Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 09:09 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,549,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I agree with the bolded part. Doing volunteer work shows you are responsible and reliable. But your daughter needs to find a part time job that pays. She can use this volunteer work as a reference and put it down like it was a paying job.

Than it takes longer for her to get her degree. She won't be the first person who had go an extra semester or two.

You didn't answer my question about having Internet at home, if you can afford that and cable TV you should be buying your own groceries.
I have a special low rate internet price I qualify for and no cable and no tv. My daughter needs internet because one of her classes is mostly online and because her teachers often email her updates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2015, 09:09 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
This is a very myopic view, helping her get a college education helps society in the long run, we need to revamp our workforce, your very antiquated view will assure that more people join the ranks of the working poor resulting in increasing the very thing you complain about (public assistance).
Not quite true. We now have an entitlement society. People who think it is their right to get assistance rather than support themselves.

I know someone(not in FL) who gets EBT. They work, but they don't go over a certain number of hours(meaning extra shifts/days) because if they do they would lose the food stamps. They also have a smart phone, tablet, Wi Fi at home, and full cable including Showtime channels.

They told me this with a straight face, they don't think it is wrong, they're quite frank that rather than say work one more day a week and buy their own groceries they don't so they can get EBT.

We have millions of people in this country now who think like this, why work for something if I can get it for free. They're not horrible people they have just been "conditioned" to think this is normal. It didn't used to be, people used to take pride in paying their own freight.

The daughter needs to get a part time job, if she can volunteer 20 hours a week she can get a part time job.

Old 11-08-2015, 09:35 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,450,618 times
Quote:
We now have an entitlement society. People who think it is their right to get assistance rather than support themselves.

We have millions of people in this country now who think like this, why work for something if I can get it for free. They're not horrible people they have just been "conditioned" to think this is normal. It didn't used to be, people used to take pride in paying their own freight.

The daughter needs to get a part time job, if she can volunteer 20 hours a week she can get a part time job.
This.

Old 11-08-2015, 09:43 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
Florida along with most of the country recently changed their food stamps rules making it harder to qualify for food stamps. The reason I think is because the unemployment levels have gone down. Some say the changes are a good thing others call them heartless.

My daughter applied for food stamps and was denied. She is a full time college student and she volunteers more then 80 hours a month at a local school. She has won awards for her volunteer work and they do appreciate and need her.

The crazy thing is that if she was not a college student and did that much volunteer work she would still be eligible for food stamps under the rules if I read them correctly but because she is a college student her volunteer work suddenly does not count. This makes no sense to me. It also states that if she was working and getting paid 80 hours a month while also a student she would be eligible for food stamps but if she is donating her work for free she is not eligible? That also makes no sense to me. They do not allow students to volunteer their time like they do everyone else. I would presume that somebody who is getting paid for their work has some money for food but somebody like my daughter working for free needs it even more. Now she may not be able to donate as much time to the school as she was before .

College students in Florida are being punished for donating their time to their communities through volunteer work by having their foods stamps taken away. It is not easy to be a full time college student. My daughter tells me that in one of her classes they discussed the issue and many of the students reported being on the " ramen noodle diet" and struggling to afford food. I think they should allow college students who volunteer to receive food stamps.
Why doesn't she get a paying job so she doesn't need food stamps? If she can work 80 hours a month for free surely she can work 80 hours a month at a paying job. Can you help her with food? Food stamps should truly be a last resort for those who have no other options.

Old 11-08-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:
I have a special low rate internet price I qualify for and no cable and no tv. My daughter needs internet because one of her classes is mostly online and because her teachers often email her updates.
Really? Because on another thread about the FL Keys you mention watching a TV show called "Bloodline" and Netflix.

If you're ordering Netflix you can pay for your own groceries. I get my DVDs at the library for free.

Old 11-08-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Why doesn't she get a paying job so she doesn't need food stamps? If she can work 80 hours a month for free surely she can work 80 hours a month at a paying job. Can you help her with food? Food stamps should truly be a last resort for those who have no other options.

Just what I said, while volunteer work is admirable it should be done by people who are either retired or aren't "on the dole", a part time job working 20 hours a week, even at minimum wage will more than pay for groceries.

As you said food stamps should be a last resort, not for people who just don't want to work or work less than they could in order to qualify.

I mentioned earlier someone I know who told me with a straight face how they couldn't work one extra shift a week because they would lose their EBT. They really didn't think there was anything wrong with this.

This is what you now have in this country. It used to be most people would do whatever they could to avoid govt. assistance, now they consider it a right.

Old 11-08-2015, 09:58 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,178,983 times
Oh my God...
Isn't this the norm these days??

Everyone wants a free ride--
Volunteering-- but can't work?!

Work harder, people--
Millions on welfare depend on you

UNBELIEVABLE

Old 11-08-2015, 10:13 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,049,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Oh my God...
Isn't this the norm these days??

Everyone wants a free ride--
Volunteering-- but can't work?!

Work harder, people--
Millions on welfare depend on you

UNBELIEVABLE
You are painting with some broad strokes. Volunteering or as some call it "internships" can open doors that might not be available otherwise. Given the information provided; lack of resources, transportation etc, I commend her for attempting to better her lot in life. With a workforce participation rate hovering at an all time low, maybe, just maybe, this person can rise above her situation. It certainly sounds like she is trying.

Old 11-08-2015, 10:21 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,549,392 times
Quote:
Really? Because on another thread about the FL Keys you mention watching a TV show called "Bloodline" and Netflix.

If you're ordering Netflix you can pay for your own groceries. I get my DVDs at the library for free.
It was a free trial and I no longer have it if you must know. Why are you at me so much ? I get dvds from the library for free too unless I miss getting them back on time and have to pay.

Old 11-08-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCguy81 View Post
You are painting with some broad strokes. Volunteering or as some call it "internships" can open doors that might not be available otherwise. Given the information provided; lack of resources, transportation etc, I commend her for attempting to better her lot in life. With a workforce participation rate hovering at an all time low, maybe, just maybe, this person can rise above her situation. It certainly sounds like she is trying.
Yes, volunteering can open doors. That is why the daughter can put this experience down to look for paid employment. BTW, I was in a small community this weekend(not if FL) walking down their main shopping area, wasn't looking but saw 3 businesses with Help Wanted signs. There are certainly jobs in central FL that may not pay much, but would be perfect for a college student.

So let's not pretend with unemployment rate at an all time low that there aren't any jobs.

As I mentioned earlier there is a now a mentality in this country(and especially among younger people) of why work for something if I can get it for free. That is exactly what this situation is, just great a way to instill values.

Quote:
It was a free trial and I no longer have it if you must know. Why are you at me so much ? I get dvds from the library for free too unless I miss getting them back on time and have to pay.
Well let's say you're telling the truth(you previously said you didn't own a TV and you clearly do), I'm "on you so much" because I am sick and tired of people who think the govt. owes them something in regards to paying their way.

As Momma Bear said, someone who can go a volunteer work position for 20 hours a week and perform assigned tasks, can go to a part time paying job and perform tasks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: