Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 02:56 PM

14,945 posts, read 12,139,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
The best way to kill roaches is to exhaust them to death. You usually on see them when you turn on the lights at night, right? So switch on the light, when you see one, immediately switch it off. Do this about 100 times quickly and they'll get so worn out, they'll keel over.
ROFL, have you ever heard the little buggers cussing at you under their breaths as you do this?

That's about thd time they'd decide to squeeze their bodies under the closed sliding glass doors to get away from those crazy humans!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 02:59 PM

14,945 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Roaches love beer and wine for whatever reason.
After you have a beer (or wine) at night, leave a little bit at the bottom of the cup.
Place it somewhere dark and let it sit overnight. By morningtime, you'll see a crapload of dead roaches in the cup. Good way to kill them.
Or maybe a bunch of loaded roaches, those are pretty resilient critters, yanno. LOL, and I'm sure they would also love an invite to your next party!

Old 11-18-2015, 07:25 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times
You can have your house as clean as possible, and still not avoid cockroaches. My mom's house (Coral Gables) had a problem with roaches that had a nest inside the kitchen walls, behind the sink. I think it died down a bit, but the year before I left home and headed west, it was horrible!

Don't buy into the palmetto bug malarkey. This is what the roaches look like! http://www.pestcontrol-knoxville.com...8035Medium.jpg That ain't no palmetto bug!

That being said, I prefer roaches to lizards. At least I have no qualms of stepping on a roach. A lizard sends crippling shivers down my spine.

Old 11-19-2015, 01:38 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,933,545 times
Been here,North FL since 1988 and not a one in home,be clean and you will be o'k,rinse cans and bottles,keep garbage air tight,plug any entry ways.

Old 11-19-2015, 01:57 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have seen the little green anoles eat surprisingly big beetles, but never anything as large as a palmetto bug. Too bad, because those little lizards are cute.
While the anoles might be a little small to take out a full grown palmetto bug, their cousins the red-headed skinks are definitely big enough to think that those bugs are nummy, nummy treats.

Old 07-27-2020, 05:01 AM

1 posts, read 775 times
I am a local and native. First, the Palmetto bug IS A ROACH! It’s the American Cockroach! I have lived in several homes throughout my 40 years and I can guarantee you that even keeping a clean home won’t keep you from seeing a “palmetto bug” every now and again. My mom and dad always kept a super clean and pristine home, they also always had a pest control service. However, I remember seeing palmetto bugs every now and again. As an adult and having my own home, I have rented and now own. Renting does not mean you will have roaches! If you rent from a decent management company or even private landlord, your rental should not include roaches! I rented several places when younger and never had a roach problem, but as with any home, saw the occasional palmetto. Now owning a home, I have a pest control company, keep all laundry up and off floor and in a hamper, never leave food out, or dishes in sink, and keep my home very clean, but again, see the occasional palmetto, usually after we have had a lot of rain. And I tend to see them more in the garage. Now, let’s talk more about palmettos and small roaches. Small roaches without wings are usually Germans. Germans will infest a home and fast!!!! They like living inside, and if one gets in, they will take over. Palmettos or the American cockroach prefer to live outside but will find their way inside your home, every now and again. They can fit through tiny cracks and come up drains. I have a huge tree out front of my home, and my yard is Florida friendly, meaning I have river rock instead of grass. When the leaves fall, they pile on top of the rock which is the perfect living environment for palmettos. I see them frequently outside, but only when raking. So, when it comes to palmettos, seeing one ever so often is very normal! It does NOT mean you’re dirty! Seeing a tiny German roach, even one, I would call pest control ASAP! If you can afford the extra expense, I would always suggest having pest control no matter what when living in Florida!

Old 07-27-2020, 05:07 AM

30,431 posts, read 21,241,024 times
Never see any jenny.

Old 07-27-2020, 12:34 PM

10,951 posts, read 3,692,815 times
I have no roach problems, never did, and I have lived in Fl since 1973, and NEVER Will.

Now the Pesky sugar/ghost/grease Ants drive us crazy, but I fight them and I am not about to give Truly Nolen, nor Terminix a frikenn contract for a year, when some day I will conquer them.

Roaches want water (Dripping faucets, Pets Water Bowls) and rubbish, you eliminate both from your home, and they will never have a thing to do in there.

BTW do not ever invest money on Coffee Makers with water Reservoirs in them....The Roaches just Love that contraption and will breed faster than rats in your home...

Old 07-27-2020, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
The best way to kill roaches is to exhaust them to death. You usually on see them when you turn on the lights at night, right? So switch on the light, when you see one, immediately switch it off. Do this about 100 times quickly and they'll get so worn out, they'll keel over.
No way ray am i am gonna turn off a light a 100 times a nite dwight to play silly games milly with a roach on a broach. I don't have any anyways.

Old 07-27-2020, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huasho View Post
I have no roach problems, never did, and I have lived in Fl since 1973, and NEVER Will.

Now the Pesky sugar/ghost/grease Ants drive us crazy, but I fight them and I am not about to give Truly Nolen, nor Terminix a frikenn contract for a year, when some day I will conquer them.

Roaches want water (Dripping faucets, Pets Water Bowls) and rubbish, you eliminate both from your home, and they will never have a thing to do in there.

BTW do not ever invest money on Coffee Makers with water Reservoirs in them....The Roaches just Love that contraption and will breed faster than rats in your home...
Sometimes in the garage i see a big jacked up roach that flies sly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida