelor's Degree or higher, which is well above the FL average (30%) and can often be as low as 25%-28% in some instances.

Old 10-28-2015, 02:42 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,249,053 times
Everybody wants an exact copy of where they came from, instead of just accepting what is. If the place you are leaving is so great, why are you coming here?

Old 10-28-2015, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Falcon View Post
Everybody wants an exact copy of where they came from, instead of just accepting what is. If the place you are leaving is so great, why are you coming here?
As expressed in the OP's post, cold weather and the pain it inflicts is the impetus for her move. Reading is fundamental....and to the OP goes back to what I mentioned in my post. You'll see the correlation.

Old 10-28-2015, 03:33 PM

^Warm weather is not a good reason to move here if you have special needs kids. This is one of the worst states for special needs in the nation.

This thread is reminding me of that one where the girl on Section 8 and stamps wanted to move here just be be near Epcot.

Old 10-29-2015, 06:55 AM

Quote:
^Warm weather is not a good reason to move here if you have special needs kids. This is one of the worst states for special needs in the nation.

This thread is reminding me of that one where the girl on Section 8 and stamps wanted to move here just be be near Epcot.
It is a good reason if one suffers debilitating pain from Fibromyalgia, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus or similar diseases triggered by cold weather which prevails for 5-6 months of the year and four to five times more likely to commit suicide due to the consistent, severe pain. Still sound like a bad idea?

Beyond that the better school districts here are on par or sometimes better than other states and is the case across the board, parenting/discipline is what truly determines academic success and isn't solely about the school itself despite those who think all of the responsibility falls at the feet of teachers/school administrators.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:24 AM

Well, I've never been to Hillsborough, NJ and I don't knw what its like there so my advice is to move somewhere in Hillsborough County Florida, because it has the same name.

That's the best advice I can give.

Old 10-29-2015, 11:52 AM

4,954 posts, read 6,614,366 times
Quote:
Wish I could rep you X 10,000!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida