Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 04:45 PM

119 posts, read 219,572 times

Advertisements

Nothing really went the way I wanted in SC. So it appears coming back to FL is the only solution.

I know that it has gotten worse in Daytona with the thugs and all, but where is the best area to move? I know East Port Orange is to be avoided, South Daytona(mostly east as well), Daytona Beachside(from Seabreeze-Orange), but anywhere else?

I am looking at Ormond(good areas only), Shores, Daytona, West Port Orange.

And is it hard to find work? I have my income but want a real life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2015, 05:51 PM

681 posts, read 1,044,904 times
It's been a few years since I moved out of Florida, 2011. I was living in Daytona Beach, I've heard it's gone downhill as well.
I'd recommend Ormond Beach and Port Orange.
Avoid South Daytona for sure as it's much worse than Daytona Beach as it is.

Keep in mind it's very touristy and Bike week and Nascar make it a nightmare during big events.

Old 10-17-2015, 06:02 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,319,497 times
If you're moving back to FL to start over again, why not chose a different area? Daytona and the surrounding area has nothing going for it.

Old 10-17-2015, 07:18 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,140,103 times
Get a free crime reports app. They tell you the location and type of crime reported. There are probably web sites with the same info. I used crime report app last spring before house hunting in the Ormond Beach/Daytona Beach area. I didn't notice many areas I would worry about. But you might have different concerns.

Old 10-18-2015, 05:56 AM

27,164 posts, read 43,857,618 times
I noticed in your posts that you've been living in Hartsville SC which is kind of rural and doesn't offer a lot which is understandable in terms of leaving, but you're headed back to a similar situation without much promise of change. If you don't have anything specific bringing you back, why not consider a place in the same geographic area that has much more opportunity in terms of jobs and things to do? I'd recommend checking out places like Charleston, Columbia or Greenville-Spartanburg in SC and the Charlotte NC-Rock Hill SC area too. All have thriving economies and lower costs of living too.

Old 10-18-2015, 03:31 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,340,178 times
If I were staying in Volusia county (and we can't wait to move from it to St. Pete, so I'm not) the only two places I would live are NSB or Ormond. But why are you limiting yourself to Volusia county, a place that has the lowest housing costs, but also the lowest rankings in everything else imaginable? From my one visit, Tampa/St. Pete offer so much more it's not funny. There's a lot more work there too. Unless you have a good, needed skill, this area is all about low paying service jobs w/o benefits.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:44 AM

745 posts, read 1,582,359 times
Port Orange, Ponce Inlet, Daytona Beach Shores, and Ormond are all nice. New Smyrna too. Just avoid Daytona Beach proper and. Of course, Holly Hill. Still, the area has gone downhill, and the Tampa Bay Area beats it a million times over. But if you insist on that area, seek out Ponce Inlet or Port Orange.

Old 10-19-2015, 02:35 PM

681 posts, read 1,044,904 times
Forgot about Holly hill, yup stay away from there for sure, that's even worse than Daytona Beach areas. I do miss it and do plan to drive by and see how it's changed, however If I do end up back in Florida, I would be going to Jacksonville.

Old 10-29-2015, 01:05 AM

119 posts, read 219,572 times
My brother is in Daytona. That's where I was before I left for Fl. I had recently thought of Columbia, Lexington in SC but I don't have anyone close there but a second cousin who I hardly asociated with and someone I went to school with who I am close with online. And I haven't been able to have much of a say in where I want to live. And the cost of living is actually a little high outside of main Columbia, which may not be the safest area to reside. I would have to go the roommate route.

There are definitely other areas I prefer to Daytona. But I know nobody in those areas, other than when I was in Brevard County when my sister was there, who's now in Virginia.

Old 10-29-2015, 05:44 AM

27,164 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by william29 View Post
My brother is in Daytona. That's where I was before I left for Fl. I had recently thought of Columbia, Lexington in SC but I don't have anyone close there but a second cousin who I hardly asociated with and someone I went to school with who I am close with online. And I haven't been able to have much of a say in where I want to live. And the cost of living is actually a little high outside of main Columbia, which may not be the safest area to reside. I would have to go the roommate route.

There are definitely other areas I prefer to Daytona. But I know nobody in those areas, other than when I was in Brevard County when my sister was there, who's now in Virginia.
Sorry if this comes off as cruel/rude but maybe it's time to put on the "big boy pants" and move someplace where you can find a good job with decent pay and build a life (or even a career) for yourself. Simply moving back to a place like Volusia County which has very little going for it other than familiarity and a sibling living there doesn't offer up much for a life plan. Also the cost of living in Columbia SC is at or below the national average on varying costs ranging from housing to food. The suburbs (Forest Acres, Lexington, Irmo and Blythewood for example) are less expensive and safer though Columbia proper is no worse than Daytona Beach and like any city has many good areas with a few bad ones. It's usually pretty easy to avoid the high crime areas when choosing housing from my experiences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida